CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dealer had it installed on a floor model, so we swapped it for my seat. got the rest for $179.99 plus 1 hr. labor. Utopia site showing them for $225 :eek:

Reactions: bob

· Registered
229 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
dealer had it installed on a floor model, so we swapped it for my seat. got the rest for $179.99 plus 1 hr. labor. Utopia site showing them for $225 :eek:
They made it up in that (1 HOUR LABOR) only takes about 5 minutes to swap seats. and the utopia is mounted internally. So all they did was lift one seat off and swap literally. I have the first one from utopia. It is a great back rest especially if you ever have a passenger. The single mount bar in the center does not interfere with passengers legs, and it fall forward during passenger mounting to make it easier to get on and off

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually, I swapped the seats, but they wanted to be reimbursed for the time it took them to install the Utopia into the seat I took. Based on the instructions on their website, looks a bit longer than 5 minutes.

http://www.utpr.com/installation.html

maybe I missed something?

· Registered
404 Posts
actually, I swapped the seats, but they wanted to be reimbursed for the time it took them to install the Utopia into the seat I took. Based on the instructions on their website, looks a bit longer than 5 minutes.

Utopia Products - Motorcycle Driver Backrest - Motorcycle Seat

maybe I missed something?
Your original post made it sound like they charged you an hour for the swapping.. With a power stapler to reattach the seat cover to the seat, about 20 minutes if you know what you are doing. My second one on the 2012 wing about 15 minutes longest part was being careful slicing thru the foam into the seat cover ..

NOW my first utopia took meover an hour but most of that time was sitting their on the living room floor getting up the nerve to slice the seat cover

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Your original post made it sound like they charged you an hour for the swapping.. With a power stapler to reattach the seat cover to the seat, about 20 minutes if you know what you are doing. My second one on the 2012 wing about 15 minutes longest part was being careful slicing thru the foam into the seat cover ..
Also keep in mind that most dealers charge one hour minimum labor for anything they do, meaning even if they only spend five minutes actually working on something, they're going to charge you an hour for it. Sounds like that's the case here - regarding the time they spent installing the backrest.

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

NOW my first utopia took meover an hour but most of that time was sitting their on the living room floor getting up the nerve to slice the seat cover
I hear ya. I felt the one hour labor charge was worth it for me, I didn't have a power stapler, and really didn't want to screw up my seat experimenting.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts

NOW my first utopia took me over an hour but most of that time was sitting their on the living room floor getting up the nerve to slice the seat cover
Haha. Takes me back.:eek: Tho in my case, I was also jerking around with mounting the bracket inside a Victory seat. Double nervous about drilling holes below into a bracket I couldn't see. Good thing I traded in the Vic for this one.

· Registered
229 Posts
Looks like the Utopia backrest is no go for me,it seems they only make them to order so the shipping costs to the UK would be prohibitive.
Don't think any dealer here would want to keep one in stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.