CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on adding auxiliary rear turn signals. Have already added auxiliary rear running light and brake lights using relays. Wanting to do same for rear signals. My question is, what wires can I tap into to act as switch for relay? I guess I am asking, what color are the rear turn signal wires? Next question, can this be done? No issue with brake and run light or front fog lights added earlier. Any help will be appreciate. New CTX1300A owner.

BillyT

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
Yes it can be done. I made a pigtail that fit between the 6 pin connector under the seat to tap off turn and brake signals without modifying the factory wires. These taps were for triggering relays as needed just as you mention.

This is the thread I posted on the project including electrical diagrams (in post 9) for what I added. I don't remember exactly what the wire colors were and forgot to include the pin numbers in that 6 pin connector. My electrical diagram only shows the 3 wires I tapped for the signals but I did include all 6 wires in the pigtail straight through and only tapped off of 3 of them for the needed signals.
Aux electrical farkle harness upgrade
I think I remember attempting to staying as close to the factory wire colors as possible to make it easier. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it can be done. I made a pigtail that fit between the 6 pin connector under the seat to tap off turn and brake signals without modifying the factory wires. These taps were for triggering relays as needed just as you mention.

This is the thread I posted on the project including electrical diagrams (in post 9) for what I added. I don't remember exactly what the wire colors were and forgot to include the pin numbers in that 6 pin connector. My electrical diagram only shows the 3 wires I tapped for the signals but I did include all 6 wires in the pigtail straight through and only tapped off of 3 of them for the needed signals.
Aux electrical farkle harness upgrade
I think I remember attempting to staying as close to the factory wire colors as possible to make it easier. Hope this helps.
Bob, where did you get the plugs to tal into the 6 pin connector? I think I will copy your setup.

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
Bob, where did you get the plugs to tal into the 6 pin connector? I think I will copy your setup.
My first connector pins I ordered when I was connecting the 12v socket and front option plug using the dummy shell already on the bike (only needed to add pins to make it a usable connector) were from the source CaliChaos shows.
But my subsequent connector purchases for when I needed to buy the entire connector, such as for the 6 pin to 6 pin pigtail, were from Eastern Beaver.
Here is the correct web page there for the same connectors used on the CTX1300: SMHX
You want the Sumitomo HX 040 connectors/pins. This is the exact match for what Honda used on this bike. I bought one each of the male and female 6 pin plugs on this page for that pigtail.
They do now have a $10 limit on orders here since the shipping is so high for less than that from Japan. But not a problem if you buy a male and female plug with pins. This is a company in Japan originally set up by an American who lives there.

If you want to connect something to the 2 pin 12v socket option plug under the seat (if not already in use) then you want the HX 090, the bigger pins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first connector pins I ordered when I was connecting the 12v socket and front option plug using the dummy shell already on the bike (only needed to add pins to make it a usable connector) were from the source CaliChaos shows.
But my subsequent connector purchases for when I needed to buy the entire connector, such as for the 6 pin to 6 pin pigtail, were from Eastern Beaver.
Here is the correct web page there for the same connectors used on the CTX1300: SMHX
You want the Sumitomo HX 040 connectors/pins. This is the exact match for what Honda used on this bike. I bought one each of the male and female 6 pin plugs on this page for that pigtail.
They do now have a $10 limit on orders here since the shipping is so high for less than that from Japan. But not a problem if you buy a male and female plug with pins. This is a company in Japan originally set up by an American who lives there.

If you want to connect something to the 2 pin 12v socket option plug under the seat (if not already in use) then you want the HX 090, the bigger pins.
Thank you so very much. I use to own a Goldwing and a guy named Chris Calente and a guy in Dallas use to be my source of info. Looks like with the CTX1300 Bob (you) is " the man." Appreciate you.

·
Registered
228 Posts

So re-reading the EasternBeaver site again I see why I didn't do anything with the brake / turn lights yet...

Since they don't have an exact match and you would have to grind down a connector to work, could you simply de-pin the original connector and replace with theirs that is part of a properly mating pair?

·
Super Moderator
5,551 Posts
So re-reading the EasternBeaver site again I see why I didn't do anything with the brake / turn lights yet...

Since they don't have an exact match and you would have to grind down a connector to work, could you simply de-pin the original connector and replace with theirs that is part of a properly mating pair?
No, don't replace the factory connectors. The connectors I linked to are the exact same connectors that Honda used, no grinding needed, other than that very first listed female connector. That note about modifying a connector applies ONLY to using the second listed male 2 pin connector with the first listed female connector... which is different than some of their other 2 pin connectors. But you CAN use the second and third listed 2 pin connectors together with no grinding. Those are what I bought for another project that needed 2 pin connectors. If you want to activate the factory provided 2 pin 12v connector or the 4 pin front option connector simply use the dummy shells that are already there: remove the seals in the pin positions you want to use and insert the HX pins of the right size into that shell (HX-090 for the 12v connector or HX-040 for the front option plug and many other factory plugs). I think the 12v socket connector is the only connector you would be messing with on this bike that is different than the others.

I used the listed 6 pin connectors and simply plugged them into the factory connectors with NO modification. They are the exact match for the Honda 6 pin connectors. The pigtail I made was inserted between the Honda connectors and provided the taps off to use with my relays. And if I wanted to return the OEM harness back to original configuration I could simply remove my pigtail and reconnect the factory plugs and it's as if nothing was done. If I didn't want to do the work of making the pigtail I would likely have used Posi-Taps on the appropriate wires. That would be an easier option but would put small punctures in the factory wire insulation so would need to leave them permanently or pull the pins and add heat shrink insulation over the spot where they were if I wanted to remove the Posi-Taps. I've done both on different bikes in the past.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I started a project for an accessory for trailer wiring and 4 "AUX" circuits. The prototype worked well but was too big to mount on the bike. I am in the process of miniaturizing it to make it more install friendly. I say "I" but I have a friend "Len" from my old Magna riding days who is making it... Rev 2.0 will be around before too long. If i can get exact part numbers for the plugs / receptacles and pins I can make plug and play pig-tail harnesses for the group AT COST sorta like Charlie does with the saddle bag guards...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts