CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All,
I'm a 60 year old rider who has just sold my '01 Kawasaki W650 (yes; the Bonneville look-alike) and I thoroughly enjoyed that small thing for years, even as I grew bigger.....finally realized I need a bigger bike that actually is comfortable for my wife, too. I'm really stuck trying to decide between the CTX 1300 Deluxe with a backrest-tailbox versus the F6B. Anyone ridden both? Riding impressions? How about with your wife or significant other on the back? What do they report? Reliability? I know the basic monstro GoldWing is way too much for my tastes and the F6B is pushing it....but it felt delicious under me in the store....
Opinions? I'm also looking at a Triumph Trophy.....I need an upright riding position with pegs NOT pushed forward.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi, All,
I'm a 60 year old rider who has just sold my '01 Kawasaki W650 (yes; the Bonneville look-alike) and I thoroughly enjoyed that small thing for years, even as I grew bigger.....finally realized I need a bigger bike that actually is comfortable for my wife, too. I'm really stuck trying to decide between the CTX 1300 Deluxe with a backrest-tailbox versus the F6B. Anyone ridden both? Riding impressions? How about with your wife or significant other on the back? What do they report?
I also wanted a bigger bike because my wife is with me 60-70% of the time. I have the top box and tall windshield and we are comfortable. My wife suffers a lot of joint pain so comfort for her is VERY important and she says that the back rest on the top box gives her good support and confidence. We love it.

Reactions: jerrysander

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jerry,

I too had a W650...had to be one of my favorite bikes of all time!

I have owned a GoldWing, and have sat on the F6B, and currently have a CTX 1300. It really gets down to how mobile are you? The reason being is that the CTX 1300 is as comfortable as the Goldwing/F6B, but is lighter and not as wide. You will have a little bit more wind on you, but it is easier to maneuver in tight spaces.

If you still like to tour much, I would go with the heavier bike, the F6B. But, if you have an occasion to tour, but most of the time you are going for a ride, the CTX 1300 is the answer for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Chris. Sounds encouraging. I did like the bike as far as I could tell sitting on it. What color did you get? The Deluxe or Standard?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I own two CTX1300s. I used to own a Trophy. I have ridden an F6B and I owned a proper Gold Wing.

In the short-term, the Trophy was the best of the bunch. It was by far the most comfortable seating position I've ever experienced. The windshield was awesome. But it had four major failures in the eight months I rode it.* I could not trust the Triumph to get me home from the grocery store. I traded the Triumph for a second CTX1300.

The CTX puts your feet just a bit ahead of where they go on the F6B. The Triumph has your feet almost under your butt. It is much easier to stand up on the Trophy.

The F6B is bulkier at slow speed compared to the CTX1300. The F6B is smoother. I prefer the CTX for the lighter weight. The CTX also seems to be less affected by cross winds and trucks.

I've not carried a passenger on any of these bikes (unless you count the deer I carried down the road for a hundred feet or so). For solo touring I think the CTX1300 Deluxe is the best bike available.

I really enjoyed all of the bikes you mentioned. I recommend you pick one of the Hondas for the better reliability. I like ABS. That's not available on the US version of the F6B. At the current prices it would be hard to pass up the CTX1300.

Read the old posts in the forums to see what the various riders complain about. You might also want to read some Gold Wing and ST1300 forums to learn more about the engines and transmissions.

*By major failures I mean twice stranded with absolutely no power and twice with failures that made the engine light stay on.

Reactions: jerrysander

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Miks. I'm going guess for the next three years or so it'll largely be local rides, with an occasional 3-4 hour tour destination. After that....I'd like to make some bigger trips. Sounds like either would work. The extra $$$$ for the F6B is a factor; if it were no object, I might go that way. But a lot of people are indicating the CTX 1300 (especially the Deluxe?) has everything I might need....including comfortable seating for my wife. Putting a tailbox on a F6B defeats the whole purpose of a trimmed Wing...might as well get The Wing, which I sat on today and felt was too huge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, Kevin. Disappointing about the Triumphs. I liked sitting on one, but wondered if it were top-heavy. Was a good seating position. I go back and forth between the F6B and the CTX 1300. In reality, money is always a factor. The bigger bang for the buck seems to be with the CTX in the short run...Long run (and I just held onto my old W650 for 14 years, so I'm a long-term kind of guy) I wonder if I'll be kicking myself down the road when I start touring more two-up to NOT have gotten the F6B. I think it's going to come down to how my wife reacts to the seat on the F6B deluxe (with that back lower lumbar support only, versus the full tailbox on the CTX). Y'know?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
After riding Wings from 1983 to present day I can tell you that if the wing felt "too huge" sitting still in the showroom, just wait til' you're paddling around a crowded parking lot 2 up. I've replaced the 1800GW with the CTX1300 and the confidence the lose of 100+ pounds brings it's rider is very rewarding. Difficult maneuvers are a breeze on the "smaller" bike, and there is power to do most anything you are likely to try with a 6 cylinder F6B.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Amen to managing a 900# machine 2up. It becomes a different motorcycle, and not in a good way.

I loved taking my wife with me on trips. But I always preferred to ride alone.

"Coming up to a stop sign now. Don't move!"

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Honda dealer has had a red F6B sitting on the showroom floor for well over a year now. Even with the heavy discount bringing the price down from $20,999 to $16,300 no one has bought it. Someone was taking it on a test ride the day I was having my accessories installed on my CTX, but when I stopped by a couple of weeks later it was still sitting there. I asked the salesman why no one has taken advantage of what I think is a great deal and he said most of the people who have considered it are intimidated by the size.

One other consideration. If you are planning to do two-up touring you will have more luggage capacity on the CTX with the Top Case and the side cases, than you would on an F6B without a Top Case, which you have indicated that you would not want to add to the F6B.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts