CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CTX1300 at 2,000 miles and now have 5,500 on it. Questions:

1. The CTX weighs about 60 lbs more than the ST1300. Where was the weight added? That's a lot of metal ... where could it be?

2. Does anyone know how the V4 compares in performance to the old Gold Wing 4 cylinder engine? I remembered that was the standard for some time, and Honda remembered -- the CTX got a V4 not a flat-six. I wondered if anyone has ridden both and could compare engines characteristics.

My last bike was a Sportster, stage 1. The CTX is a great improvement, just lacking personality. If reliability and refinement qualify as personality, the CTX has it.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Cannot reply about the GW performance vs CTX1300 performance.

The weight is actually within one or two lbs if comparing equally. CTX1300 Deluxe is about 731 lbs WET, ST1300 is about 730 lbs WET. The CTX1300 Standard is about 724 lbs WET. WET weight is with all fluids and a tank of gas. The ST has a 7+ gallon tank and the CTX1300 has a 5.1 gallon tank. The weight difference between the Deluxe (sold world wide) and the Standard (sold only in the USA) is the ABS/TC system mostly, and a very little bit for the audio controller parts (maybe a lb or two).

There are many sources of spec information and some vary a lot depending on how the bike is equipped.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The CTX1300 is much quicker than any of the four cylinder Gold Wings. It's even a bit quicker than an ST1100. But it's not as quick as the ST1300.

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Now that you mentioned the ST1100 I do recall that the CTX is quicker that that one. I had a ST1100 just before my CTX1300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for replies. I guess I was wrong about the weight difference. I am a bit surprised that the CTX is faster than the ST1100; I wouldn't have expected that.

I have to say that I really feel more appreciation for the CTX the longer I have it. It doesn't have the throaty, growly exhaust of the Sportster with Bassani exhaust, yet it has a lot more top end without losing its breath. 80-90 mph on the interstate is smooth as g.l.a.s.s. And it has Acura quality everywhere. I find it curious that ST owners and others dismiss the CTX when it's really a very pleasurable long-distance bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
From my association with the ST-Owners forum and group of riders they were looking for a replacement for the discontinued ST1300 and were mostly disappointed that this bike wasn't it. It is a different ride. Many ST riders also crave faster speeds and the performance near that of a sport bike yet also ability to tour. I think the CTX1300 does extremely well at the touring and is not that far off performance riding, though not near nor intended for sport bike performance. But mostly it just wasn't what they wanted to see for a ST1300 replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts