CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is not specifically related to the 1300, but we have a number of really experienced riders here, and I could use some tips.

I want to do a trip on the bike this weekend but the weather is supposed to be fairly wet--50% chance of rain starting after noon on Saturday and increasing to 80% after that through Sunday night. My destination is exactly 50 miles away. I need to avoid the freeway due to the infamous windshield issue, so I will not be going really fast anyway; Google Maps is estimating my driving time at 75 minutes.

I have driven in the rain before only when I have been caught in it, so I had no choice. I do have a rain suit, and possibly rain boots if I can take my other boots with me. (Packing them will be a challenge, as they are 17" tall--but I can pack other stuff like socks and underwear inside of them.) I have gloves with a zippered pocket on each one containing a waterproof cover for the glove, so I think my hands will be OK. The temperatures are supposed to be in the 60s except at night, but I won't have to drive more than a mile or two at night. I always take lots of microfiber cloths to wipe off the bike.

Any tips you have for riding in these conditions? I've already been caught in the rain once on the 1300 and it handled it beautifully, so I'm not quite so worried about that. My biggest issues will be the lack of saddlebag liners to pack stuff in (I might have to resort to trash bags--ugh) and getting another bag secured onto the passenger seat.

Speaking of saddlebag liners: I ordered the Saddlemen liners in the large size, thinking they would be about right for the 1300, but they are tiny compared to the 1300's saddlebags. I'm glad to know the saddlebags have a lot of capacity, but having everything fall out of them when you open them is not cool. And I'm concerned that the liners do not appear on the list of coming accessories, so we might have to wait awhile to get these until a third-party manufacturer steps up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ideally you would have a dry bag for your luggage. Other than that I would just make sure that you have waterproof gear.

Sorry if I'm not much of a help.

Be safe :D

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
I've been in the rain many times. It is now so that I really don't care if I start out in the rain or finish in it, if I want to ride, I ride. My riding boots are waterproof so that's taken care of. So are my gloves for 85*F and colder (I have 3 pair including my heated gloves, also water proof). In very warm temps, over 90*F, I wear mesh gloves and don't care if my hands get wet. Of course my full face helmet is water proof :) . That leaves my jacket and riding pants. I very much prefer a rain suit OVER my gear since that keeps the gear dry and warmer. If your rain suit works well than be sure to take it. If it looks like you're about to ride into a shower along the way, pull over and put it on. Better to take a few minutes and stay dry then save the little bit of time but get soaked.

Having 2 or 3 smaller bags in the saddlebags should not be much of an issue, it's a personal preference convenience thing really. My saddlebags open the same as on the CTX, but I do have cross straps inside and never have an issue with stuff falling out. My GW only had a net on the outer lid but not the inner part but still no problem with stuff falling out. I even rode about 15 miles in the country with one saddlebag open without realizing and nothing fell out though they were full. As to the bag on the pillion... I have a dry-bag for that (waterproof bag). Actually a few sizes, medium and large. Wally world has these for relatively cheap. That's where I got my big one and it's still going 5 years of using it for 3 camping trips per year. You could place your waterproof boots, stuffed with whatever you wish, in a large dry-bag on the pillion and place smaller stuff in the saddlebags in smaller ditty sacks or duffel bags to help keep them orderly. The most I would expect things thus contained to fall out when you open the saddlebag lids is to fall into the outer lid. Again, shouldn't be a biggie there. I pack like this all the time for my camping trips. I never just throw things in the saddlebags as is but always gather like items into small ditty sacks so I only have a few to deal with on each side, yet don't have to pull out the whole pack to get at just one item.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since I've driven thru just about everything there is,heavy rain storms,thunder storms,snow storms,ice storms,hurricanes,high winds,heavy fog,etc.,and if ya have a radio or CB unit,SHUT it off during a thunder storm],my advice,first and foremost,is to go SLOW,keep your speed down.Do NOT lock up your brakes.Do NOT accelerate or twist the throttle hard.Take the corners SLOW and WIDE,as if you were on ice.In other words,take your time,feel your machine out, and do NOT rush.Common sense should kick in here even for the most novice riders.

As for gear,a two piece rainsuit which will fit over your normal riding pants and jacket [which is what I carry] will work well.A pair of water proof boots or a pair of Totes that fit over your normal riding boots/shoes.[I also carry those] A helmet with a face mask or a good pair of safety glasses/goggles to keep the rain out of your eyes.

But I can NOT emphasize the SLOW part, ENOUGH when riding in rain.
And if the rain is torrential,pull over under a bridge,gas station,or some form of shelter because the road will become like a river and you may not be able to control the machine,AT ALL.[and we wouldn't wanna scratch up our new girl now,would we?? lol

So take your time and you should arrive in one piece.lol So enjoy,use common sense,and BE CAREFULL.Let us know how ya made out.Fair enough?? Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to say I won't be able to report on my wet weather riding experiences (though I may get some unintended practice later tonight). Due to various other factors, I had to cancel the trip. On the upside, though, it gave me the chance to ride for a few hours this afternoon in the best weather we have had since last year. It was WONDERFUL. Saw lots of other bikes out and got some admiring looks for the CTX. Tomorrow it will be really nasty weather and it will give me a chance to catch up on things, like cleaning up the garage after spending two full days out there installing my electrical upgrades.

All in all a much nicer weekend than I would have had otherwise, so sometimes things happen for a reason.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
lucked out all around then :D

Sad to say, in a way, there will be plenty of opportunity through the year to experience the rain riding techniques.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Glad things worked out, Steve!

I got lucky so far this weekend, too. Yesterday and today ended up really nice, despite a forecast of rain. Easily the nicest days of the year so far. Tomorrow is supposed to be 60's and sunny. Gonna try to plow through the rest of the break-in miles and scuff up the tires a bit more to hopefully get a taste of what she's got.

·
Registered
333 Posts
YA!! You got all the sunshine cause the front moved east and right up here to us.I WAS planning on riding today,but the sun never came out,until just now,not to mention that it was rainin like a cow pissin on a flat rock this mornin.GRRRRRRRRRR!! So much for riding today. And it's all YOUR FAULT.lol lol Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Today I went out again. It was cloudy and not as nice as the last two days, but I checked the local weather and it assured me it would stay dry. And my house thermometer said it was 62 outside (it wasn't, it was only 55). So off I went to one of two HD dealers in the area that were open today to look at helmets (one helmet in particular -- more on that in another thread). So I'm on the highway. It's a little chilly but otherwise the bike is its usual superb self, and I start hearing this pitter-patter on my head. And I look close at my visor and that tiny strip of a windscreen, and it's starting to [email protected]+#*%& rain. First just a sprinkle, then within a minute starts getting steady. Well I surely don't need to look at helmets that badly, so I got off the next exit and headed back. A few minutes later it thankfully stopped again. But the damage had been done -- my new bike got wet.

Edit -- Dave -- damm them cows!!!! :p

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
So how was the bike in the rain? Did you get hammered from the shoulders up? :)

I was just thinking that if the air stream was hitting me at my shoulders (as it would with the CTX1300) my jacket shoulder vents would work. With the bubble I'm currently in I only really get significant air at the upper helmet vent and very little in the chin vent or jacket shoulder vents. I don't usually open those but when it's not hot enough to remove the outer shell and yet still very warm I will and it would be nice for them to work as intended.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ya see Ed,God punished you for bein BAD to me by sending all that rain up here.So shame on you!! lol lol And besides, doesn't Honda offer pontoons as an option for the CTX??? lol lol Dave!!!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But the damage had been done -- my new bike got wet.
I hate when that happens! :D

I got rained on pretty good too on the way home on Saturday night. If I had started home just 10 minutes earlier I would have missed it, but things just happen that way.

That's why the can of Honda spray cleaner and a pile of microfiber cloths are a fixture in the garage. I buy those cloths in a big bundle from Costco. They are washable and reusable to some extent, but they are cheap enough to be disposable if and when they just get too much grease and/or road grime on them. My Honda dealer had a 50% off sale on the spray cleaner awhile back so I bought six cans!

Yeah, I'm kind of obsessive about keeping the bike looking good...

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
And this wet/rainy/sloppy weather continues. My Frogg Toggs are getting a workout.
At least "I" am staying dry. Was leaving work yesterday and as I walked out the building to my bike the daughter of one of the employees here was walking in with her dad and exclaimed "wow, that's a neat helmet" :)
I have a full face Hi-Viz graphic HJC IS-17 and I put on all my gear in the foyer before I walk outside when it is really cold or really wet.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pretty hard to miss that helmet!

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
Pretty hard to miss that helmet!
That's what I've been told by some co-workers who have followed me from a distance :D

Visibility. I have a black bike with a black top case and I wear black riding gear. Gotta have some visibility somewhere more than just the extra LED lights on my tail :D

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Visibility. I have a black bike with a black top case and I wear black riding gear. Gotta have some visibility somewhere more than just the extra LED lights on my tail :D
I ride with the same kind if gear--all black. (Gotta maintain that "biker" image, right? You should see how many black T-shirts I own.) My helmet (HJC CL-16) is gloss black. But I have two things going for me for visibility--the Skene Design lights front and rear (which are practically impossible to miss, especially at night) and strips of black tape on the helmet that reflect bright white when hit with headlights. Those two things might not be foolproof--nothing is, after all--but they seem to have worked well for me so far. I still keep one of those vests with lime-yellow, fluorescent orange, and reflective silver on the bike, just in case, but I very rarely wear it.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
I was thinking of adding a vest but just can't seem to get around to getting one. I guess I keep thinking that would be one more thing I likely would forget to wear anyway. :)
My helmet and LED lighting seems to handle it for now.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
Get to practice more wet weather riding skills on the way home. NWS announced a tornado watch for our area until 7 pm :eek:
Oh, and a severe storm is blowing through now. Going home in 50 minutes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts