CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't recall ever having this discussion on a forum, hope nobody minds.

When riding in any kind of heat (80* F and above for more than an hour or so) I find that I have little tolerance for feeling any kind of seams under my butt or near the top-back of my thighs. So wearing short briefs under my pants is unacceptable. On a long enough ride, even the moisture-wicking spandex/poly boxer briefs I usually use for riding can get to me in the areas where the seams are.

Anybody else have this issue? It really got to me during my long ride from southern IL to Louisville, KY on Sunday, where the temp was hovering around 90-91 the whole day. Once I got a little wet in the seat from sweat it got uncomfortable anywhere the seams were.

I can't really think of a fix for this. I haven't found underwear anywhere that are completely seamless.

Thoughts?

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I really don't fault the seat for this. Even with the 800 or so miles of riding I did this past weekend I still think that stock seat is wonderful. It's what's between me and the seat that causes issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
By the way, I really don't fault the seat for this. Even with the 800 or so miles of riding I did this past weekend I still think that stock seat is wonderful. It's what's between me and the seat that causes issues.
try a beaded seat to get some airflow between you and the seat. I also use one when it rains so I am not sitting in a puddle.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try a beaded seat to get some airflow between you and the seat. I also use one when it rains so I am not sitting in a puddle.
I tried one of those on my old Triumph when I lived in Arizona and found it to be uncomfortable, even though it did help with airflow. I returned it. But maybe the discomfort was because the stock Triumph Bonneville seat was flat as a board and pretty unforgiving itself.

Good idea to reconsider.

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also use one when it rains so I am not sitting in a puddle.
I had that issue yesterday as well. In a heavy enough rain, water pooled under me and eventually found its way in through the seams in my Frogg Toggs rain suit, which surprised me.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Bicycle shorts sound like a good idea. Also I have an air hawk R seat cushion that has a lot of valleys in between where it actually contacts your body. Good airflow and maybe less contact point would be better? I don't use it on a regular basis only on extended rides if I start to hurt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think we have a common problem with our unmentionables. Pulls the hair on the back of my legs and higher when it is hot out. Every time I pick my feet up from being off the bike I need to adjust which drives SWAMBO crazy. She says shave. Yeah right!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
C9 compression shorts from Target for the low cost, or under armour or motoskiveez for the more $$ type..

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Also try sprinkling talcum/baby powder in the (ahem) sweat prone areas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For long trips, I use bicycle shorts. Very comfortable and have the extra padding in the, err, undercarriage area.

I've also used some undies that my wife bought me when she was in Singapore. The brand name is "Delay no More". The brand name is a play on words, apparently in cantonese, it has a very different meaning-

G.O.D. douglas young: delay no more

These would have to be the most comfortable boxer shorts I've ever worn whilst riding. Very light weight, minimal seams but they keep everything in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts