CTX 1300 Forum banner
821 - 840 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello ! I'm 69 yrs old and retired 3 years ago. I've owned 5 bikes since then. I'm currently riding a 2019 harley fatboy. I like the harley because it feels light and its easy to handle because of the low center of gravity. But my heart has been set on the ctx1300 touring bike for awhile. I never bought it because I'm not tall enough to plant my feet on the ground when sitting on it. But then a couple of days ago I came across this forum and I began reading some of the postings on how to lower the seat height. Turns out that nobody makes lowering links for this bike, but it seems its still possible to lower it 1 to 2 inches ! Thanks to this forum I now am looking forward to buying one. All my previous bikes have been cruisers except for one. like I said, I wanted the 1300 but the seat height was to high, so I settled for the ctx700. Its a great bike, but lacked the power I was looking for. Hopefully in the next week or so I will have confirmation on the availability of shorter shocks. Have the seat shaved down, and lower the triple tree on the forks ! Thanks for letting join this forum !!
Oh ! If anyone is looking to sell their CTX, I'm looking !!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Welcome @madmex54
There is always a way to do almost anything on any bike. Likely the threads you read in this forum gave you some ideas. I don't remember if anyone tried rear shocks shorter than 11 inches. But you do want to be careful going shorter since you want to ensure enough clearance for the rear tire. Also, lowering a bike reduces the clearance in leans for the curves. But if that doesn't concern you then lower away! (some guys love leaning hard on curvy roads with this bike so need as much clearance as possible to avoid scraping pegs)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome @madmex54
There is always a way to do almost anything on any bike. Likely the threads you read in this forum gave you some ideas. I don't remember if anyone tried rear shocks shorter than 11 inches. But you do want to be careful going shorter since you want to ensure enough clearance for the rear tire. Also, lowering a bike reduces the clearance in leans for the curves. But if that doesn't concern you then lower away! (some guys love leaning hard on curvy roads with this bike so need as much clearance as possible to avoid scraping pegs)
Many thanks Bob ! I'm not a young man anymore 😥 so I'm never taking hard leans on curvy roads. Just wanna ride comfy and relaxed on long distance rides ! Have never owned a touring bike, just cruisers. time for a change.

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
Many thanks Bob ! I'm not a young man anymore 😥 so I'm never taking hard leans on curvy roads. Just wanna ride comfy and relaxed on long distance rides ! Have never owned a touring bike, just cruisers. time for a change.
Didn't want to assume anything. I'm 66 and still like some curves (on the road too! :) ) and I know and ride with some guys who are in their 70's and ride the curvy roads. They also ride sport touring bikes like FJR and ST1300 and BMW rt1200, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hello ! I'm 69 yrs old and retired 3 years ago. I've owned 5 bikes since then. I'm currently riding a 2019 harley fatboy. I like the harley because it feels light and its easy to handle because of the low center of gravity. But my heart has been set on the ctx1300 touring bike for awhile. I never bought it because I'm not tall enough to plant my feet on the ground when sitting on it. But then a couple of days ago I came across this forum and I began reading some of the postings on how to lower the seat height. Turns out that nobody makes lowering links for this bike, but it seems its still possible to lower it 1 to 2 inches ! Thanks to this forum I now am looking forward to buying one. All my previous bikes have been cruisers except for one. like I said, I wanted the 1300 but the seat height was to high, so I settled for the ctx700. Its a great bike, but lacked the power I was looking for. Hopefully in the next week or so I will have confirmation on the availability of shorter shocks. Have the seat shaved down, and lower the triple tree on the forks ! Thanks for letting join this forum !!
Oh ! If anyone is looking to sell their CTX, I'm looking !!
Welcome to the forum Madmex! sorry for the delayed response. I was out riding! I also owned the CTX700 which I purchased after manhandling a big dog Goldwing for multiple years. I was so tired of the weight I decided on the 700 over the 1300. I was happy for about one riding season and like you, the power just wasn't enough and I got blown around a little too much in slightly heavier winds, so I decided to switch/look for a 1300. While the weight is definitely heavier, I've not had the issues I did with the Wing. I'm right at 6 feet with more length in my torso than my legs. All the other cruisers I owned, I could set flat footed. The bike I purchased had a Corbin seat installed, so I don't know how the seat height would compare to the OEM, but it hasn't been a problem for me personally. I have come to appreciate how nicely this bike maneuvers and how much easier it is to handle at low speed unlike my Wing.

I've enjoyed this bike a ton already in the small amount of time I've had it. Got it in March, and due to weather, haven't really been able to start riding until a month ago. I can't quite figure out the handlebar position yet, but I had an awful time with my wing as well even with handlebar risers. I've come to realize that my cruiser bike set up of the 80's with those teardrop bars that come back and have your wrists twist up just slightly just aren't in the design plans with the new bikes. The grips in the new bike set ups cause my wrists to turn outward slightly and after awhile, my wrist gets numb and sore. At least with the wing, I could get a little relief with the cruise and let up a little. But I'm really happy with the bike overall and I'll keep looking at some posts too on the handlebars as I know there are a bunch of them. I'm not hellbent on doing something different, but I sure would like them to match what my two older Magna 700 series bikes had. Man, I could go all day on that handlebar set up and not feel a thing. Of course, I was a young stud back then too, so maybe that's got something to do with it!!!

Good luck finding a bike. My search was meant to be I guess. Found first one with less than 5000 miles and showroom perfect and the guy was super nice. Was very fortunate and in my fav red color.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I traded a CTX700 for my first CTX1300. I like the foot position much better on the 1300. I felt like a parachute on the 700. My second CTX1300 is my favorite bike I've ever owned. It's comfortable. It's smooth. It's powerful enough. And it just goes forever.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the forum Madmex! sorry for the delayed response. I was out riding! I also owned the CTX700 which I purchased after manhandling a big dog Goldwing for multiple years. I was so tired of the weight I decided on the 700 over the 1300. I was happy for about one riding season and like you, the power just wasn't enough and I got blown around a little too much in slightly heavier winds, so I decided to switch/look for a 1300. While the weight is definitely heavier, I've not had the issues I did with the Wing. I'm right at 6 feet with more length in my torso than my legs. All the other cruisers I owned, I could set flat footed. The bike I purchased had a Corbin seat installed, so I don't know how the seat height would compare to the OEM, but it hasn't been a problem for me personally. I have come to appreciate how nicely this bike maneuvers and how much easier it is to handle at low speed unlike my Wing.

I've enjoyed this bike a ton already in the small amount of time I've had it. Got it in March, and due to weather, haven't really been able to start riding until a month ago. I can't quite figure out the handlebar position yet, but I had an awful time with my wing as well even with handlebar risers. I've come to realize that my cruiser bike set up of the 80's with those teardrop bars that come back and have your wrists twist up just slightly just aren't in the design plans with the new bikes. The grips in the new bike set ups cause my wrists to turn outward slightly and after awhile, my wrist gets numb and sore. At least with the wing, I could get a little relief with the cruise and let up a little. But I'm really happy with the bike overall and I'll keep looking at some posts too on the handlebars as I know there are a bunch of them. I'm not hellbent on doing something different, but I sure would like them to match what my two older Magna 700 series bikes had. Man, I could go all day on that handlebar set up and not feel a thing. Of course, I was a young stud back then too, so maybe that's got something to do with it!!!

Good luck finding a bike. My search was meant to be I guess. Found first one with less than 5000 miles and showroom perfect and the guy was super nice. Was very fortunate and in my fav red color.
Your Corbin probably adds about an inch to the standard seat’s 29.1” height. From the pics I have seen, these look like a comfy seat, though.

Bruce

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX1300
1 Posts
Well it took me a couple of years to get the CTX1300, and I’m so glad I did.
The CTX1300 checks the most boxes for me, and it’s a great compliment to my other bike, a Honda Fury.
I had a CTX700 and enjoyed it, until I decided to run it off the road and try some dirt riding.
Though the 1300 is similar In appearance, I find it so much more. My first impression was how much bigger it was. For the most part, the reviews have been accurate and I haven’t found any surprises. Buying used from a couple of previous owners who did not ride it much, I cannot think of a better deal than what I got. So much value and bike!
Looking to do a couple of longer trips in comfort and style.
Take care and hope to see a couple of fellow CTX1300 riders on the road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your Corbin probably adds about an inch to the standard seat’s 29.1” height. From the pics I have seen, these look like a comfy seat, though.

Bruce
Bruce, You are dead on regarding the comfort. I've never had anything other than a stock seat on all the bikes I've ever owned. I purchased this bike with only the Corbin so I have no comparison to what the stock seat would be, but I ride all day in this thing and my butt feels like it did when I started out. When you are standing there and feel it or press your hand to it, it is darn firm with little give, so you might think that thing will hurt after a bit, but it just seems to support all parts of my rear so well that after riding for a considerable time, I don't have sore spots at all. I love the darn thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well it took me a couple of years to get the CTX1300, and I’m so glad I did.
The CTX1300 checks the most boxes for me, and it’s a great compliment to my other bike, a Honda Fury.
I had a CTX700 and enjoyed it, until I decided to run it off the road and try some dirt riding.
Though the 1300 is similar In appearance, I find it so much more. My first impression was how much bigger it was. For the most part, the reviews have been accurate and I haven’t found any surprises. Buying used from a couple of previous owners who did not ride it much, I cannot think of a better deal than what I got. So much value and bike!
Looking to do a couple of longer trips in comfort and style.
Take care and hope to see a couple of fellow CTX1300 riders on the road.
Welcome Popsi! I too had a similar situation like you. Found my favorite Red color right off the bat and was owned by two prior riders that babied the darn thing and put on less than 5K miles combined. I'm lovin' the bike and so happy I moved up from the CTX700 I had. I had a week of vacation last week and wanted to do riding, but temps here were in the mid 90's and I just didn't want to battle that uncomfortable heat. Finally, Friday the temps were back down to 75-80 and low humidity. I took off early and didn't want to come home. Oh well. Cooler temps are comin. I'm already close now to an oil change as I've been putting on some miles this summer. Man, I like this bike!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to CTX1300Forum.com - the largest and friendliest Honda CTX 1300 Forum! As a new member we ask that you introduce yourself to us. Tell us a bit about your riding history, why you love (or hate!) the Honda CTX 1300, and a bit about yourself. Thanks!

-Jeff
Welcome to CTX1300Forum.com - the largest and friendliest Honda CTX 1300 Forum! As a new member we ask that you introduce yourself to us. Tell us a bit about your riding history, why you love (or hate!) the Honda CTX 1300, and a bit about yourself. Thanks!

-Jeff
New owner in Tennessee. I am 75 years old and I have been riding over 60 years. I have owned many bikes, and one trike, over the years. I have over 500,000 miles on Goldwings. I am still actively riding, with at least one multi week trip each year. This year's trip was 3 weeks plus and over 6,000 miles. I had, and will do other trips this year of a week or less. This is my first CTX 1300. I looking forward to riding it. I am looking for saddlebag guards and front pegs, so anyone that can assist me in getting a set of each I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Welcome @JRLinTN , from deep South Texas !!

Might check out the “Meetup in the Mountains 2021” thread in the ‘Rides & Events’ section. Happening in a few weeks, basing out of Fancy Gap, VA.

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
@JRLinTN
welcome to the forum. Check out the sticky thread in the Appearance & Body subform on that very item. Charlie is the member here who makes those saddlebag guards and is the one to directly contact about them.
Likely the best way, and fastest way, to contact @menosabe is using his direct email address...

Charlie Rogina <[email protected]>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks.
Welcome @JRLinTN , from deep South Texas !!

Might check out the “Meetup in the Mountains 2021” thread in the ‘Rides & Events’ section. Happening in a few weeks, basing out of Fancy Gap, VA.
@JRLinTN
welcome to the forum. Check out the sticky thread in the Appearance & Body subform on that very item. Charlie is the member here who makes those saddlebag guards and is the one to directly contact about them.
Likely the best way, and fastest way, to contact @menosabe is using his direct email address...

Charlie Rogina <[email protected]>
Thank you Bob. I sent him an email.

·
Registered
11 Posts
10.5" shocks from MB Products through Wild Bikers

MB Products Shocks Chrome
Choose Your Length: 10.5"
Year: 2014
Make: Honda
Model: CTX 1300 deluxe
Hello Gayle00 ! After replacing the 12 inch shocks on your ctx, how much lower did it drop the seat height ? I'm thinking you got at least a 3 inch drop. I saw some 10 inch and 10.5 inch air shocks on ebay for $65.99 each.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
Appreciate all that you've assembled here. Great for research. Long time rider with most recent bikes being 4-5 gen 1 Ventures (sold them in my youth but couldn't afford them), gen 2 Venture, Valkyrie, 1983 GL650 etc. I see this as much like the GL650. 1 year production. Based on a tried & true platform, twisted cylinders, shaft etc. The bike had it's quirks but was great for what I used it for. These days I like to relax and cruise windy roads but prefer more than 2 cylinders and don't wan to to spend my time on maintenance. This is a well engineered bike mechanically, comfortable, reliable, not obnoxiously loud etc. Virtually no concern about most of the complaints I've seen or heard. All seem to be pretty much addressable, or not a concern to me personally.

Looking to find a solid, clean example. Actually toying with the idea of buying the new on that's still out in MO. Comes with the famous one year warranty even though it's a bit pricey compared to some of the available used options (with exception of the one in Daytona that was recently posted for $1299;). I'd like to find the blue top case somewhere if I go that route so if anyone has one they want to divest themselves of I'm all ears.

Thanks, and I hope to provide some contributions in the future.

Greg
A.K.A. WilCruiser

·
Registered
829 Posts
Welcome aboard, @WilCruiser !!! Liking my blue deluxe so much that I am thinking of changing - serial numbers, that is. Mine’s got 43K miles now - not high mileage for these, but there’s lots available with less than 10K (several less than 5K!). I ride at least 7.5K per year, so I could “gain” 4 to 5 years worth of miles by swapping. Matter of fact - rode 248 miles each way today to check out a black deluxe w/ 10,009 miles on it. See - another 495 miles on the clock just today. Decisions, decisions ....... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Hi All,
Appreciate all that you've assembled here. Great for research. Long time rider with most recent bikes being 4-5 gen 1 Ventures (sold them in my youth but couldn't afford them), gen 2 Venture, Valkyrie, 1983 GL650 etc. I see this as much like the GL650. 1 year production. Based on a tried & true platform, twisted cylinders, shaft etc. The bike had it's quirks but was great for what I used it for. These days I like to relax and cruise windy roads but prefer more than 2 cylinders and don't wan to to spend my time on maintenance. This is a well engineered bike mechanically, comfortable, reliable, not obnoxiously loud etc. Virtually no concern about most of the complaints I've seen or heard. All seem to be pretty much addressable, or not a concern to me personally.

Looking to find a solid, clean example. Actually toying with the idea of buying the new on that's still out in MO. Comes with the famous one year warranty even though it's a bit pricey compared to some of the available used options (with exception of the one in Daytona that was recently posted for $1299;). I'd like to find the blue top case somewhere if I go that route so if anyone has one they want to divest themselves of I'm all ears.

Thanks, and I hope to provide some contributions in the future.

Greg
A.K.A. WilCruiser
This new bike you're looking at, is it the standard or the deluxe model. And how much are they asking?

821 - 840 of 856 Posts