CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Blue CTX 1300 out for the first time today...a bit cool (50 F) but lots of fun!

I had not had the opportunity to test-drive it so I was rather surprised when I discovered the bumpiness that comes through the handlebars (i.e In Alberta we have rumble strips for approaching stop signs at important rural intersections - when driving over these I was horrified how much vibration came through the bars & grips)
This was very disappointing because I have some arthritus in my hands.

Do others have a similar experience? Does anyone have any ideas? or solutions?
Colin

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have 60 year old hands too. The bars transmit way more road bumps than my last 3 bikes. But I installed the foamy slip on hand grips CHEAP. and they helped a lot

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
As I and a few others have noted in another thread or two, the front suspension does soften up after about 1,000 miles or less. Also as noted above, you can add foamy grips or replace the stock grips altogether to help soften road vibrations in your hands. The Kuryakyn ISO grips are significantly bigger around than stock, and most of that increase is vibration-absorbing rubber.

And if those solutions aren't good enough, a couple of guys have replace the fork oil with a lighter weight oil, which they say also improves things.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
You must have some really significant rumble strips up there. We have rumble strips here too and even on freshly cut ones I barely feel them any more. I think each bike is a bit different to start with since some note significant vibration and others don't so much. I test rode my CTX on some of the same bumpy roads I took my ST1100 on to go to the test ride and felt there was hardly a difference between the two. A little difference but nothing to be bothered with mentioning. After 7000 miles now I'd say my CTX is definitely no different or maybe a bit better than my ST1100, definitely more comfortable. Give it some time/miles and then determine if there needs to be something done.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wonder if early bikes had softer springs and we are the ones with the problems
I don't think the forks are stiff I think they bottom out and that's why so much of the bump moves to the hands
I have never had a bike do that
what I feel in the suspension on a bad road is not tolerable by anyone
but some of you guys are telling us that your forks are great
either im fatter then all of you or there is something
my bike is awesome on good roads
mine was made 01/14

well I should get my forks back from traxxion in I hope a week and I will let all know what the problem is
I hope

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for your comments but I think I best identify with gtmn's comments...feel like the shocks in the forks are really weak and bottom out. Funny thing is the rear suspension is excellent.

I have had about 9 bikes over 38 years and never had one that took shock in the bars like this one? It almost makes me feel like there maybe something wrong with it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have had about 9 bikes over 38 years and never had one that took shock in the bars like this one? It almost makes me feel like there maybe something wrong with it?
I just took delivery today and deliberately rode over the roughest road segments I could find on the way home. I wanted to see what all the consternation was about with regard to "rough front forks".

All I can say is right out of the box with ZERO miles on it (never had a vehicle with zero miles on the odometer:)) it took the rough spots 100% better than did my VT1300CS with 20,000 miles on it.

I suppose it makes a difference what kind of ride you're used to, but part of the "Spring Shock" syndrome is that those of us living in northern climes tend to lose motorcycle muscle tone over the winter layup and first rides of the season seem a little more physically challenging than the last rides of the season.

Some of the solutions mentioned may be your answer in conjunction with the return of summer motorcycle physique.

All I can say is that my 70 year old body really liked the ride today:)

Best wishes in finding your solution

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would love to see production dates on bikes that are good vs bikes that are bad
on the road to work the ctx is at least 100 times worse on the bumps then my Yamaha
no way its normal to be that bad
again when I sit on mine there is at least 2 inches of sag on the front
with only 4 inches available I can only assume its bottoming out
its not that its firm but its jarring
good news and bad news for me
I have pulled the forks and shipped them to traxxion dynamics for a fix
bad news is I have to spend money that I should not have to spend
a 16000 dollar bike should come equipped with a fork that can take a bump
I will let everyone know when I get the forks back

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I would love to see production dates on bikes that are good vs bikes that are bad
on the road to work the ctx is at least 100 times worse on the bumps then my Yamaha
no way its normal to be that bad
again when I sit on mine there is at least 2 inches of sag on the front
with only 4 inches available I can only assume its bottoming out
its not that its firm but its jarring
good news and bad news for me
I have pulled the forks and shipped them to traxxion dynamics for a fix
bad news is I have to spend money that I should not have to spend
a 16000 dollar bike should come equipped with a fork that can take a bump
I will let everyone know when I get the forks back
I really think this (and many other details) can vary from one bike to the next and isn't necessarily related to a batch or production date. Could be something as stupid as somebody at the factory not paying attention at the end of his shift and over-filling the fork oil.

A few other owners have made this observation, but obviously it's not all bikes, or a lot more people would be complaining loudly. I will say that mine is slightly stiffer than other bikes I've owned, but not painfully so, and certainly not dangerously so as one other member has stated. The vast majority of members here have owned other bikes before this one (some being many other bikes), yet complaints about extreme stiffness similar to yours are very, very few.

I agree, you absolutely should not have to spend money to make a bike in this class rideable for yourself. But I'm pretty sure you're very much the exception and not the rule. Anyway, good luck with the work you're having done on them, and I hope it fixes everything for you. :wink:

·
Registered
279 Posts
or am I a guy that knows the difference between good and bad suspension.
unwilling to keep what Honda put in it, and more importantly
willing to pay for what I would like in a suspension
Goldwing's come with the same spring rate as my 400lb fz-07
so its not like Honda isn't familiar with making to soft suspension.
Goldwing guys in the know spend 2500 to fix the problem, but the masses leave it alone due to the fact that they believe its supposed to be like that
don't get me wrong I love the bike but it could be so much better
and I only have 162 miles on her
please don't anyone take this personal its just an opinion

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
or am I a guy that knows the difference between good and bad suspension.
unwilling to keep what Honda put in it, and more importantly
willing to pay for what I would like in a suspension
Goldwing's come with the same spring rate as my 400lb fz-07
so its not like Honda isn't familiar with making to soft suspension.
Goldwing guys in the know spend 2500 to fix the problem, but the masses leave it alone due to the fact that they believe its supposed to be like that
don't get me wrong I love the bike but it could be so much better
and I only have 162 miles on her
please don't anyone take this personal its just an opinion
Well, that would suggest that you're the only one (here) who knows a good suspension from a bad one. Considering the bevy of very experienced riders on this forum and the vast variety of rides they have owned over the course of many, many years, I would tend to think it's less of a chance of this being the case and more of a chance that you got a bad apple.

But I will agree, some people are more 'forgiving' than others when it comes to certain details, and some are extremely particular. All tastes and preferences are different, and no single bike is going to satisfy everyone 100%.

That being said, let me also point out a bit of a contradiction in your statements -- you earlier posted that you shouldn't have to spend more money to fix the front suspension of a $16K bike; yet you just now noted that there are Goldwing guys who have spent $2500 to fix the same problem on a bike that's significantly more expensive than this one. So, again I would suggest that this all speaks very much to individual preferences, specifically what some riders are perfectly happy with out of the box and other riders feel compelled to improve. (And that you got one with a particularly bad suspension .... it happens.)

Me, I've got a thing about exhausts. Most people (HD riders excluded) leave them alone, but I think I can count on one hand the number of vehicles I've owned that I haven't mucked with the exhaust in some way, shape or form. Although I haven't messed with this one ... yet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
so
don't take it personal was a wasted line
not "the guy" but a guy
been in the automotive service world for 30 years
and riding for like 38 years
so yup I know something about suspension of all kinds and understand whats inside
I didn't start this thread someone who has a problem or an idea that things could be better started it
and there are many more on this forum
this is not a problem with this bike but many bikes of all kinds of brands and styles
guys have complained that the suspension is harsh, vibrates the bars, and many more complaints
the only bikes that get really good suspension are super bikes. and those guys even complain and change out parts
ill give an example
I hear every day in mn that people don't need snow tires because they know how to drive when it snows
but the difference in go and stop traction is so great that once you give in and start to use snow tires you will never go back
same goes for tires on cars and bikes
same thing goes for suspension cars and bikes
just like in cars you wont understand how bad your suspension is because you are used to driving it but when you fix it its dramatic how the entire car works better
just because you can ride it the way it came doesn't mean that you have to
im not trying to offend but inform that there is a way to fix these bikes
im not an idiot there is a reason I lifted a 700lb bike on a jack and pulled the forks and sent them half way across the country, and it wasn't to spend 1500 dollars. it was to get answers for the guys with suspension problems on this forum but its gonna cost me 1500 to get the answers for all of you even the guys without a problem
I only hope that I can get the forks on and it makes a big enough difference to give you an idea of what can be done
no contradiction in the last post Goldwing's should not have to be fixed either that's my whole point
k im done this could go on forever

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
gtmn,

Thanks for trying to figure this suspension out. I don't know how to improve it. That's why I'm a member of this board. I want to learn. I doubt that Honda will offer any help, so we got to figure it out. If you don't mind sharing what you learn, then guys like me can try to do the same. This is my only bike. Maybe the last one. I'm willing to invest in reasonable modifications to improve the bike.
So again thanks for doing the research.

·
Registered
279 Posts
thanks for that
I will share as soon as I can
hopefully in the next couple of days

·
Registered
283 Posts
GTMN,
Thanks for being the experiment on this. IMHO a big part of owning any motorcycle is the process of farkling, changing, modding (sp?), improving. adjusting. If I had the perfect motorcycle I'd probably sell it just because that personalization process would be lacking. This may be why Harley folks like their bikes so much...lots of stuff to tack on after the initial purchase.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep... Me I am the poster child for trying to make each new bike work better ,,fix the quirks from the factory etc. Like stupid idea of NOT including a electronic cruise on a bike that is advertised as long distance capable and a touring machine. that tiny little stock windshield ,, great as long as you are a fairweather firnd and never plan on listening to your speakers above 25 mph, Mirrors,, usually I can figure out how they justified on a bike,, like beemers designed for the taller population in Europe with longer legs and arms down to their ankles.
So I get a kick out of the quest to "fix" each bike I own.. Won't go back to a wing until they put a 6th gear for a true over drive and get the mileage up to at least high 40s low 50s. I had to put a 5 gallon aux tank on my 2012 just to get 300 + between mandatory stops.
I will play with my CTx until Fall when I should have it paid off and then sell or trade it in on a new Triumph Trophy.. It seems to be the best equipped stock bike for my preferred rides.. Big tank, 6 speeds 50+ mpg. factory cruise control, electric adj. windshield..two seat options High and low.. But know I will be doing something with those funky handlebars and mirrors

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am on the same thoughts as you.

As I purchased this bike, I thought it would be more than it is. I knew going into it, that I would give up my electric windshield, electric cruise control, and a six speed..but I thought the bike looked cool, so I bought it.

Now...I am finding my elbows hurt due to the stiff suspension and springboard bars, and I have never had this occur in 34 other motorcycles. I find that 6th gear would be nice, since if I am driving 80 mph which is the speed limit in South Dakota, the bike winds up a little bit more than I like...it is SMOOTH at that speed however. The range is a little short also, I am averaging 43 mpg, which makes me have to make a stop before hitting 200 miles, etc.

I had a Goldwing myself, and where is the 6th gear and some of the electronics that the CTX has? I like the bluetooth system/radio, and the white LED lighting is great also. But the rest of the bike is not finding favor with me, and I am going to continue to modify it or add on those things I feel are essential for the open road.

But that brings me to my point. I was at the motorcycle dealer today, and they had a blue Triumph Trophy 2015 set up and I took a look at it quickly. The suspension felt plush, the panel was high tech with tire pressure monitoring, bluetooth, and I think a gear indicator too! I have heard the bike gets 50+ mpg easily, and has a six speed! I may try to work a deal, obviously the Honda costs less money and after 1280 miles on the clock, it's bend over and take it in the shorts for a trade in value :)

I may wait a few weeks to see how the Rox Antivibration risers work...because I have never had any issues with a bike that brought on a problem for me like this. Typically I can ride a few times in the spring, realize some muscles haven't been exercised much, and my body adapts to the bike. However, this time it seems like I can't shake it, and the pain is enough to drive me to start drinking beer again this summer :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts