CTX 1300 Forum banner

3561 - 3580 of 3586 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
yesterday

went Hiflow brand filter (on the left)

over it was my first time to do the air filter (dealer did it at 16k for me); now at 42k; yeah that filter needed replacement - 2 hrs
yes I did buy the ST1300 filter, so I had to drill the mounting holes.
plugs are 24k in mileage as well; went back with the same plugs (if it aint broke dont make it broke)

filter:
HiFlo Air Filter for Honda ST 1300 02-12 HFA1923 OEM Replacement 23-1923 Paper

plugs (yes verified as real):
NGK Standard Spark Plugs - Stock #3486 - CR7EH-9 - Threaded Stud

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,562 ·
Gave the Honda CTX1300D a full detail (including polished chrome, waxed paint, and the works). WOW!!! This bike is beyond sexy!!

Chris Hansen

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,563 ·
yesterday

View attachment 46820

View attachment 46821

View attachment 46822

went Hiflow brand filter (on the left)

View attachment 46823

View attachment 46824

View attachment 46825

over it was my first time to do the air filter (dealer did it at 16k for me); now at 42k; yeah that filter needed replacement - 2 hrs
yes I did buy the ST1300 filter, so I had to drill the mounting holes.
plugs are 24k in mileage as well; went back with the same plugs (if it aint broke dont make it broke)

filter:
HiFlo Air Filter for Honda ST 1300 02-12 HFA1923 OEM Replacement 23-1923 Paper

plugs (yes verified as real):
NGK Standard Spark Plugs - Stock #3486 - CR7EH-9 - Threaded Stud

WOW! Great work! Thanks for the photos and write-up!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Started in on front brake pad replacement, and a flush and fill on both sets of brakes and the clutch. Front pad change went well, old pads worn pretty bad, but rotors looked fine. Bike now has 36,979 miles, front pads last changed at 7,435 miles (March ’17), brakes last flushed/bled at 18,631 miles (October ‘18). Bleeding with my newly-purchased MityVac 8000 was going marvelously, until I got to the outer bleeder on the rear caliper. Guess it’s drawing air past the threads, because as soon as I start pumping, it’s already dropping vacuum before I even crack the bleeder open. I have Teflon tape - AT THE FARM. Too far and too late to get it today, so I guess I will make it a 2-day job!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well - the Teflon tape did the trick. Got a better look at the rear brake pads in the daylight, and decided to replace them, as well. Installed inner pad first, then couldn’t get outer pad to slide all the way up in there, despite me making sure both pistons were retracted. A few more unsuccessful attempts, and when I basically laid down to look up in there and insure the retaining spring was properly seated - THAT’S when I discovered there’s THREE pistons on the rear brake!! Had forgotten about that. Easy-peasy once solid metal is outta the way! Siphoned fluid, filled, bled, checked pedal (all ok on third pump). Topped off coolant while side panel was removed to flush & bleed clutch system. Put everything back on. Just gotta test ride later - been showering around off and on all day.

Not all that hard of a job. Cost me the MityVac (~$50), and a few hours of my time. But got to save probably $200 in labor, and have gotten to get a good look at some areas I don’t normally get to check over regularly. And - didn’t have to lie awake at night, wondering how long it’s gonna take the dealer, and how many panels / clips / etc they’re gonna break or scratch and not tell me about ... !!!!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Pads were gettin’ pretty thin ...

Reactions: HansenCTX

·
Registered
652 Posts
My after-service test ride took me 58 miles from home to my favorite sandwich shop. All’s good in the world!!!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeah, Troy - that’s it. All you’ll need for a pad change front & rear is the MV8000, (2) 12oz bottles of DOT4 fluid, 8mm socket, 8mm wrench, 5mm Allen wrench, JIS 4-point screwdriver (~Phillips), and a small dab of silicone grease. Add a 10mm wrench if you bleed clutch. And serious protection from spilled fluid on body panels. I used a WeatherTech slush mat from a F150 atop the shelter and wedged under the handlebars.

·
Registered
680 Posts
so this happened

using

Plastic Bonder
by J-B Weld

·
Registered
652 Posts
Got out for a little 446-mile jaunt today. Probably my last long ride until after our harvest season is over. Should start cutting milo in 10 days to 2 weeks. Trying to finish wearing out my Michelin Commander II so that I can get the new Shinko 009 mounted before the Meetup in the Mountains in Virginia this coming September.

Rode mostly through the south Texas brush country. Snapped a couple pics along the way.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Just got around to posting this but thought it was funny. Rode home from Branson Thur under beautiful big puffy clouds and blue skies. I did all two lanes home thru farm country of South Central MO. Lots of elevation changes and curves. But this vehicle was in the motel lot at the GWRRA Rally. Hope it wasn’t a vendor. Ride safe all.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I never have been fond of those push pin style fasteners used on the battery cover plastic and the right side plastic. Found these at a auto parts store and replaced all of mine. I did have to trim the point off the one on the left side in front of the cubby hole storage. They have a Phillips head screw vs the push in

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I never have been fond of those push pin style fasteners used on the battery cover plastic and the right side plastic. Found these at a auto parts store and replaced all of mine. I did have to trim the point off the one on the left side in front of the cubby hole storage. They have a Phillips head screw vs the push in View attachment 46913 View attachment 46914
I like those. I’ll have to check them out.
Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: HansenCTX

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Well, I think I’m getting this retirement thing down.
My LW (lovely wife) came down stairs this morning and I told her about the super sale I found on Duluth Trading. They had $10 off on underwear. So I ordered a pair to be picked up in St Charles MO. Only way to get free shipping. But in order to save $$ I needed to take the bike to pick up the underwear. The Duluth Trading store is near highway 94 in St Charles County. So one thing led to another. I ended up on 94 riding up along the Mississippi River. Well since I was money ahead I jumped on the Golden Eagle Ferry over to Illinois. Then the free Brussels ferry across the Illinois River. Then down the river road to Grafton IL. That was after a stop at Pierre Marquette State Park above Grafton. Cool park. Amazing lodge, restaurant has great fried chicken. Then down the River Road to Alton across this beautiful bridge and back on to 94 and over towards Duluth Trading. Saved $10 on the underwear!!

Haha!! I got lucky on storms too. I could see a lot of storms around me, but only got sprinkled on once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3561 - 3580 of 3586 Posts