CTX 1300 Forum banner
3801 - 3820 of 3867 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,100 Posts
I'm now the same age and am finding the same thing. Several years ago, just after I bought my CTX, I rode 660 miles to a camp event in one day and wanted to keep going if not for having to set up a tent before sunset. Now I get tired going anything over 400 miles and I can now see that after a few more years I'll have to limit my day to 300 miles.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Left Cortez CO and the SW Meetup Sunday morning. Got in 424 miles dodging rain clouds and arguing about it with Ms GPS. Landed in Kit Carson City (smaller that Bland I think) without getting wet. Took off this morning and got in 432 to Topeka KS again a dry day. Yippeeeeeeeeee
Dry is nice. EVERY time we leave for a trip across US58 in Virginia, it pours and we grab the first hotel. Once we just made the hotel before the sky opened and I told the clerk, I get cranky when my diaper gets wet. She got a kick outta that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got home today about 2:30 from the SW Meetup in Cortez CO. Great time. 3109 round trip including three days of riding there. Now to clean the 4739 bugs off the bike. Check the SW Meetup thread for pics.
Ride safe all.
Sounds like you had a great trip Stan. Bugs are better than rain. You have had your share of rain coming and going from several past "Meetups".

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
My Granddaughter and Ex Son in law invited me to take a weekend ride with them. We left Fri evening and overnighted in Iowa City/Coralville. 301 from my home. This morning we hit a pretty cool car museum in Coralville. Then on to J&P Cycles motorcycle museum. Granddaughter started both days with Dad on his FJR1300 but by first stop of the day she wanted the cushier Diamond Custom on my CTX. Overnight in Burlington after a short run into IL and back.
Head for home tomorrow.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Fuel tank

Smile Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
6,100 Posts
So J&P Cycles AND the Nat. Motorcycle Museum? Been to both when the museum was in its previous old building. But it's been many years ago. I do still meet up with the ST-Owners group for a RTE at Scooters Bar & Grill just south of Anamosa every year... usually on the last day of February. Well, every year I can ride there ;)

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Cleaned up the bare plastics on the bike. Some along the sides in front of the seat was starting to get that chalky white color.
Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Plant Grass

This Dragon Skin did a good job.
Covered the handlebar controls and the dash, speaker grills, etc, etc. The side panels match my black fog lights now. But my bug collection took a big loss.
I should do this more often to protect all this plastic from the sun. It's a shame, the engine will last longer than all this ABS, even if you keep it treated.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bottle Car

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
So J&P Cycles AND the Nat. Motorcycle Museum? Been to both when the museum was in its previous old building. But it's been many years ago. I do still meet up with the ST-Owners group for a RTE at Scooters Bar & Grill just south of Anamosa every year... usually on the last day of February. Well, every year I can ride there ;)
I was thinking J&P owned the Nat M/C Museum. But I could be mistaken. I’m old ya know. 😂 The car museum was in Iowa City/Coralville. Forgot it’s name. We actually were going to do Mt Home Arkansas but the weather looked dicey so we went North. Last night it was Burlington. Swung into IL on the way home. But didn’t stay long as gas was close to $.75-$1.00 more per gal. 676 for them round trip to St Charles MO 819 for me round trip to beautiful Bland MO. And only the slightest sprinkle of rain today. Hardly worth mentioning.
Do have a question though. The other bike a FJR1300 kept loosing his trip mileage and stuff from the bike display when he shut it off. Any ideas on why?
Stay safe all.

·
Super Moderator
6,100 Posts
I was thinking J&P owned the Nat M/C Museum. But I could be mistaken. I’m old ya know. 😂 The car museum was in Iowa City/Coralville. Forgot it’s name. We actually were going to do Mt Home Arkansas but the weather looked dicey so we went North. Last night it was Burlington. Swung into IL on the way home. But didn’t stay long as gas was close to $.75-$1.00 more per gal. 676 for them round trip to St Charles MO 819 for me round trip to beautiful Bland MO. And only the slightest sprinkle of rain today. Hardly worth mentioning.
Do have a question though. The other bike a FJR1300 kept loosing his trip mileage and stuff from the bike display when he shut it off. Any ideas on why?
Stay safe all.
They are not under the same ownership but just happen to be in the same area. There was rumor some time ago that the J&P was going to close that location but I guess that hasn't happened... yet.

No idea about the FJR problem. Sounds like a defective meter cluster issue for that function. Odometer still shows right?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
They are not under the same ownership but just happen to be in the same area. There was rumor some time ago that the J&P was going to close that location but I guess that hasn't happened... yet.

No idea about the FJR problem. Sounds like a defective meter cluster issue for that function. Odometer still shows right?
It could be an electrical problem. The power is dropping out and allowing the trip meter to reset. This can happen to some meters when the battery is disconnected, resetting the trip odometer and clock.
The main trip odometer won't reset by power loss, nonvolatile memory.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Since we got back home from 6 weeks of camping in NC I've been planning my trip back on the bike this time. Order a new front bridgestone to put on as the old one was a 2017 the PO put on. Was planning on taking to the shop with wheel for a swap, but motorcycle wrenching must be a good business to be in these days as two week wait for an appointment. A couple of 2x4 on the floor with a big C clamp and spoons and just did it myself. Being the " I can get this done like I used to but now old guy and perfectionist" I turn the tire around the wheel until I found a match for 1/2 oz of lead, and got it back on the bike. Might try the balance beads next time, but like getting the carcass wt to wheel wt close as possible and I'm sure the shop would have just put the dot on the stem which meant 1 1/2 oz of lead wt.
Now I admit my old back and knees are sore but its done. Took it out for a scrub and it's perfectly smooth at highway.

Can't wait to get back to the BRP with the bike this time.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Since we got back home from 6 weeks of camping in NC I've been planning my trip back on the bike this time. Order a new front bridgestone to put on as the old one was a 2017 the PO put on. Was planning on taking to the shop with wheel for a swap, but motorcycle wrenching must be a good business to be in these days as two week wait for an appointment. A couple of 2x4 on the floor with a big C clamp and spoons and just did it myself. Being the " I can get this done like I used to but now old guy and perfectionist" I turn the tire around the wheel until I found a match for 1/2 oz of lead, and got it back on the bike. Might try the balance beads next time, but like getting the carcass wt to wheel wt close as possible and I'm sure the shop would have just put the dot on the stem which meant 1 1/2 oz of lead wt.
Now I admit my old back and knees are sore but its done. Took it out for a scrub and it's perfectly smooth at highway.

Can't wait to get back to the BRP with the bike this time.
I line up the white dot and use Ride-On tire sealer/balancer. It's like the green tire Slime but isn't corrosive. AND it doesn't make a mess like Slime. Stays on the tire when you take it off. It has done a good job of keeping two sets of tires balanced but the sealing part, not so good. I've had a couple of small nail holes and they still leaked. Slime does a better job of sealing punctures.

3801 - 3820 of 3867 Posts