CTX 1300 Forum banner
3601 - 3620 of 3634 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Just a short ride yesterday into town. Bland Volunteer Fire Dept put on a pretty good 20 min fireworks display, not bad for a small town. Then after it, a well off homeowner who lives next to the same park set off his own 15 min display. The two do this every year. The Grip Puppies I installed worked pretty good. It had been a while since I rode at night, I forgot how good the headlight is on high beam.
Today I took the Puppies for a little workout. Hit I-44 west first off running about 75 to Lebanon MO. Not bad, I feel I can control the roll on a bit better and not be as lets say jumpy. They may actually work similar to those replacement throttle cams smoothing things out. Back roads home from there following the GPS. Actually found a 180 degree U turn on Hwy V I think it was. Overall I am pleased with the Puppies. EXCEPT my left thumb had an Authur Itis attack, I think from wider spread when gripping. But I like them and I'm sure the thumb will survive.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
My daughter rented a house on Dauphin Island Alabama for the week and invited me down. I left about 8:30 am today (Sun) with crappy rainy looking sky all around. Started with the rain suit on and it worked well. Not a drop till I approached Jackson MS where I’m overnighting 😂 Right at 560 miles all two lane. I will say MS has a stretch of Hwy 49 south of Clarksdale that has regular speed bumps every 75-100 ft. At least it felt that way.
Stay safe all.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Made it into Dauphin Island after six hours of constant rain. But I did learn a few things. The grip puppies I installed work great. The Viking bags I installed worked great also. Nothing wet at all. My older Frog Toggs still kept me dry except around the wrists and ankles. And lastly you can drive thru standing water one foot deep. But ya need real tall boots.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Well, I should have looked at this thread before I left home! I just went through Bland Mo! Looking for Stlburd2. Now is see he’s out East, Riding.
Having lunch at Subway in Owensville MO. Maybe next time Stlburd2. Ha
Ended up with 160 mile day. Really like the new seat and backrest! Pic from Subway in Owensville. I was there. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Made it home from Dauphine Island AL yesterday. Broke it down over two days leaving Thurs morning. First day was really good riding about half two lane and half I-55 north to West Memphis Arkansas. One light sprinkle early on but dry sunny and up to 92 degrees meant more frequent stops for water. Made one big ass terrible mistake by prepaying a non-refundable room at a Econo Lodge in W. Memphis from a rest stop 40 miles out. What a hole. I already bitched to Choice Hotels about fraud/false advertising this morning. Their online pictures are completely bogus or 20 yrs old. We will see what they do. Friday's ride started off great. High overcast clouds, good roads and 80 degrees. Till Thayer MO. I needed gas and could see the rain ahead. No rain suit at the time and you could smell the rain coming. One mile from the gas station it cut loose with a pretty good downpour. The temp drop had the windscreen/helmet visor/glasses all fogged up at the same time but I made it safely to the station canopy. About that time the thunder, lightening and tornado warning all started together. Heavy rain while suiting up in rain gear and a snack and gas. After about 30 min it blew away and I had a uneventful ride home. Avoiding Thayer whenever possible in the future.😊 Safe travels all.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Went to the International Motorcycle Show at Sonoma Raceway. Everything was outdoors, unlike previous events. Harley, Indian, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM, Zero, and Royal Enfield had demo bikes available for test ride. Honda wasn't there, a major bummer. I wanted to demo the new Rebel🙁 I had several riders check out my CTX1300. Food and beverages could only be purchased with credit cards. No cash accepted except at raceway restraunt stand.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
A friend of mine who drove the big red/black Honda tractor trailer bringing demo bikes everywhere just retired. The trucking company he worked for, and contracted Honda’s work, sold out to a larger company. According to him the entire demo program along with major displays will be a mess till they sort out who’s doing what. Supposedly local Honda dealers were told to make bikes available for demos.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
650 miles the last two days. Went down to table rock lake to visit my brother. 94 today. Just 92 yesterday. Whew almost too hot. I try to stay off the interstates. Then the trip takes longer. In this heat it was a wash. ..
Went by Monett Missouri to see this mural on the way down. Pretty cool in my book. (Old silo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I think this is the thread I first posted my installing Viking Bags on my bike. After a trip with a lot of rain the bags didn’t leak a drop but one lock quit locking. They have a one year warranty. I contacted Viking and after sending them a short video of me slamming it shut and not locking they proposed to replace BOTH bags and sent a return shipping label. I thought that was pretty good offer but didn’t really want to go thru the whole mounting process again. Fooling with the lock and a little lithium grease got it working like a champ again. So I tell Viking. They said fine they would hold off shipping new cases and see if it continues working. They say I’m good till 2/2022 should I want new ones. Not bad customer service.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I finally got to the point where I needed to change out my rear tire. The Michelin Commander II had been on for 7800 miles and I hope the Commander III will last at least as long. I also discovered the bolt that holds the bottom of the right shock on was missing. Have no idea when it came off. Replaced the bolt and added some thread locker to both sides.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
After selling raffle tickets at the Phelps County Fair Rolla MO last Thur/Fri/Sat I was ready for a ride Sun. Just as I walk into the garage it’s thunder then rain. So it got put off till today. But boy it was hot and humid. So only 41 miles but went by what is said to be one of the top three largest hay fields in MO. The Rolla National Airport. The ONLY regular flight in/out is a FedEx plane. But it is big. The light is still in use. A short but enjoyable ride. Stay safe all.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have recently changed jobs and now ride the beast to work and back everyday. I have some interesting moments guiding the big girl in the traffic but enjoy the ride anyway. Just a little video of one such ride with a few incidents that prove you should always concentrate and be aware of surroundings.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Got in a ride to Eureka Springs AR with a group of GoldWing buddies from the St. Louis area on Friday. Two GL trikes 3GL and my little CTX. 282 getting there with about 15-20 min of rain. Then Sat did a big loop of 239 miles. They have some challenging roads in AR. Also started using the free “Relive” app on my phone. Kinda neat and my kids enjoy seeing where I’ve been. Head home Sun. Stay safe all

3601 - 3620 of 3634 Posts