CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I searched but did not find and how-to's related to this question.

Most forums have folks that have video's or how-to's with images for the valve job. Now I know that the majority on here may not have hit the 16K interval for this job but curious to see who does and posts the how-to.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In fairness, the service manual has a rather detailed explanation, with pictures, of the procedure.

The CTX1300, unfortunately, has bucket-over-shim lifters which means a lot more stuff has to go out until you get to the shims, but it's doable. On the plus side, the CTX1300 cylinder heads are out in the wind so you don't have to tear half of the bike down to get to them as on a classic cruiser.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yep, I have a copy of the SM, but enjoy seeing vids on this type of work.

On that note, I wonder if the throttle bodies need to be sync'd at any point?

·
Registered
446 Posts
The throttle bodies are synced at the factory and the service manual specifically warns you against separating them (since the adjustment would be lost then).

I would tend to go with their recommendation since:
1) all of the parts you'd like to remove from, look at or clean on the throttle body assembly are easily accessible from the outside
2) there are no vacuum nipples so a re-sync is not possible using legacy tools like for carbureted bikes
3) you have no idea what's on the ECUs mind (thank you Honda for being an a'hole and not releasing the specs of the ECU) so you wouldn't know what to adjust for (or sync to)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks and a bummer. Did this with my FJR1300 at 600 mile service and it made a difference in inline 4 vibration (no there is absolutely no vibration with my CTX V4).

·
Registered
446 Posts
Maybe the ones on the FJR are meant to be adjusted, I was just saying the ones on the CTX1300 are not.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is quite a bit of good ST1300 information at ST-Riders - The liST - Index in the ST1300 Archive of Wisdom.

Some of the engine info on the site is relevant to the CTX1300. I think you can read the articles in the AoW without having to sign up as a member.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts