CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Thanks GARRY_UK.
However, I've been OFF on Avon tires since my own experience and that of others over on the ST-Owners.com forum with that brand. Seems the rear tire for way too many riders had a tendency of belts splitting without warning and with plenty of tread remaining. Mine did that as well as at least a half dozen who reported it on that other forum. This was almost all with the Avon Storm II tires but I think also with another newer model. When the belts on mine split, and blew open the tire, I did have just over 16000 miles on them. But there was enough tread for another 5000-6000 miles yet and no visible anomalies could be seen before it happened. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks GARRY_UK.
However, I've been OFF on Avon tires since my own experience and that of others over on the ST-Owners.com forum with that brand. Seems the rear tire for way too many riders had a tendency of belts splitting without warning and with plenty of tread remaining. Mine did that as well as at least a half dozen who reported it on that other forum. This was almost all with the Avon Storm II tires but I think also with another newer model. When the belts on mine split, and blew open the tire, I did have just over 16000 miles on them. But there was enough tread for another 5000-6000 miles yet and no visible anomalies could be seen before it happened. :(
wow! how do you get over 16000 miles on a st11 or 13 i was averaging 6-8000 rear and 9-12000 front, mind you i do ride a bit hard at times...my ctx has now done 5000 miles rear has about another 1200-2000 left..ride safe cheers garry

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I know a lot of riders who get far less miles than I do, and on the same tires I have. Don't know the big difference for it. I am a very conservative rider compared to a lot of riders. I also changed the tire pressure from what the bike manuals recommend since the bike manufacturers are more interested in making the ride more comfortable than having the tires last a long time. I research the tire maker web site for their fitment guides and find the their recommended max pressure for a given tire. I have found, starting with my GW, that the tires will last much longer at the higher pressures with almost none of the weird wear patterns that can happen with under inflated tires... like cupping. Also, I have word from many who use a c/t on the rear only and they have told me of poor tire wear on the front as a result, a change they noticed after adding the c/t (both GW riders and ST1100/ST1300 riders). When I first bought my GW I followed the manual recommendations of 33f/36r psi and those tires didn't last even 10,000 miles. After some research and also advise from other GW owners I bumped the pressure up near the max and put 40f/41r and that set of tires went over 21,000 miles (Dunlop tires) with no cupping or any wear issues. I've done this since on all my bike tires. Read the fitment guides from the tire makers and go with that pressure, maybe a very little under for the front... maybe. The ride was not significantly worse for it, though I could tell it wasn't as soft. But the tires actually seemed to grip better, especially in rain. Not so much floating from too much rubber down (I am guessing). Currently I am keeping my CTX1300 tires at 39f/42r psi. Another issue I am aware of is the road surfaces that can have a major effect on tire wear. Concrete wears a tire less than asphalt, which can really tear up a tire. We have a lot of concrete roads around my area. Don't know what else may be a factor. Just know I've been able to see longer tire wear than most riders of any bike I've owned since the GW. Even my Burgman would get over 12,000 miles when others of that scooter were only going 6,000-7,000 miles riding on the same tires. I can already tell the stock tires are not a good as what I had on my ST so we'll see how many miles I go with these. I am hoping there will be more choices when the time comes. Maybe switch my Dunlops for Bridgestones next time. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
93 Posts
Im at 4700 miles on my bike and the rear tire is about history. I am thinking about going to a C/T as I run C/Ts on my GL1800 for the last 200k miles and like them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts