CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very seriously considering trading my 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T for this bike.

The Boulevard doesn't have a lot of power (805cc), and vibrates like crazy at higher highway speeds. But the main reason is that it's too heavy for me to maneuver when it comes to parking and slow turns.

I'm 5'5', a 165 pounds. Been riding for only a year.

So would the CTX 1300 be a good step-up bike for me?

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
The CTX carries its weight down low so you don't feel the weight and it's easy to handle. Definitely will be an upgrade power wise. Have you sat on one yet? I'd check the height for sure. If it fits well this is a great bike for anyone that wants a powerful, comfortable, really neat, good looking bike; it does everything well.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum, @Tess_T!

Here are a few basic differences:
CTX1300 seat height is about 1" higher than the C50.
CTX1300 weighs about 82 lbs more than the C50.
Power, well, there'll be no comparison. Lots more of it in the CTX, and smooth as silk.

As Barrett says, the CTX does carry its weight down lower, so it should be easier to maneuver at slow speeds. +1 on all his other points as well. But it is still heavier, so I'd have a hard time saying with any degree of certainty that it will be any easier for you at slow speeds.

However, if you've only been riding a year, I'd recommend sticking with what you have for just a little while longer, maybe spending some time in an empty parking lot practicing low-speed figure 8's and tight turns. While all bikes will feel different, I think it would be easier for you to get comfortable with low-speed maneuvers on a lighter and less powerful bike. But ... that's just a suggestion. Only you know how comfortable you are in those situations. No matter what bike you're riding, there's no substitute for practice time to get really comfortable with your ride.

Last thing I'd almost insist on is finding a dealer who has a CTX1300 on the floor and go sit on it, and see for yourself your reach to the ground and how easy (or not) it is to lift off the side stand. At 5'5", you're probably not going to be able to flat-foot it, but you can at least check that you can comfortably reach the ground and push the bike around. And then see if they'll let you take it for a test ride. That's the only way to tell for sure.

Not trying to be negative or talk you out of looking into this bike -- I think it's an awesome bike all around, one of the easiest to ride that I've ever owned, comfortable, smooth, and a great looker to boot. In fact, I'd strongly encourage you to look into it -- you'll get a lot more from a hands-on experience than anyone could tell you in a forum. :wink:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
With just a year experience the CTX1300 could be a step too far, have a look at the CTX700 which I found to be an easy bike with no vibrations.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Tess,

You say you drive for one year now. How many miles have you driven?
I completely agree with Sleepngbear
It's a great bike. lots of power and very nice to ride.
My wife can also handle it very easy. (ok; she has a ST1300, also a big bike)
My advice: go and try it, make a testride and when you feel comfortable on it: buy it!
and when not: stay with your bike, make more miles and get expiriance. and then buy a ctx1300 next year.

have a nice day tomorow.
(sorry for my bad english)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very seriously considering trading my 2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T for this bike.

The Boulevard doesn't have a lot of power (805cc), and vibrates like crazy at higher highway speeds. But the main reason is that it's too heavy for me to maneuver when it comes to parking and slow turns.

I'm 5'5', a 165 pounds. Been riding for only a year.

So would the CTX 1300 be a good step-up bike for me?
I'm 5'6" and I owned a boulevard M50 similar to your bike. The boulevard is definitely lighter when you want to get the bike out from steep parking spots. It was awkward for me for the first two weeks but I'm used to it now. Another thing is that the boulevard is considerably shorter than the CTX1300 and the seat is not as wide, I would suggest that you try and set on the CTX or even take it for a test ride. I can't flat foot my CTX and if you are 5'5" I doubt that you can but you'll get used to it quickly as the CTX is not a beast to handle for its weight and actually a lot easier to handle than the boulevard at any speed really. Lastly for the vibration, its a world of difference the CTX's engine is very smooth yet characterful.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Wife has the red CTX1300 and she is a bit shorter than 5'5" and she loves riding this bike. She has also been riding for nearly 20 years so has the experience to handle it.

The seat has been reworked to make it a bit narrower and lower but even so, she can just reach the ground, but as has been said previously, wth the lower centre of gravity it makes it a lot easier to handle.
When pulling up for a rest or petrol or to park the bike, we always do a survey of the road or driveway surface to make sure that it is stable and she doesn't get caught in an awkward spot.

cheers

steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You all are great! Thank you so much for the advice and feedback. :smiley-happy0034:

Why do some of you think it might be too much bike for someone with only a year of riding behind her? Is it the power? Just curious.

I would consider the 700 but I'm afraid that shortly I would be back in the same situation as my current bike. I'd want to upgrade to a bike with more power and better handling after I have more seat time.

The test ride is on hold until tomorrow. But I'm already getting the feeling I'll keep the Boulevard awhile longer to get more experience on it. Like many of you advise.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'll add one thing I didn't see anyone else mention above: width. The CTX has a low seat height but a relatively wide body that spreads the legs apart more than you may be used to. My wife is 5'3" and loved the height but refused to try and pilot the CTX because it felt too wide and uncomfortable for her.

If you've got one available, sit on it, balance it a while. Only you'll know if you're comfortable enough to take it on a test ride, and only with a test ride will you know if you're ready to own it.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
You all are great! Thank you so much for the advice and feedback. :smiley-happy0034:

Why do some of you think it might be too much bike for someone with only a year of riding behind her? Is it the power? Just curious.
Just that it's a bigger, heavier, and more powerful bike. But it also has a lot to do with your own confidence level, too. If you've done a good bit of riding in your first year and feel comfortable handling your bike, then there's absolutely no reason not to try something a little bigger that will be more enjoyable to ride. You seem confident enough, so go for it!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

From my experience, the weight in certain situations may cause difficulties, here a few examples: low speed maneuvers, parking or u-turns in narrow not-flat spaces , stopping/starting in an uneven and/or poor condition road and/or scarce visibility (typically gas stations entrance/exit). Recently I have to stop on a steep downhill road along a construction area and the road was tilted to the right (which is not uncommon in Colorado mountain roads) so my right foot couldn't touch down and I can't change gear or put in neutral once stopped. Fortunately I was able to put in first gear before stopping because I was aware of the potential problem.

It's true the CTX1300 hide the weight pretty well in all normal situations but the roads and other drivers are full of surprises.

BTW Before the CTX1300 I had the CTX700 model which is OK on highway up to 65-70 mph (no vibrations).

·
Registered
10 Posts
ctx 1300

I would definately get the Ctx 1300.......you dont want to be switching bikes all the time. The Ctx is a keeper. It has the power, comfort, storage and an ultra smooth engine there wouldbe no reason to ever swap it out, you can upgrade to a taller windshield abd tour with it confortably. I am only 5'4" tall with a 27 inch inseam and traded my kawasaki vulcan 900 lt for the honda. My kawasaki had no power handled poorly and also vibrated a lot..These traits are typical of most cruisers the Ctx 1300 with the St1100 motor is in a totally different class of bike. Having said that I cut down the seat and with thick soled boots I am almost completelt flat footed. This gave me the extra bit of confidence I needed to ride the bike. With practice...around 4000kms worth I had no probkem taking my wife around town in heavy traffic on the bike.the ctx is so wellbalanced that I can honestly say that it is one of the easiest bikes to ride......especially once its moving withtraction control and abs brakes it is also a lot safer I dont understand why people get so hung up on weight......once a bike is over 500 pounds and leans to the point of no return.....most riders will lose it anyway. The strongest and most experienced will drop a bike if they are cut off and the bike hits the point of no return. The ctx has built in protection so if a minor parkinh lot spill occurs damage is minimal 1. Lastly I just bought a 1985 Goldwing 1200 which is heavier than the ctx 1300 and I spent a day riding it in city traffic and found the bike was so well balanced and eady to ride........ bottom line with practice and confidence you can easily ride a big bike......you have ridden the suzuki for a year and compared to sportbikes and smalker bike it is abig bike.....plan your stops and starts scope out the rode and terrsin and if it means you circle the block and park where you are comforyabke..,, so be it.....lastlyly dont buy a ctx 1300 you will regert it....sorry forthe long post as I was replying to your messag all these thoughts jumped intomy head......good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Meant to say dont buy the ctx 700....you will regret it.....and out grow it quicly.....buy the ctx 1300.....sorry for the typo....

·
Registered
168 Posts
He Dodi you make a little typing error.
The CTX has the same engine as the ST1300 not the 1100.

and for Tess_T: try it and you will probebly buy it

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Registered
128 Posts
I rode a Tiger 800 12,000 miles during my first year of riding before adding the CTX1300. The size was a little intimidating at first, but I quickly got used to it. I find it easier to ride than my Tiger. The stability of the CTX is awesome. I commute on my bikes year round and try to mix them up, but the CTX is my go-to bike on the windiest and stormiest days. At 5'10", I am flat-footed when sitting forward on the seat, but I prefer to sit further back which results in just getting onto the balls of my feet; however, the bike is so well balanced I feel equally comfortable no matter the position of my feet. It's not unusual for me to put just one foot down. This balance should give shorter riders a fighting chance at getting comfortable on the bike, so you should definitely check it out for yourself.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My wife is 5'2" and started with a 250 Rebel. Six month later to a 650 Shadow. One year later to a VTX1300. The following year I got her a CTX1300. She loves it. She wears tall soles on her boots and manages just fine. She loves the way way the bike handles on the twisties.

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got to sit on one. What an amazing bike!

I had no problem getting it off the kick stand. The balance is awesome. Unfortunately I just didn't feel right about not being able to flat foot it.

Maybe someday they will come out with a version for shorter people. That day this bike will be mine.

Thanks again for the help. Safe riding!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ctx 1300

Finally got to sit on one. What an amazing bike!

I had no problem getting it off the kick stand. The balance is awesome. Unfortunately I just didn't feel right about not being able to flat foot it.

Maybe someday they will come out with a version for shorter people. That day this bike will be mine.

Thanks again for the help. Safe riding!
You have to go with your gut feeling....my suggestion is rather than wait for Honda to modify the seat or suspension an option exists for you when you feel more comfortable with the decision to buy one. Shave down the seat by an inch or two and wear thick soled boots....should get you flatfooted

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I didn't know flat footing was a requirement. As a vertically challenged person, I wouldn't have purchased over 1/2 of the bikes I've had.
Still, if you aren't comfortable with any bike for any reason, it is better not to get it. You won't enjoy it and that's what it is about.

Reactions: psullam
1 - 20 of 20 Posts