CTX 1300 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Continuing my travels to my son's house after a few days off to mow the lawn and other work at home. Was time to fill the tank after 184 miles. It ended up that I had almost a gallon left when the last bar showed solid but the little gas pump symbol was flashing. That's what I've learned about this bike. When the last bar starts flashing then there is half that, or near a half gallon, left. I had reset one of the trip meters before I went out today and just before I arrived back home the mpg showing on the LCD panel indicated 61.3 mpg. That panel indicator is always off but I was inclined to believe it this time. With the temp starting out about 84F on the way there and 91F on the way home I knew the mpg would be better than usual. This engine does so much better in hot weather... just like the CTX1300/ST1300 engine. I put 2.97 gallons in the tank so I really did have almost a gallon left. It's a 3.9 gallon tank. I calculated that the mpg for the entire 184 miles since last fill up worked out to 61.9 mpg. So the computer was right on but only for this trip. I remember seeing that before I reset the trip meter it was showing just over 57 mpg for the last 278 miles before today, so today was likely closer to 63 mpg just for this trip. There are 2 average mpg displays on this bike, one for each trip meter.

Oh, today I rode 48 miles round trip for a total of 326 miles since I started the basement finish project.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts

Chill ride through the Maryland farmland loping along in 6th and 7th gear between 40 and 50 MPH. Note I didn't say chug as the big 6 would never do anything so unseemly as chug along :smiley-happy0034:. Then it's sport mode for the Interstate ride back dodging the trucks and cagers. The cool thing about cruise control in sport mode is that it will hold a 65 MPH cruise in 7th gear. But as soon as you need to make a move and you hit the throttle it automatically drops into 6th and off you go. Roll back out of the throttle and it resumes cruise and shifts back up into 7th. I never thought I would like the tech. But I do. :520:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
My son in law dropped off his 85 cb700sc for me to take to my favorite dealer for some service and tires. This thing has a 110/90-16” front and 130/90-16” rear. Looking online I’ve only found one matched set front/rear from any mfg. That was Pirelli. I was looking at Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit sites. Ideas anyone?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
My son in law dropped off his 85 cb700sc for me to take to my favorite dealer for some service and tires. This thing has a 110/90-16” front and 130/90-16” rear. Looking online I’ve only found one matched set front/rear from any mfg. That was Pirelli. I was looking at Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit sites. Ideas anyone?
Whoa I lusted after one of those like nobody's business way back as a poor college student. Shaft drive and hydraulic valves. Tariff fighting 700CC. What a great bike :smileygarden_de_ban

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
When my son in law first started riding he purchased a CM400A (I think it was) a twin with a auto trans for $400. Rode that two years and was looking for something a little bigger. I found this one in Indiana on Craigslist. The owner said it was too much bike for him and he was looking for a CM400A. Ding ding ding. After two calls we trailer the son's to Terre Haute meeting at a McDonalds just off the interstate. He did the same. After they each test rode each others bikes they swapped even up completing the paperwork as I ate. I thought it was a great deal.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
When my son in law first started riding he purchased a CM400A (I think it was) a twin with a auto trans for $400. Rode that two years and was looking for something a little bigger. I found this one in Indiana on Craigslist. The owner said it was too much bike for him and he was looking for a CM400A. Ding ding ding. After two calls we trailer the son's to Terre Haute meeting at a McDonalds just off the interstate. He did the same. After they each test rode each others bikes they swapped even up completing the paperwork as I ate. I thought it was a great deal.
Econ 101. Why do we need money? Because it eliminates the requirement of a double coincidence of wants that limits the progress available to cavemen. Nice caveman move. :520:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I haven't been around in awhile, but boy do I miss you guys. And as much as I love LOVE my new ride, I miss my CTX. Not that it was better -- it wasn't -- but because it was just co completely awesome. Anyway, I've spent some miles during Coronacation seeking out the strange and wonderful things that are closer to home. Some of you remember when I rode across the US, looking for offbeat roadside attractions. I'm doing that same thing but a little closer to home until things get back to normal(-ish). Yesterday, I stumbled across an article about these UFO-shaped houses that were made in the 1960's. Turns out there are only 57 of them still in existence, and one of them is relatively close to my house. So today I went on a little 150-mile trip just to snap a quick pic of it. I've also taken a picture of another pretty obscure house: the one-time home of Annie Oakley, who lived there for three years before she decided retirement wasn't for her and hit the road again. Also, the Transpeninsular Midpoint, which is just a rock that marks the lower left-hand corner of Delaware and is the beginning of the Mason-Dixon line. And a cool little windmill that's been guarding that field for decades, since I first saw it back in the '80s. Lots of other little weird-quests but these are from the last few weeks. And I would be remiss if I didn't extol the virtues of the 2018 Gold Wing. Holy crap what a great bike. See you 'round!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
2 weeks ago I reported that when I did periodic maintenance on my Burgman 650 I found that one of the pad pins in the rear brake caliper needed to be replaced. The reason for that is the PO of this bike over torqued and rounded out the hex socket head in the pin. This scooter has 2 pad pins holding the brake pads since it is very different than the typical motorcycle brake caliper with only one. The Burgman has a parking brake, or brake lock as they call it, so one of the 2 pistons in the rear brake caliper is for that while the other is for normal braking (the front has dual disks with 2 pistons each). Because of the brake lock mechanics on the caliper it has to be removed from the disk to do a pad change and then the brake lock gets adjusted after the job is done. Another odd difference in this caliper is that the pins must be loosened first by reaching through the wheel from the opposite side. This is fine for one pin but the other pin is not a straight shot to access it.

This weekend I tackled fixing the problem with that pin. When I noticed the issue 2 weeks ago I ordered a pair of new pins from the dealer and those came in last week. I spent all morning Saturday failing to get that pin out. No way to do so while the caliper was still mounted on the disk so I removed it but no amount of penetrating oil or cutting a slot or other ideas worked to even get it to budge. I didn't have a bolt extractor so off to Lowe's to get a set of bits. Drilling the end of the pad pin was the easy part, but with the caliper off the bike I couldn't get enough force with the bit in my drill to get the extractor to work the pin out. Finally I got the bright idea to make use of a large pipe wrench that I inherited from my Grandfather in law. That would definitely hold the caliper body firmly enough to get enough force to turn out the pin. With the extractor bit in my large ratcheting socket wrench turning on the pin and the caliper being held very firmly by the pipe wrench the pin finally came out.

I finished the brake pad replacement job using the normal procedure except that I used the pipe wrench to hold the caliper to put the final torque on the pins before mounting it on the disk. That worked out really well actually. Typical motorcycle brake pads have a notch in the end that shows end of usable wear material that is about 1 mm (cars and especially trucks have a lot thicker notch). I still had 2 mm pad material left at the thinnest part (double the thickness of the notch). I figured close enough to replace while was working on them.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
My sentiments exactly.
Hey @Willmarth since we're on the same page so to speak, I've got a question about your windshield. I've got the same one - an f4 shorty, tinted - and I was wondering if you had the same issue as I did. When I received mine, the edges were unfinished. I don't just mean "rough." It's not like they just didn't polish the edge. There were actual saw-marks, big ones, all the way around. I had the choice of contacting them, sending it back, waiting for the new one or... I could whip out the sandpaper and fix it myself. I was very careful not to touch the front or back, and I started with 100 grit then 220 then 1000 then 2000 with water and finished it with Plexus polish. It looks perfect now, but it took at least half an hour to fix it, and it was irritating enough that I'll probably not buy another one. It was pricey, like around $400. Anyway, was yours like that too or was mine just a fluke Friday job?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Anyway, was yours like that too or was mine just a fluke Friday job?
I think my screen is okay buy it's possible I didn't notice so I'll take a look and let you know. I went for a tear on the juvenile delinquent 1000R today and it was a perfectly spent hour break from work on one of the nicest days of the year. Most of the time I'm content to short shift at around 3,500 RPM and I'm in 6th by 40 MPH. Today I opened her up a few times and the sport bike genes came to the fore at 8,000 RPM. That's my self imposed redline though Honda says 10,500. Eight thousand is enough for me and the shriek is diabolical :smileygarden_de_ban

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Hey @Willmarth since we're on the same page so to speak, I've got a question about your windshield. I've got the same one - an f4 shorty, tinted - and I was wondering if you had the same issue as I did. When I received mine, the edges were unfinished. I don't just mean "rough." It's not like they just didn't polish the edge. There were actual saw-marks, big ones, all the way around. I had the choice of contacting them, sending it back, waiting for the new one or... I could whip out the sandpaper and fix it myself. I was very careful not to touch the front or back, and I started with 100 grit then 220 then 1000 then 2000 with water and finished it with Plexus polish. It looks perfect now, but it took at least half an hour to fix it, and it was irritating enough that I'll probably not buy another one. It was pricey, like around $400. Anyway, was yours like that too or was mine just a fluke Friday job?
I took a look at the edges on my F4 screen and they are nice and smooth. As you say they must have dropped the QA ball on yours. I would have done the same thing as you did and sanded them down myself. It's still frustrating though to pay that much money and get a shoddy job. Time to send the F4 guys a copy of Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to remind them of the importance of quality in whatever you do. :smiley-happy0034:

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
Yesterday returned from a motocycle camping trip to Spring Green, WI. This is one of the annual events put on by the ST-Owners forum members (of which I am still one). Been going to this event almost every year since 2010. Lots of great roads to ride in that area and the trip there and back is not bad either since much of it is in the Driftless area that covers south western Wisconsin, north eastern Iowa, north western Illinois, and south eastern Minnesota. This time I didn't ride all days I was there. I arrived on Wednesday and set up camp in the dry. There was threat of rain every day after that but it only rained for a few hours early early Saturday morning (way before I get up, though I did wake up to hear the drops falling on the tarp) and also a little on Saturday for an hour. I rode to Dodgeville, WI on Thursday. Just a short trip to get some camping supplies at the Walmart there. Then on Friday I rode to Baraboo to meet up with the group riders at the Log Cabin restaurant there and took the long way back to the campsite. I intended to take a different long way to get there but there was road construction that slowed me way down so I re-routed the first leg and took up the long path on the return. Saturday was when the biggest threat of rain was expected and I felt like just chilling at the campsite with about half of the group who also hung out. Sunday morning was dry other than a bit of dew but way better than what was forecast. Always a good thing to be able to pack up a dry tent. Altogether this trip 757 miles. The Burgman performed flawlessly and turned in between 57-61 mpg per tank. The lower number was with a headwind.

Oh, was mostly very warm so we did keep our social distance while keeping back from the fire at night since there were fewer attendees than usual.

Linky to photos of the trip

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Well guys trying to get the hand of the new forum? I know I am. Went for a 60 mile Wing DCT ride today and happened to check the MPG out and back. I filled up and reset the B trip meter. The 30 miles out were a leisurely 40-50 MPH stroll through the woods. When I decided to come back on the highway I found that I had averaged 57 MPG. On the way back it was mostly highway at 65+. The 60 mile round trip turned out to be a 47 MPG average which happens to be just about what I've gotten on the bike the past year (6,000 miles) and also happens to be what I used to get on the CTX. Interesting to me and thought you guys might like to know. :confused: This is my I miss the old emojis face.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:confused: This is my I miss the old emojis face.
Don't be a sad sack:)

On a day meander recently I found myself outside an old employer and couldn't resist adding a touch of class:

And even though the only social interaction I get these days is with unattended gas pumps, the miles do accrue (just not as fast:cry:):

Everyone ride safe.

Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
My son (SSR 150) and I (SSR 190) spent two hours practicing riding in the back yard. We created a course with multiple lane options and a few sharp turns. Got some good ruts in!

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Removed the front wheel from my 2013 Burgman 650 and took it in to the Suzuki shop to get new rubber put on. Then installed the front wheel after.
Here is the old rubber. As you can see it really did need to be replaced. This was after 10971 miles. Only was able to put just over 6000 miles on the rear before it required replacing.

And here is the new rubber. Hope to get close to the same miles out of this. It's a Shinko SR567.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Visited Paso del Stelvio, with car, gf and dog. Fully loaded to the brim.
Great great road.
Will have to come back on CTX
PS. There are 2 hidden gems around
1) Umbrail pass from Stelvio to Switzerland
2) Oasso Gavio e.g. road SP29 leading from Bormio to Pezzo.
IMG_20200901_111359_901.jpg
IMG_20200901_110216_040.jpg
IMG_20200901_110122_741.jpg

221 - 240 of 241 Posts