CTX 1300 Forum banner
3781 - 3800 of 3811 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Got in a 60 mile round trip to my favorite dealer. After the bike was there for 35 days fixing the water pump leak I forgot to have em do the MO safety inspection to renew the plates. So got that done then DMV for plate renewal. ONLY THEN do I realize that after 8 yrs of ownership it’s titled in my name with TOD (transfer on death) back to ME. Duh. Of course they can’t change anything without having the title present. Looks like another reason to ride I guess.
I’m almost ready to head to CO.
Ride safe all

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Got in a 60 mile round trip to my favorite dealer. After the bike was there for 35 days fixing the water pump leak I forgot to have em do the MO safety inspection to renew the plates. So got that done then DMV for plate renewal. ONLY THEN do I realize that after 8 yrs of ownership it’s titled in my name with TOD (transfer on death) back to ME. Duh. Of course they can’t change anything without having the title present. Looks like another reason to ride I guess.
I’m almost ready to head to CO.
Ride safe all
I guess your subconscious was trying to get the bike buried with you?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is where we went, it was 197..

Dropped pin

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Ok. I didn't know that it was called "hawks nest". The rest Of NC197 was better than the upper switchbacks. I couldn't keep any speed through them. Did you ride NC197 north of Burnsville? It was good too. Connected to 226, 226A, and 80 headed back to Spruce Pine. There is a Hawks Nest Snow Tubing and Zipline west of Boone, NC on NC105. It has some good switchbacks and curves going up to it also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you turn east on 19E, NC80 continues a short distance down 19E. It is a good ride too. The gravel was smoother than some of the pavement in the area. The fresh pavement on 80 heading up to the BRP was really nice.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
After only 35 days in the shop my coolant leak from the water pump housing is fixed. The majority of that time it sat waiting on a front cover gasket. So if you notice coolant from that drain hose (or oil) order your parts well ahead of time BEFORE ya tear it apart. Mid MO has storms/showers off and on all day but I made it into the garage with two min to spare. But it was windy. Stay safe all. View attachment 47826
View attachment 47825
Glad you got it fixed. If I ever see the leak, I’ll be in touch. Hopefully the fix wasn’t too painful. Still got to be way cheaper than a new bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
84 Posts
My son, who has never ridden a motorcycle before, decided to buy a Kawasaki K400. I took him on a 2 1/2 hour ride thru the winding back roads of northern Pittsburgh. I started off behind him, to see what pointers I could give, he then followed me, as he had no idea where we were going. it was a perfect upper 60's day, sunny and not humid...aka, the perfect afternoon to ride. It was the perfect father/son day, and his, and my own excitement, were visible on our faces, mine for several days.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
$402 but that included changing all fluids except the fork oil.
Not bad at all. My imagination had it in the thousands.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Left Monday for the Western Meetup. First night in Buhler KS at a buddy’s house. His wife makes spectacular cheese cake w/strawberries.Today I made it to Pueblo CO. On to Cortez CO in the morning. One thing I found plenty of in KS, non stop wind. No wonder there is a wind farm stretching a good 8-10 miles if not more on Hwy 50.
Stay safe all.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
My Avon Spirit ST tire arrived yesterday afternoon. Installed it in a friends garage during a heavy rain storm.
That was perfect timing because I got the chance to try it out on wet roads. MAN, What A Difference! I know, all new tires feel better than the old worn out tire you just removed, but this was different. Some new tires need a little breaking in because they're a little slick at first. Not the Avon. It stuck to the road and the handling is great. I found myself oversteering at first because the steering is so much more responsive.
It was 3.5 miles to home, but kept on going to enjoy the ride. I'm riding a little today, delaying changing the front tire just to enjoy the Avon a little longer.
Lesson learned, a cheap tire can ruin the handling of any bike. There's no substitute for a quality tire.
And @HansenCTX, Spirit is stamped in the chicken strip so you can wear it off.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Last night was the front tire change. My current tire is an Excedra Max with 17,200 miles and just down to the wear bars. It's held up well so I stayed with that tire. I thought it would be easier to change than the rear, less fussin' and cussin'. But the nightmare came back as I remembered what it was like changing the last time, with help. Had a hard time slipping the tire over that little ridge behind the bead. You know, the one there for redundancy to keep the bead against the rim? It was a real pain in My redundancy!
I'm like Danny Glover's character in Lethal Weapon. "I'm getting too old for this sh..." If there is a next time, I'll buy a tire changing stand with a bead breaker. If I have to shell out money to get a tire changed, I'd rather spend it on the tools than a mechanic. There's something to show for the expense and the next time is free. And it saves time driving to a shop and waiting.

All cleaned up, ready to ride and I hear this beating on the fender. What Now!! There were only two calipers and an axle bolt to put back. The adhesive from the tire sticker was picking up stones in the drive and slinging them against the fender.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Got 500 miles in over the last few days. Fun roads down in southern MO and northern AR. I’ll say one thing, I need to get in better shape. 250 miles of twisty hilly roads and I was tired when I got home. It used to not wear me out at all. Just getting old I guess. But I used to think I wouldn’t be slowing down at 67.

3781 - 3800 of 3811 Posts