CTX 1300 Forum banner

241 - 255 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My day yesterday started off with a 130 mile round trip ride for lunch on the CTX, but since this is about what we did to our other bikes I'll move on.
Anyway, I replaced the throttle tube on my 2015 Yamaha FZ07 with the throttle tube for a Yamaha YZFR6. It allows the throttle to fully open with much less twist of the grip, which is important to me since I broke my wrists a few years back. I don't know why I didn't do this mod years ago. It makes the little FZ07 much more rideable for me.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Took my new dirt bike to some local trails. Had a little problem loading it in the pickup but with a little work we got it to fit.
Just thought I’d start your day off with a smile.
ride safe all.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Saw that someplace awoke back!!! No chock needed!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Finally got my son in laws bike back from my favorite shop. New Pirelli tires, rebuild clutch master cyl, went thru all four carbs and sync, repaired rear turn signal stalk, repaired hand brake stop light switch, oil & filter, air filter and state safety insp.
Rode it home and I can report my body likes the CTX much better. 🤣

·
Registered
576 Posts
Let me know when he gets tired of it ... !!!

Always liked the Nighthawk S - especially in the Red/White/Blue paint scheme.

·
Super Moderator
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
WELLLLLL, it happened again.
About 12-13 years ago I rode my Burgman 650 in heavy snow that ended up as a thick layer of very wet slush on the roads on my way home from work. The day was supposed to be clear and too warm for snow or ice, nice enough for riding with temps near 40F. But when I left from work the temps had dropped below 37F and big snow flakes had started to fall.

Today I had taken my newer Burgman 650 to my son's house about 23 miles north of my home. Temps were forecast to stay around 42 until later tonight. Snow was also expected after sunset tonight so I figured it would be no problem. I left my son's house to head home about 1:40 after my wife called to say it had already started to snow very lightly. More spitting really. When I left there the temp was still around 44F with no snow at my son's house even though it had started farther south at my house. A little more than half way home the snow started in earnest with larger flakes and the pavement was more than just wet and starting to show signs that it would accumulate and get slick. The temp by then had dropped to 35F... and then to 34F by the time I arrived home safely. My home street was partially white with accumulated snow and my driveway was, well you can see in the photos below.

Kind of fun riding in this stuff, but at the same time nerve wracking wondering just how much traction I really have. The Shinko tires I current have on the Burgman don't do well on wet pavement (UNLIKE the Shinko tires I had on my CTX1300!). I just went a lot slower around turns and curves and got though them fine. A few times I could tell I was just about to loose traction but the tires held on.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks pretty, but - NO THANK YOU !!

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
Well, continuing to ride when I can. That big snow storm that is all over the news hitting the NE USA hit here first. I always wonder at broadcast news for not saying much if anything about when we get hit by a big storm but it's a major event when even a lesser storm hits NYC. Anyway, we did have major snow last weekend. Most roads around my home were cleared quickly but where I've been riding to my son's house to work on his basement finish project (yep, that's still going on) the roads don't get cleared as well... at least on his street. Roads were cleared by Sunday until I get to his neighborhood, which is a new development within the last 2 years, where there is still some ice and snow on the street. My son's house is second house from the end of the street and the plows stopped right at his driveway. I also need to teach my son to move his cars and clear the snow that they are sitting on. Right now half his driveway, where the cars are parked, is packed snow/ice but the rest is cleared other than a narrow ribbon of ice running across the front of every driveway everywhere. Yesterday was the coldest day of this season so far yet the roads were passable on 2 wheels so I rode the Burgman to his house. The temp in the morning was 21 F most of the way there (23 miles one way). Confirmed on my bike temp sensor as well as a few bank signs along the way. We don't expect temps to get UP TO freezing until next weekend. On my way home the temps actually fell to 18 F. I left my son's house, which is NE of mine, with the temp showing to be 25 but within the next 10 miles it had dropped 7 deg F. Well, it was right at sunset after all. I still enjoy the route I take to go up there and back. All side roads or county roads... avoiding the crazy idiots on the super slab. Very little traffic even during the evening "rush hour" time frame. Not fast speed limits with some parts out in the country but I'm just happy to be still out riding during this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Didn't ride the last few days due to first a snow storm that left some accumulation on the roads, but did ride today. Still riding to my son's house and today the temps were 29F on the way up and 36F on the way home. Another 46 miles round trip with several hours working on drywall in between.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
WELLLLLL, it happened again.
About 12-13 years ago I rode my Burgman 650 in heavy snow that ended up as a thick layer of very wet slush on the roads on my way home from work. The day was supposed to be clear and too warm for snow or ice, nice enough for riding with temps near 40F. But when I left from work the temps had dropped below 37F and big snow flakes had started to fall.

Today I had taken my newer Burgman 650 to my son's house about 23 miles north of my home. Temps were forecast to stay around 42 until later tonight. Snow was also expected after sunset tonight so I figured it would be no problem. I left my son's house to head home about 1:40 after my wife called to say it had already started to snow very lightly. More spitting really. When I left there the temp was still around 44F with no snow at my son's house even though it had started farther south at my house. A little more than half way home the snow started in earnest with larger flakes and the pavement was more than just wet and starting to show signs that it would accumulate and get slick. The temp by then had dropped to 35F... and then to 34F by the time I arrived home safely. My home street was partially white with accumulated snow and my driveway was, well you can see in the photos below.

Kind of fun riding in this stuff, but at the same time nerve wracking wondering just how much traction I really have. The Shinko tires I current have on the Burgman don't do well on wet pavement (UNLIKE the Shinko tires I had on my CTX1300!). I just went a lot slower around turns and curves and got though them fine. A few times I could tell I was just about to loose traction but the tires held on.
Brave man Bob. Five decades ago as a teenager my friends and I loved riding our dirt bikes in the snow. Wouldn't think of it now on the street. Glad you made it home in one piece. Old bones take longer to heal.

·
Super Moderator
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
WELLLL, I wanted to ride today but I couldn't ride today. I wasn't even able to drive the car anywhere. Ok, I TRIED to drive the car but that didn't work for very far. Thing is it was drizzling when I looked out and it was wet everywhere. But it only LOOKED wet. Temp was at 27F and is only going to get up to 31F today. I stepped on my driveway and my foot had no traction. A solid sheet of smooth ice. Maybe the street was better. I gingerly backed the car out. So far, so good since it didn't go sliding down the gentle slope of the driveway. Then I stepped on the gas just a little to start moving forward up the street and the car did a little shimmy side to side on the way but it still did go as long as I was VERY slow about it. The main roads just had to be better... NOT! Everyone was going slow, even the 4 wheel drive vehicles, which is very not the norm even in this weather. I pass over the Interstate and see a bus at the exit ramp just where it splits from the main highway and something's not right there. The bus is in that in-between zone, turned around facing the wrong way, with police and an ambulance with their lights flashing, on the Interstate. I'm still only attempting to go maybe 8 mph in a 40 mph zone and thinking "this is stupid." So I find a place to turn around and slowly make my way back home. I crawl down my street at about walking speed and turn up my driveway hoping I don't just slide straight across into the lawn but just then the drizzle turns to sleet and there is now JUST enough grip to slowly creep into my garage again. Whew! NOT going anywhere on or in anything today!

Good thing I didn't just assume it was wet and take the bike. I would have laid it down before it was half out of the garage and have no traction to pick it up again. Of course, in this season, with these temps and those conditions noted I always double check if that is even wise to attempt on the bike. I was just hoping for better street conditions for getting where I wanted to go in the car. Will have to wait for another day. Don't care about the temp, just give me a clear dry path to ride on 2 wheels.

·
Super Moderator
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Did nothing with my bike today. But I did THINK about it... for an instant...
Who says we don't get much snow in central Iowa. I know we don't get "Lake effect" snow which is why some places get many feet in one storm, but without the "Lake" this is a significant snow just the same. This was this morning. Radar shows more on the way.

That 20 inch drift was all the way across the front of the house and driveway.

241 - 255 of 255 Posts