CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Honda CTX1300 friends. Today, I listed my motorcycle for sale on Cycle Trader. I feel strange, because this bike is great and I connected with it more strongly than any other bike I have ever had. But my riding style continues to evolve. With that said, I am moving on to another bike.

There is nothing wrong with the CTX1300. It is amazing. Great fit, feel, power. But, I want a windscreen that adjusts. I want more modern technology options: Cruise control, heated grips/seat, a stereo system that plays AM/FM radio in addition to Bluetooth and USB connectivity. I would like more power and lean angle, a true sport touring machine. Although my Honda CTX1300 is amazing in so many ways, I want to explore a newer and more modern bona fide sport touring machine.

Over the past couple of years I have been keeping my eye out for a lightly used good condition Honda Goldwing (Honda brand loyalty). However, I have also been looking at the BMW K1600GT or BMW R1200RT. I have not ridden a Honda GL or a BMW K1600, but I have ridden the R1200RT before (my dad’s bike). Although I seriously considered the larger heaver bikes (GL and K1600) I found myself drawn to going lighter (R1200RT).

The R1200Rt is considered by many to be one of the top-choice sport touring options on the market. It has lots of modern tech, a great lean angle, more than enough power (125 hp), smooth delivery, an adjustable windscreen (I am tall), and depending on the year you can find it in RED. I swear I have watched almost every Youtube video available on this bike.

Honda brand loyalty is a thing. I have owned six Honda motorcycles (all RED except one). But, I am feeling that I should diversify. The BMW brand is well known and respected and I have a personal connection and history with BMW MOA/RA (my parents are lifetime BMW MOA members). I have attended two international, one national, and one regional BMW event over the past 10+ years. Owning multiple brands, and bikes, is okay.

So, just a couple weeks ago a few R1200RT were on the market (hard to come by). Some were older, some were newer, and just about all of them had many miles (50,000 to 60,000 +). I was not looking for a bike with more miles than I had on the CTX. Then, I got a Cycle Trader notification of a 2018 BMW R1200RT with 9,000 miles, and it was RED. This R1200RT was fully loaded with all options (sport package, touring package, navigation package, safety package, etc.). It was located in Asheville NC, only a short drive from my home in SC. I had to see it.

As soon as possible I drove to Asheville to review the bike. Wow… it looked brand new. We started the bike, went over a few things, and I rode it around the parking lot a bit. The bike fit well (although some adjustments are needed and expected), the weight was noticeably lighter (600lbs) and it was easier to maneuver than the CTX.

I went home, called my folks, talked to my wife, and made the decision to buy the BMW R1200RT. I didn’t waist time. One day after the test ride I purchased the bike and brought it home.

So, I feel it is time to sell the Honda CTX1300. No sense in having both bikes in the garage.

If you or anyone you know is interested in my Honda CTX1300, let me know. The listing on Cycle Trader is now live.

I will sell the accessories, and spare parts, separately.
  • Brand new OEM tall windscreen (still in box) that I bought last year as a backup.
  • Brand new OEM top case adapter (brand new and in box).
  • Brand new OEM air filter (still in box, unopened).
  • Used OEM Cargo Rack.
  • Used OEM Passenger backrest
  • New OEM Handgrips (took them off and replaced them with Kury/ISO grips before I drove the bike home from the Dealership).
  • Honda CTX1300 Shop Manuel
Link to the listing: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Honda-Ctx-5016344576

I am still participating in all our rides and events. Although I am drawn to a newer bike, it will not lure me away from our community. I have been a part of the CTX culture from the start. I am a lifetime member of our forum and I intend to continue to participate as a friend.

If my bike does not sell that does not bother me (yet). The bike is great, is in excellent condition, and I may ride it from time to time.

I look forward to our many rides together! See you all very soon at some point on the road.

Peace,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice writeup. The R1200RT is a great bike. I rented one a few years ago and thought it was the nicest bike I had ever driven. I almost got one last year but found a tremendous deal on a K1600GTL I couldn't pass up. The K1600 is great but the extra weight over the R1200 is very noticeable. I still have the CTX but will probably be making some changes next year. Planning on doing some touring with the K this year. BMW rally is in Great Falls Montana. Trying to work things out for some long rides. Good luck with the new ride and Thanks for all the informational videos.

·
Registered
1300A Black
8 Posts
Hello Honda CTX1300 friends. Today, I listed my motorcycle for sale on Cycle Trader. I feel strange, because this bike is great and I connected with it more strongly than any other bike I have ever had. But my riding style continues to evolve. With that said, I am moving on to another bike.

There is nothing wrong with the CTX1300. It is amazing. Great fit, feel, power. But, I want a windscreen that adjusts. I want more modern technology options: Cruise control, heated grips/seat, a stereo system that plays AM/FM radio in addition to Bluetooth and USB connectivity. I would like more power and lean angle, a true sport touring machine. Although my Honda CTX1300 is amazing in so many ways, I want to explore a newer and more modern bona fide sport touring machine.

Over the past couple of years I have been keeping my eye out for a lightly used good condition Honda Goldwing (Honda brand loyalty). However, I have also been looking at the BMW K1600GT or BMW R1200RT. I have not ridden a Honda GL or a BMW K1600, but I have ridden the R1200RT before (my dad’s bike). Although I seriously considered the larger heaver bikes (GL and K1600) I found myself drawn to going lighter (R1200RT).

The R1200Rt is considered by many to be one of the top-choice sport touring options on the market. It has lots of modern tech, a great lean angle, more than enough power (125 hp), smooth delivery, an adjustable windscreen (I am tall), and depending on the year you can find it in RED. I swear I have watched almost every Youtube video available on this bike.

Honda brand loyalty is a thing. I have owned six Honda motorcycles (all RED except one). But, I am feeling that I should diversify. The BMW brand is well known and respected and I have a personal connection and history with BMW MOA/RA (my parents are lifetime BMW MOA members). I have attended two international, one national, and one regional BMW event over the past 10+ years. Owning multiple brands, and bikes, is okay.

So, just a couple weeks ago a few R1200RT were on the market (hard to come by). Some were older, some were newer, and just about all of them had many miles (50,000 to 60,000 +). I was not looking for a bike with more miles than I had on the CTX. Then, I got a Cycle Trader notification of a 2018 BMW R1200RT with 9,000 miles, and it was RED. This R1200RT was fully loaded with all options (sport package, touring package, navigation package, safety package, etc.). It was located in Asheville NC, only a short drive from my home in SC. I had to see it.

As soon as possible I drove to Asheville to review the bike. Wow… it looked brand new. We started the bike, went over a few things, and I rode it around the parking lot a bit. The bike fit well (although some adjustments are needed and expected), the weight was noticeably lighter (600lbs) and it was easier to maneuver than the CTX.

I went home, called my folks, talked to my wife, and made the decision to buy the BMW R1200RT. I didn’t waist time. One day after the test ride I purchased the bike and brought it home.

So, I feel it is time to sell the Honda CTX1300. No sense in having both bikes in the garage.

If you or anyone you know is interested in my Honda CTX1300, let me know. The listing on Cycle Trader is now live.

• Brand new OEM tall windscreen (still in box) that I bought last year as a backup.
  • Used OEM Cargo Rack.
  • New OEM Handgrips (took them off and replaced them with Kury/ISO grips before I drove the bike home from the Dealership).
Link to the listing: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Honda-Ctx-5016344576

I am still participating in all our rides and events. Although I am drawn to a newer bike, it will not lure me away from our community. I have been a part of the CTX culture from the start. I am a lifetime member of our forum and I intend to continue to participate as a friend.

If my bike does not sell that does not bother me (yet). The bike is great, is in excellent condition, and I may ride it from time to time.

I look forward to our many rides together! See you all very soon at some point on the road.

How much for the shop manual?

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Well, OK, as long as you stick around. And good that you know the importance of RED!

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the top case to go along with the top case adaptor?
No top case, sorry. I got the adapter when I purchased the bike, thinking I might get the top case in the future. The adapter has never been out of the box!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well @HansenCTX I am excited for you on your new bike. I too sold my CTX and went with a bigger RED motorcycle. I am very happy with my new Goldwing for the comfort and tech it has to offer is outstanding. Occasionally I miss the struggle of the CTX but when I hit the throttle on the new wing of 125 hp I quickly say "Dang I love this new bike." I hope to see you on the road.
and remember RED will always be the fastest color.

·
Registered
2 Posts

• Used OEM Cargo Rack.

Peace,
Chris
Hi Chris,
I am interested in the top case adapter. My bike is blue, is the adapter black or is it colour matched to your red bike? Do you have a price in mind?
Brenda

·
Registered
10 Posts
Curious if you have much seat time in yet, the R1200RT is one of the other bikes i'm considering at the moment. The one I am going to go look at is $1500 more then the CTX, 2 years older at 50k vs 15k km. My main concern is 2up riding comfort

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love the Beemer R200RT; got to ride one a couple of times while assigned to my departments Traffic Division (was not a motor officer). Due to price I decided against it. Love my CTX but would get a R1200RT if a good chance came around. Congrates.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Curious if you have much seat time in yet, the R1200RT is one of the other bikes i'm considering at the moment. The one I am going to go look at is $1500 more then the CTX, 2 years older at 50k vs 15k km. My main concern is 2up riding comfort
Only about 100 miles so far. To be honest, I was planning to not sell the CTX1300 until after I had a lot of seat time on the BMW, just to make sure I was ready. The BMW RT I got had 9,000 miles!!! I know that if I needed to sell it I would get all my money back.

So, I have a date with the BMW dealer on Tuesday. They will do a look over on the bike, do some stuff that I need help with, and I will take this summer to get to know it and do a lot of rides. If the bike is good, I will keep it. If not, I will sell it and move to another bike.

Oh.... If my CTX does not sell, I am not worried at all! I do love my CTX1300!

Lets keep talking! I am more than willing to share my experience with the RT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only about 100 miles so far. To be honest, I was planning to not sell the CTX1300 until after I had a lot of seat time on the BMW, just to make sure I was ready. The BMW RT I got had 9,000 miles!!! I know that if I needed to sell it I would get all my money back.

So, I have a date with the BMW dealer on Tuesday. They will do a look over on the bike, do some stuff that I need help with, and I will take this summer to get to know it and do a lot of rides. If the bike is good, I will keep it. If not, I will sell it and move to another bike.

Oh.... If my CTX does not sell, I am not worried at all! I do love my CTX1300!

Lets keep talking! I am more than willing to share my experience with the RT.
That's awesome! That's one big advantage for the RT is resale. The CTX is going to be a hard bike to sell, one model year kills resale as it should. Serious concerns for parts availability that you will never have with the RT. Curious if you could try sitting in the pillion seat on both and let me know what one seems to have more room. Also how is the RT for leg room compared to the CTX?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris, you've been a big help to me with your instructional videos, so much appreciation for that. And it's always nice to see such a big fan of something that I enjoy too. Please continue to share your knowledge as you continue forward with your new ride. Hope we get the chance to meet up at some point (I won't be making the one in the Mtns.), as I'm in the Charlotte area and would be happy to grab a ride at a time in the future. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
82 Posts
We all change and our interest can alter over time. I think it's great you are getting a different bike to move forward as it were. I hope you really enjoy the new bike. Please let us know your thoughts as you get to know it more. Good luck in selling your bike and parts.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man it's really cool seeing how the police officers can throw them around, this video shows the full training course with drone shots of the R1200RT.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts