CTX 1300 Forum banner

3501 - 3520 of 3546 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Started with the install of the Viking bags I purchase recently. Got the old bags off and it looks like it's going to be a snap of a install as the inside of the bag is flat (with a couple grooves). I've been doing a mock up sitting the bags on different height boxes to get a feel on what they look like where. It should be just a matter of doing one side where I want it, drill it, then put the bags back to back to mark thru the holes for identical location. The original mounting bracket are at a slight angle in towards the rear so I haven't decided to use a space to bring the rear out away from the bike or not. Decisions decisions before I drill but I think they will look good and function much better than the clam shell originals.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
472 Posts
I may have to look into the Viking bags. I don't like the clamshell closing method of the Honda bags. It is easier to put stuff in/take out when the bag is top loading, like the Viking.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Ok heres the finished product installed. Although not without a little drama. The bags went on with few problems. After lining them up where I thought they looked good I installed the right side with two original bolts first. They were actually too long so I purchased a quarter inch shorter ones. I removed the bag and marked two additional holes. One is already present on the mounting plate. The fourth was for a additional brace I used from the kit supplied. After getting the right side on I removed it and placed it back to back with the left bag, marked the left bag and drilled it. I put the right bag back on and started to bolt on the left. I had thrown both keys into the left bag when doing the right. You see where this is going? I had the left bags bolts in place but not tight. My cell phone rang at the rear of the bike where it sat on a bucket. With little room to walk by the half mounted open left bag, without thinking I tipped the lid up to walk by and yes it closed and locked with the keys inside. I quit for the day. I called the mfg to get a replacement key but they DO NOT keep track of keys. They could send me a blank to which I held my tongue. So $50 later a local locksmith picked the lock. No damage to the bag or lock just my ego. Haven’t ridden it yet but I think they will work well. Even with the locksmith, with the 25% Valentine discount and some bolt/washer/nut I have right at $470 in them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took off the Honda tall windshield and installed my new Puig windshield this afternoon. The Puig was sloped back so far that I had to remove my cupholder. Switching the windshields was one of the easier things to do on the bike. Not any extra panels to remove. The rubber nuts that hold the windshield on had vibrated loose and slid down about 1/2" so I slid them back up and tightened them good. I will have to check them a little more often. The Puig also attaches with 6 bolts instead 4 on the Honda. I got in a nice ride to try it out. The air hits me at about nose level with the Puig. It goes over my helmet with the Honda tall with extender. It will be a great windshield for warm weather. Today was nice and warm at 70F so I got both bikes out and rode with a mesh jacket and gloves. Beats last weekend with heated jacket, gloves, chaps, and seat pad.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Another made for two wheels day in mid MO. 70 degrees Sunny and no wind. Got in 105 miles round trip. Probably would have done more but ran out of paved road at the Gasconade River & Cave Rd and had to backtrack a bit. I did notice gas prices up to $2.52 in Owensville MO near home.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Final cleanup and ride for my BMW GS Adventure (sold). Then I went to work on the CTX. Took it for a ride also. I’m not sure what changed in me, but I felt “ok” riding the BMW, but had a huge grin on my face riding my CTX. What is it about these bikes? Just a blast to ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Ride from home to St Peter’s MO Rec Plex to watch a granddaughter play in a Vball tourney. Came in fourth out of eight. Pics are the team and my girl getting off the ground to serve. She’s quite the athlete. Home again by a different route. I must say I live near some pretty good m/c roads. 182 round trip.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I took a pretty long ride yesterday. Got north, west, and south of St Louis. Just hitting some back roads. Tired me out. I haven’t been getting much exercise lately. 200+ miles and I headed for the barn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Went out and looked at mine as it rained all darn day. Started playing on the internet at "stuff for sale" and I came across a brand new CTX1300 Deluxe Blue with no extras and 1 mile on it at a dealer. I called to see what a "out the door price" would be, including fresh fluids/battery/tires. The salesman balked at the tires but said the rest was doable but couldn't give me a price as his "finance girl" was off till next Tues and he couldn't see what they "owed" on it. I thought that a peculiar statement. What ya all feel would be a good "out the door price"?

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Ordered a new rear tire. Mich Comm lll. Shop said his supplier no longer carries the ll. The lll is pricier. Just over 9000 miles on the present ll and still has some life left but not enough to carry thru riding season and a few trip I'm looking at.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changed the coolant and spark plugs and checked the valve clearances. After 43,000 km the valves were right on the change the shims. It wasn’t too difficult but I still don’t like that I have to remove many plastic pieces just to get at the parts. Ready for the spring now!

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Just heard back from the salesman at Yatch Club Powersports Osage Beach MO on the new Deluxe they have. I think they are crazy but they are asking $12,500 out the door. He tried to make it out as a great deal with the $17k list price. But when I mentioned tires again on a 7 year old bike and NADA and KBB pricing he didn’t want to talk anymore. Looks like I’ll be keeping what I have.

3501 - 3520 of 3546 Posts