CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where are you planning on going for the big get away this summer. Is it the Appalachians or the rockies. Perhaps Higway 1 in California

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a trip planned on my new CTX1300 from Hot Springs, AR to St. Louis, Chicago, Rhinelander, Wisconsin, across Canada to Madawaska Maine, south from there to Pennsylvania and back home. Leaving out late June for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rides

In May my colleague and me are riding to Holland via the ferry from Folkestone in Kent.
In June another colleague and me are riding to Vienna,Austria via the Channel Tunnel rail link.
Done the journey to Austria before going through France,Belgium,Luxembourg,Germany and Switzerland and all the different languages.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If I can get a few days off work in the Spring I'd like to go up to Gettysburg and then on to visit friends in New Jersey.

If I can get a fourth day off I'll run Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway instead of the highway on my return.

It's hard to beat Appalachia in the Spring for motorcycling. The redbuds are already starting to show. The ice is off the roads. The colors are spectacular here in the Spring.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
In June, I'm heading a little west to ride the Blueridge Parkway and then take a day to visit Deal's Gap, because I've never been there. I absolutely can't wait. Last summer, I took the bike up to Lancaster and explored some awesome riding roads there. Hoping to get in a trip to see family in Northern PA by the end of summer, and I still have my eyes on a cross-country trip within the next 10 years. That's probably a pipe-dream however haha. :)

Reactions: V0X and menosabe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hoping to get a trip to Dijon via Euro tunnel, have used it before for bike trips makes it so easy, 1st long trip on this bike and 1st long trip to Europe on a bike really looking forward to it, looking to go end of June or early July.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dijon

Hoping to get a trip to Dijon via Euro tunnel, have used it before for bike trips makes it so easy, 1st long trip on this bike and 1st long trip to Europe on a bike really looking forward to it, looking to go end of June or early July.
You will really enjoy it and as you have already been before I am sure you will have met up with the French bikers always a wave.
The Euro Tunnel is so much quicker and civilised.
The last time I went I was on the GL1800 so I am hoping this one will be as comfortable and possibly more fuel efficient.:smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
117 Posts
So where are you planning on going for the big get away this summer. Is it the Appalachians or the rockies. Perhaps Higway 1 in California
Great Thread!!!!

I want to get to LA once this year. Hang out there for awhile. That route is why I bought a CTX1300 ... (water cooled and comfy)

Im planning on heading east in late august also... that will be a long trip for me.. Denver to east PA is a challenge weather and distance wise....

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
North by northwest

Last year we did the Appalachians with the Charahala Skyway being our favorite. Year before we did the from LA to San Francisco up Hwy 101 and back down Hwy 1. Year before that we did Colorado.
This year we plan form Dallas, Tx up to Sturgis, SD. Then west to Yellowstone, Wy and what ever other twisting road we can find.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rides

Last year we did the Appalachians with the Charahala Skyway being our favorite. Year before we did the from LA to San Francisco up Hwy 101 and back down Hwy 1. Year before that we did Colorado.
This year we plan form Dallas, Tx up to Sturgis, SD. Then west to Yellowstone, Wy and what ever other twisting road we can find.
Hi menosabe,
What sort of mileage are you talking about,it sounds like quite a few,probably twice the mileage I am doing.
Cheers Melv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drummer, Dallas to Sturgis is 1000 each way. Sturgis to Yellowstone is 460 each way. So it will be around 3500 miles if I leave room for straying to see the sites. That's less than 250 miles per day based on 16 vacation days. That's not much compared to what Kniterider who will do 10,000 on a trip. And yes, I am rounding my numbers

·
Registered
229 Posts
Rides

Drummer, Dallas to Sturgis is 1000 each way. Sturgis to Yellowstone is 460 each way. So it will be around 3500 miles if I leave room for straying to see the sites. That's less than 250 miles per day based on 16 vacation days. That's not much compared to what Kniterider who will do 10,000 on a trip. And yes, I am rounding my numbers
Wow makes my rides seem like a shopping trip,ride safe and keep your knees in the breeze

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
After reaching adulthood 42 years ago, I try to hit the lower 48 with each bike I've owned. I succeeded until I got my Forza scooter last year, only 5 states. Then my V950T, but 6 states. Neighbor asked me to go to Alaska with him and I was considering it (did it in 2005), but I decided to settle for Gacier Park by riding highway to Co and starting near Durango and working up to Waterton. I did similar trip 2 years ago, but missed Glacier & Canada, so that is the reason for the return.
As far as the most miles in one trip, yep, Kniterider has me beat too. My max was 8,600 in 13 days and that was on a 2004 Honda Silverwing scooter pulling a homemade trailer. Wow, memories!!!!!!!!
When you guys take your trips, start a thread in the photo section and post some pics where ya go and a little info. I know some aren't so much into LD touring, but I love to see your pics and try to visit some of the places myself.....
I got an itch and I need to scratch.....

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Planning moto camping trips in June, August and September. June and Sept are likely both in Wisconsin and the August trip is to SE Minnesota. All are events listed on the ST-Owners.com forum and I also am listing them here in the Events & Gatherings forum as the time gets near (June is already listed now). Not a whole lot of miles but somewhere around 700-800 miles each round trip. 2 days of riding around the curvy roads in the areas and 3 nights camping for each trip, plus finding interesting routes getting there and back. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hope to revisit Mesa Verde and take another ride on the D&SNGRR in Sept. Then swing through Rocky Mountain National Park on the way back to Iowa.

Need my annual aspen fix.

(No, no, I didn't misspell it....:))

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Maybe ride from home in Sequim, WA [Olympic Peninsula] to Glacier National Park, with one way through SE British Columbia. I drove it some years ago in a Toyota Celica convertible. This be even better.

1500 miles in as many days as I want. I hope to recruit a few friends..

·
Registered
406 Posts
It only takes a hint or a word or two to get me packing for a LOONNNGG ride, Thats how I ended up doing my 3rd 50CC.. a couple of other officers wanted to do their first from down in Georgia, wanted to know if I would ride lead to help pace them that took all of about 30 seconds to say yes

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have done my long rides on beemers, wings and even rode non stop to miami back in 1985 from Maryland on a honda Sabre vf750. That was brutal. IT really makes a difference if you have your bike set up for LD riding and it fits YOU .

Now my most recent ride was done on my CTX1300 Mainly because I had already paid my fees , scheduled my leave and shot my mouth off that i was finally going to do this mega ride. I had made all these wonderful elaborate plans when I still had my 2012 wing.. BUT I was intentionally run off the highway at over 60 mph and it was totalled,,, 21000. damage and since the adjuster was taken back that an 18 month old bike already had almost 40,000 miles on it he totalled it.. Sooo I jumped ship to try something a little lighter and more maneuverable . CTX can easily handle the power requirements and reliability was not an issue either. BUT it did need the electronic cruise control the utopia backreast, and the run flat car tire to make the ride itself not so bone jarring.( 28 psi vs 41 psi on the rear end)
and it was fun to watch the other oldtimers LD riders get the put down at the end of each day when I was at the next check point too day after day

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not sure if you have heard of BCFR (Bike Club France) have a look
Cheers Melv

1 - 20 of 22 Posts