CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recent events have resulted in many close inspections of this motorcycle. I noticed two grills, one to the left and one to the right of the tail light. Haven't heard or read anything about them, but I'm thinking they might channel engine heat to the back of the bike.

What do you guys think? :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
My guess would be either channeling engine heat, or ventilation to keep exhaust heat off rider and passenger.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
maybe filler inserts for a future turbo jet boost option? :)

More likely simply vents to allow engine heat to escape from under the seat and around the tank since those areas are covered. Possibly also to improve air flow for better mpg and also blow away exhaust. Or maybe just a decorative detail for the rear end appearance.

How's that for being definitive and combining all the ideas? :)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe what we need is a passenger holding both hands over the vents while in motion? Or tie a streamer and wait for the fan to kick on?

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is a rubber curtain right behind the upper portion of the fan (the lower being obscured by the engine body itself); another rubber blanket on the engine, separating the trottle bodies from everything below (alternator, thermostat etc.) and yet another one on the fuel tank which itself sits behind the engine, in the way of any presumed airflow.

I don't think any air can go from the engine all the way to under the seat :) I'd say those vents are either decorative only or serve the purpose of cooling down the rear combination light.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
OK, I'm done humoring you people and your totally off-base and foolish ideas. They're obviously part of the cooling system for the flux capacitor that's coming in a future model.

Sheesh.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Maybe vents to allow gasoline fumes escape since the fuel tank is under the seat?

Eric

Reactions: Hondapotamus

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Then this would be the first bike I've known of that HAS gas fumes that need venting. I still think there is some venting happening though. There is just enough passage past the sides of the tank to allow a little airflow from front to back. There is also the BT control module on the left side under the seat & side cowl that may need a bit of simple cooling.

·
Registered
446 Posts
All Japanese bikes have a breather hose for that purpose. On California models, that hose goes into an activated charcoal canister -- on the rest, it vents to the atmosphere somewhere in the lower part of the frame.

On the CTX1300, that hose begins at the front upper right corner of the tank, then turns around a guide on the rear right corner of the airbox and goes down to a frame crossmember. Follows the cross member right to left and arrives near the cap of the coolant reserve tank where it connects to a plastic piece that, in turn, connects it to a larger diameter hose. This second hose travels downwards along the inside face of the left peg stay (big silver or black piece of metal on which the footpegs bolt to) and ends (on non-California models) about 3" behind the hinge of the sidestand, pointing downwards.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think they get dusty and are a pain in the butt to clean....:)

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I think they get dusty and are a pain in the butt to clean....:)
So true. I can't figure out how to clean them properly without using a cotton swab. The last time they were clean was just after I got caught in a torrential downpour with horizontal rain--Mother Nature's pressure washer. I don't recommend that cleaning method! :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
They look like a cool place for some red LEDs.

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
502 Posts
Looks like a great place to add additional turn and/or brake lights!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can imagine the designers at Honda laughing their heads off. "Lets put what looks like vents next to the tail light so the Americans will wonder what they are for."
The best way to clean them is compressed air.

Reactions: Hondapotamus

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
It's to allow air pressure to escape when closing the fuel door. You'd otherwise never be able to shut it due to the back pressure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts