CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has become an annual event since about the early 90s and usually is our "long ride" season finale. The weekend after Labor Day is reserved for a trip to the tip of Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula. The participants generally number no more than 4 on 4 bikes. This year it was 3 on 3.

With the exception of a wet Saturday morning, the weather was great for riding, 70* F and partly sunny. The Keweenaw reaches up into Lake Superior and the scenery is fantastic. Roads aren't bad either. In fact, Hwy 26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor and Hwy 41 southwest to Phoenix (the one in MI) are a couple of my favorites in the northern midwest. Floridians might argue that US 41 starts in the Everglades, but the Yoopers know better and make that claim precisely where the pavement ends (or begins) just east of Copper Harbor.

Though the weather improved in the second half of Saturday the winds were strong all day long and straight out of Canada. I'm not sure what wind speeds were but the Big Lake was in a foul mood, which only makes her more beautiful. From shore anyway.

The Keweenaw is a place chock full of history, natural beauty, some wonderful roads (not all of them, we have frost up this way), good regional foods and more than their share of brew pubs and breweries. I'll return for as long as I can ride. After all, it's only 300 miles away.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Totally awesome! Beautiful country, and I will bet it is spectacular this time of year. Looks like you had a great trip.

Living in Texas for the last 12 years, it's almost strange to hear that others are already getting frost. We are still in the 90s here, with almost 90% humidity; muggy and hot, and it will stay pretty much the same all the way through Thanksgiving (maybe a tad cooler, where daytime temps are in the upper 70s to lower 80s at that point). It will get cold here in College Station, but it's usually February... for about 3 weeks... where it actually gets down in the 40s. I think that we have only had 3 or 4 days of freezing temperatures over the last 5 years.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Thanks for the report and pictures. Riding is Living!!! In East Tennessee we are just starting to experience a shift in leaf color. Full Fall explosion will occur mid-October (around the Southern CTX gathering in Paynesville, NC the 15/16th). Our temps are in the 60 at night and upper 80s during the day now.

The first picture you posted has a spectacular looking machine on the left!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ended riding with BMW gang around Big Snow resort, Indianhead Mountain in west UP, MI, that weekend. The ride to Copper Harbor, originally scheduled for last Saturday, was pushed to Sunday due to rain... looks like I missed another CTX there as Sunday was my trip down to Chicago :(. The BMW team was celebrating 40 years of GS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts