CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
kniterider,

I am very interested in this back rest. I am a little nervous that you do not have a picture of it on the bike... does it fit? When I watched the install videos from Utopia, I wondered if the mounting hardware that is under the seat would fit on the CTX1300. When you have time, post some pictures of it on the bike, and give us a review. I am especially interested in how it affects your passenger's room.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kniterider,

I am very interested in this back rest. I am a little nervous that you do not have a picture of it on the bike... does it fit? When I watched the install videos from Utopia, I wondered if the mounting hardware that is under the seat would fit on the CTX1300. When you have time, post some pictures of it on the bike, and give us a review. I am especially interested in how it affects your passenger's room.
Yes sir I will , This pic was taken by BOB ,owner of utopis just before he boxed it up to send to mefriday evening. I hope to have it back by wed evening I have pics of the underside mounting too if that would help you

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok, now I understand. The underside pictures helped. Thanks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my seat back from Utopia on Wed. BUT bike still at shop having the electronic cruise control installed along with hyper rear lights and additional LED stiping along edge of the tail trunk,, Picking up bike tomorrow (sunday) and will install the the utopia equipped seat then

Hope to have pictures by sunday night folks

·
Registered
283 Posts
I really want to hear the assessment of this farkle. I just visited the web site and watched the install video. Looks relatively easy. Would also like to know how much adjustment is possible up/down, forward/back.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will have the seat re installed by this evening if bike is ready to pick up from having the cruise control installed as planned. The back rest is already installed on the CTX seat now It is identical to the utopia backrest for the WING. with just as much up and down adjustment available,, by changing the which holes you use,, ,, forward and backward is very quick and can be adjusted on the road by reaching behind you and twisting the adjustment nut,, which comes in handy on a long trip when you need to change support position

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got bike back late last night! LOVE the electronic cruise control YESS!
Installed my seat with the utopia backrest and test rode it last night for about an hour,, OMG what a relief on arms and wrists for holding steady pace on highway

Will get pics in day light today

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the utopia backrest yesterday, quite easy, and what a difference in how the bike feels. Very impressed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why?

For those that added this, I'm wondering why you found it necessary? Is it about helping keep your back in the most ergonomically correct position so you're not tempted to slouch? Something else?

I've actually found on my longest nonstop ride (only around 100 miles so far) that my posture got better the longer I rode. It's actually in stop-and-go traffic where I'm putting my feet down and adjusting a lot that I can sometimes wind up in an uncomfortable position.

Just wondering what the backrest adds to the occasion. Never had one. Seems like quite a commitment in terms of altering the machine.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
As we get older some of us develop lower back problems. Sometimes caused by weakness there, or other issues. I had a Utopia backrest on my GW and really liked it. Needed it for the longer rides to add some lumbar support. I didn't have any special backrest on my Burgman or ST and really didn't HAVE to have it on those bikes so maybe it was an issue with me (posture, riding position, etc) or the seat on the Wing. I have found on my CTX1300 I don't (yet) need any special backrest. The seat is better than even my old GW. But there may be a time down road (double-meaning intended) when I will want one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just wondering what the backrest adds to the occasion. Never had one. Seems like quite a commitment in terms of altering the machine.

Jeff
The only altering is an incision in the seat cover (which if you had to replace is inexpensive and easy to reapply).

It's like using a really comfortable stool for a deskchair...after a while, a backrest/support sure would be nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to see this post. Was just looking at backrest and wondering what would fit. Getting older does mean needing more comfort. Longest ride yet, 414 miles but had no back issues, and I have back problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Who is the manufacturer of the cruise control.I broke several bones in my right hand and it yells at me on a long ride.Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Look for threads or posts from @kniterider who installed one on his CTX. Or go to THIS link for his initial writeup on it, there are other threads/posts from him as well after the install. Also, if you don't already have one I highly recommend a CrampBuster for when the CC is not being used. Provides vast increase in control and relief of the hand and wrist since you don't grip the throttle so much and can just use your whole forearm for most of the control. I had both on my GW. I won't pay the cost to add a CC (that's just my preference) but will not go without the CrampBuster on a bike. Read through THIS on the CrampBuster.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The cost of the rostra electronic cruise control on amazon was only about 325 dollars total. now I paid the honda tech guy to install is because I have nod been down into this machine like all my other rides yet. Glad I did since in hondas infinite wisdom they actually found a way to make it harder to get to the airfilter than the 2012 wing.
Ref the utopia back rest for the ctx,, absolutely incredible improvement on longer rides,, I am talking my usual ride about 500 to 750 miles.. It is nice to lean back every so often and have the support on lower back,, plus it only takes about 30 seconds to remove it if you want to ride without it. AND when you do remove the single bolt NOTHIN shows that says you had a backrest installed

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone wants to test ride a CTX with the electronic cruise control and utopia rest installed I am always up for a ride to eat as long as it is at least a xcouple hundred miles

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My next intall will be the tour tank aux tank system so Ican get back to my accepted distances I had on my last wing,, I hate HAVINT to stop every 200 miles.. Got spoiled with the aux tank on wing and going 350 to 400 miles between stops

1 - 20 of 28 Posts