CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I bought a battery tender for the bike after a long ride this afternoon. I got home and decided to look for any battery tender leads the dealer may have installed prior to me purchasing....sure would be nice to not have to install the leads. I found one wire in particular that was folded up under the seat, secured and wrapped with electrical tape. I was sure I had found my leads!! However, after unwrapping the cable, and unplugging the blank end plug, it does not match the male end of the battery tender. I'm not exactly sure what this wire is for at this point. Any ideas??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
That is the factory provided 10 amp 12v socket plug for the Honda 12v socket option (The option socket mounts in the space inside the plastic "cheek" behind the right shock strut). I used that connector for my own $5 12v socket from Wally World that I placed in the right panier. See details HERE. I have info there also for the correct pins and seals to use in the dummy plug so I can use it. That connector runs through the factory fuse block with a 10 amp fuse provided. DON'T put a bigger fuse in for that since the wires are gauged for the load. I wouldn't use that for your battery tender since it runs through some of the bike electronics and is only on when the ignition is on. Do the work to add the pigtail that fits directly to the battery terminals. Here is another photo with that connector circled in red.

You can also see the 15amp 12v socket in that photo that I added direct from the battery for my Slime mini air pump (needs at least 15amps). This one is always on and I have it for emergency use only.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob, I'm glad you responded. I love your mods. I did read some of your posts that you saw some pre-installed leads in the dealer. I looked around the top of the radiator, did not see anything poking out...just signal wires and the main harness. Could I be missing something? I only ask because this dealer tries to sell you some battery maintenance plan for 300 bucks so I'm almost certain they pre-install tender leads. I guess I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I would ask the dealer. The pigtails I saw were only at a few dealerships in my area. Where I bought my CTX they don't throw that on for you but will sell it to you and install it if you ask. So some dealers do and some don't provide that plug. On all of the bikes I saw that had it the plug was laying on the second fin of the left radiator shroud... just above the engine guard. Since mine didn't come with it I put my own on. My connector is different from the standard battery tender connector since I have an AccuMate Battery maintainer and so I would have needed to change it out anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bob, I'm glad you responded. I love your mods. I did read some of your posts that you saw some pre-installed leads in the dealer. I looked around the top of the radiator, did not see anything poking out...just signal wires and the main harness. Could I be missing something? I only ask because this dealer tries to sell you some battery maintenance plan for 300 bucks so I'm almost certain they pre-install tender leads. I guess I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time lol.
Being in Texas, I doubt you have the battery tender leads already installed. I asked my dealer here in Houston about the pre-installed leads when I took delivery of my bike, and he said dealers in the south wouldn't typically include this in their prep because our winters are shorter & milder than other parts of the US.
You will need to buy the pigtail for the battery tender and connect it directly to your battery. My pig tail came with the battery tender, but they aren't expensive. You could probably pick one up on Amazon for under 7 or 8 bucks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would ask the dealer. The pigtails I saw were only at a few dealerships in my area. Where I bought my CTX they don't throw that on for you but will sell it to you and install it if you ask. So some dealers do and some don't provide that plug. On all of the bikes I saw that had it the plug was laying on the second fin of the left radiator shroud... just above the engine guard. Since mine didn't come with it I put my own on. My connector is different from the standard battery tender connector since I have an AccuMate Battery maintainer and so I would have needed to change it out anyway.
My CTX came with a pigtail already installed, exactly where you said above, Bob.

Jeff

·
Registered
104 Posts
My CTX came with a pigtail already installed, exactly where you said above, Bob.

Jeff

So did mine but get this....the leads were installed backwards.
Normally I would say "idiots.." but my bike was assembled 100% perfect.

I went through the entire assembly and build-out the dealers do and they had every bolt torqued perfect, handle bars aligned dead-on and even the tire PSI to perfect.

The only thing I found wrong was the leads hooked up backwards.
I do have the "real" battery tender so I know someone goofed.

:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fellow riders;

Going to rain all day tomorrow in Atlanta so a perfect time to install the new Zumo 595L on the CTX1300.

Installing a new Garmim595LM. Mounted center on handlebars with RAMs. Clean mount. Looks balanced and doesn't interfere with any vision to the clocks right above.

Will then run / tie down balance of the cables down near right fork, then under the gas tank to under the seat. So far so good. Trying to keep clean look.

Question - Does anyone know what exactly (the male harness end) is called that plugs into the factory 12V socket end?

4 images -
one with socket under seat with cover on,
one of the socket under seat with cover off,
one of the mass of wires for the Garmin,
one of the red end / black end which I will solder onto the ends of the male harness.

And then plug into the female end. Test out. Then seal it all up with electrical tape and put seat back on.

Let me know if I left anything out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
502 Posts
Just pull it apart.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Does anyone know how to safety remove the dummy connector from the 12v accessory harness?
That connector is actually a 12v connector for the OEM 12v socket option with a dummy "cover" on it (see post 2 in this thread). There is a clip on the side you have to hold down to separate the two parts of the connector. The dummy cover is an actual working shell just missing the pins. I bought the pins and inserted them into the empty shell to make a working plug out of it for my own 12v socket installed in the right saddlebag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts