CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
  • I have read most if not all magazine reviews of the CTX and CTX compared to the Vstar 1300
  • I am interested in hearing from members of have ACTUALLY ridden both bikes

My wife currently rides an '07 Vstar 1300 which in the first 4 years she put on over 56K smiles touring with me throughout the Western US and Canada. For family reasons we have only put on about 4K miles each year since. Things have changed and we should be able to get back to touring more.

We're at a crossroads - spend $3.5k for service and replace worn out brake rotors, drive belt, etc, on because of mileage would only return about the same amount at best. It is setup for her.....

The CTX 1300's seat height fits her fine where other bikes don't work with her 5'4" 30" inseam. Ride is very important - 500 to 700 miles a day for several days on interstate and state highways to get to sightseeing area are key and arriving there ready to sight see.

She moved up from the Vstar 1100 to the Vstar 1300 which was a significant improvement in balance and touring comfort.

How does the CTX1300 ride compare for "getting there" riding?

I have read a "bunch" of the threads regarding the CTX1300 suspension and some of the discussion concern me. When we bought the Vstar, it was a year old left over and found no big suspension discussion like I found with here. I can see changing the fork oil and perhaps springs, but didn't see any recommendations for the rear.

So I'm hoping I can get some feedback from someone who actually ridden both.

Thanks for reading and your feedback,
Roy

·
Registered
157 Posts
I test rode a Yamaha XVS 1300 a couple of years ago and really liked it. I thought it was plenty powerful enough and a good handler for its style. I would say that the CTX is very much heavier and very much comfier for the long haul. The standard seat on the Honda is for me way better than the Yam. Weather protection (bigger screen) is also superior on the Honda. Having said that, I seriously considered getting the Yam at one point because it is tremendously cheap on the second hand market here in the U.K. I could have had 2 low mileage ones for the price of my CTX. For me, I made the right decision with going for the Honda cos it fits me like a glove. The Yam is very nice though.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
riding a v-twin compared to the v-4 in the CTX is a totally different ride! the smoothness and easy power on the CTX is Sooooo different! I compare it to a chug chug to EZ rom rom .

·
Registered
384 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges here. It isn't just seat height you have to be concerned with you also have to consider the width of the bodywork. If the Mrs did 50K miles on the vstar than don't throw her on the ctx without a test ride.

The width combined with lifting this bike off the sidestand (it has a good lean angle) will probably be a deal breaker for her. Just my $.02:smiley-party0005:

·
Registered
84 Posts
You are comparing apples to oranges here. It isn't just seat height you have to be concerned with you also have to consider the width of the bodywork. If the Mrs did 50K miles on the vstar than don't throw her on the ctx without a test ride.

The width combined with lifting this bike off the sidestand (it has a good lean angle) will probably be a deal breaker for her. Just my $.02:smiley-party0005:
Totally agree about taking a test drive. I'd say it is a must for the CTX as it is truly not like any other bike. IMO the CTX suspension is Less than desirable especially for it's weight. I just got my Ctx and if I was able to take a test drive prior to purchase, I probably be on a different bike today. One other thing is the mirrors are terrible as they sit too low. Also the saddle bags on the vstar puts the CTX bags to shame (top opening compared to side drop down) She may like the bike as to each their own ... but get a test drive!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts