CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean that the engine "clunks" on acceleration / deceleration above 50?

Hi,

There are not many gripes about this bike (other than the mirror position). But one of them is that the engine clunks on accelleration / decelleration above 50 MPH.

What does this mean exactly? I imagine it almost feel like the engine is out of gear and thwomps into gear. But I would love some elaboration.

Thanks so much!

:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
This engine its tuned unlike anything I've ridden. I'm not sure what they are referring too, but even the idle sounds unique. It's taken some time to find the right shifting techniques and adapt to the feel and feedback provided. I'm at a point now where I'm melding with the machine and muscle memory does more than I do. It's been an experience of it's own for sure, and the things that once felt unnatural, are normal now...

Not sure about a clunk? ...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe the slack in the drive train? Not an uncommon thing with a shaft driven bike.
If this is what you are describing...you will have to learn techniques to work around having this happen. Sometimes using a little clutch to ease the transition from power off to power on, Trail braking to keep the drive train tight negotiating turns and curves. Here is a excellent case to be made for trail braking. The Brake Light Initiative- A Treatise on Motorcycle Control- Ride Craft: A treatise on bike control, from the author of <em>The Pace</em>.. This is a long read, but if you digest it and get the gist of what the author is trying to get across to you, and you put this technique into practice, you will definitely smooth out your riding experience.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Drive shaft clunk is common but I haven't noticed it on the CTX but once in 10 months. On my V-star it was aggravating to me but others paid it no mind. Nature of the system, just some riders are more aware of it on some than others.
Riders coming from belt drive will probably be more aware than others.

Reactions: JBone

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Can also be harder to change gears smoothly given the position of the gear shifter, if you have big feet like me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Went by the Victory dealer awhile back when I was shopping for a new bike. Timed it when they were having demo rides. I rode the "Cross Country". Man...talk about drive line slack...whack!! 'bout twice as bad as the CTX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts