Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so Im at the motorcycle show today
lots of great bikes
to my surprise lots of people around the CTX
so I hang around and listen
guy standing next to me says man its ugly
another guy says oh there it is but its ugly Hondas trying to make it look like a Goldwing
first guy said he rides an st1300
THIS DOES NOT REPLACE AN ST1300
Honda has done a bad job of selling this bike as a new bike and not a replacement bike
all over the internet people are talking about how they don't like it because it looks like a cruiser
IT IS
its just not a v twin
I say all this on the heels of seeing that Honda is now at 3000 off on a new one. likely because they aren't selling them
I hope Honda has a plan for all you guys that paid retail and are now watching your trade value go in the crapper
yes I own one, and paid 12600 for a base mod so it was a good deal a month ago
but now I wonder what the new version is going to look like and what equipment it will have. likely more for less money
ya maybe Im venting a little, sorry
but its just every body has an opinion based on what they read and not reality. the only way to get the word out is talk about it.
you guys do a great job of talking up a great bike, THANK YOU

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK THETS GONNA GET ME IN TROUBLE
I am in no way saying that an st is not a great bike
Honda has made a lot of money on that bike and guys have put a lot of miles on them
im just saying the ctx is a different bike with a different intension
also a lot of people have opinions based on hp numbers alone and unless your gonna ride a busa or new super bike hp #s don't matter
because they are up to 200 hp and more so unless your that guy it don't matter
look at the torque curve and see how the power hits the road
ah man sorry there I went again
love the ctx and I only have 40 miles on her
MINNESOTA
IM DONE

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@gtmn,
venting is ok, bragging is ok, complaints are ok.....That's what I believe a forum is for. Sharing anything you feel about the bike or the manufacturer.
I thought the bike was fugly the first time I saw it. After a while it grew on me.
I then came here to the forum and read what owners said vs the mags, and now I'm the proud owner. Lots to think about and reply to in your comments.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well...the CTX 1300 IS a polarizing bike, it seems some people like it, some people don't and the in-between isn't that many :)

I think Honda's approach to solving the mysterious bagger market was right on. I showed my brother in law the bike today, and it has sort of a mean look, harder lines, and compared to the Harley Street Glide, a nice contrast.

You are right, Honda didn't do a very good job with marketing the bike, but it does have LED headlamps, LED tail-lights, and I have the bluetooth music system on my bike, it really is a great combination of technology.

Being this is in the bagger market, it will blow the doors off of the Kawasaki Vaquero, the stock Victory tourer, and the Harley FLHX Street Glide. It isn't nearly as heavy feeling, has narrow bags and the shaft drive that all make sense with the V-4. Compared to the ST1300 whereby you had to wind it up a little bit to make the top end horsepower, this thing is sitting so close to the max torque curve, that anyone that wants to do a roll-on...you know, your buddy who gives you that look and pins the throttle...this bike walks away easy.

Maybe Honda has to price the bike a little more midstream, since the FJR 1300 with ABS is priced very good with the electronic suspension, Honda may have figured this out with rebates. I know there were a lot of the CTX 1300's sitting in crates, but I think the more that the bike is out there, and people see it at the rally's and on the road, the bike will get more interest. I like the bike because it is comfortable like a Goldwing without it being a moving barge.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Vent away. Unless you're dumping on the bike, you're most likely preaching to the choir here anyway. Honda, on the other hand, yeah we do often question their methods. I just have to keep reminding myself that they are a global company and the US isn't their only -- or even their primary -- market, depending on models. They've downsized and consolidated a lot over recent years in order to remain profitable, which itself is a good thing; but with that comes a loss of regional expertise and market understanding, which I think manifests itself in this absence of a clear marketing message for this bike. Like everything else, it's a compromise.

At the end of the day, I look in my garage and remain giddily content that I finally have the closest thing to my ideal bike that ever has been and possibly ever will be made.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess what I am saying is
bmw sell bikes in the 15k to 30k range all day long with no discounts
so does Harley and some others, and they sell all day long
I am disappointed in the no effort in Honda and there dealers to sell this bike in a way that screams we messed up and should have done something different, the bike hasn't eve been out that long and they are dumping it like there is something wrong with it, also they don't show a 2015 on the web page, only 2014 and a big 3000 discount ad.
I just think its a premium bike and should have been portrayed that way. people will pay for premium
and they will pay a lot
this may not make sense I just woke up. can barely see the screen im typing on

·
Registered
15 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

First of all let me say I would give anything to have a CTX1300. Unfortunately medical reasons are preventing that from happening. I personally think the CTX1300 is an awesome looking bike. I have had a ST1300 and liked it but I definitely think there are some nice advantages to the CTX line. I have also had a BNW R1200RT and hated it. I broke down and BMW would only pay for the first 50 miles to get it transported to a shop to be fixed. I think Honda reliability is worth a lot. It is priced a little high but I think with some negotiating you can get a reasonable price.

Cheers

Data

Reactions: Bigredmachine

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Well... Just like what FatStrat said... "I don't care what others think" I LOVE my CTX1300! I love how it rides, handles, looks and the Honda reliability to boot!... and that's all that matters. I think it's a cool bike and I plan to keep mine for several years to come regardless to whether Honda keeps making it or not! If they decide to quit making it (which I hardly think that's the case) then it will just make our bikes more unique. Just an FYI... I talked to my salesman at Honda dealership a couple weeks ago while I was getting engine oil & oil filter and he told me that the ST1300 had been discontinued and that he hasn't heard that they were not going to produce the CTX1300 for this year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honda make good bikes , no doubt about that , but they fall down in the pricing , , They brought out the vfr 1200 a couple of years ago priced at , 23 grand , less than 12 months later , selling them at 18 .
The st was 22 grand ,, and they could'nt sell them , to get rid of surplus , they gave factory discounts and they run out the door at 17 grand , i know because i was running to the shop and got there too late they had all gone ,, Last year there flag ship the goldwing ,, they knocked 10 grand off the price and pushed them out for $29,000 , really annoying the people who shortly before paid $39,000

The ctx , i know the dealer closest to me , has refused to stock them , he said to me , if he buys them in at x amount , Honda will very shortly drop prices and he will once again be stuck with a bike that he has to sell for less than he paid .
When asked why he thinks they will drop the price he said simple , there not selling because has far has he is concerned , not enough bike for too much money no electric windscreen , no cruise control , ect ect . They are a bike designed for riding and if its long distance stuff you do , , well he's right the price is to close to other bikes that offer more .

Honda have got to relize its 2015 , reliability is not something people are prepared to pay a premium for any more , THEY EXPECT IT anyway regarless of who the brand is .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well looks like they are selling now
now that Honda dropped 3 grand, plus dealers are discounting
its a pretty inexpensive bike
at the rate new members are piping up on this forum it wont take long to sell down stock
seems Honda should have put a real price on them in the beginning
great to see the renewed interest on a great bike seems a lot of guys had a hangup with price

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's all good.

The CTX 1300 is my 8th bike. Fifth Honda. I traded a GW1800 to get this SCALDED DOG. I'm ok with Honda not producing them in 15 if that in fact is the case. It will only make the haters more jealous. At 58 the wing was getting to heavy. As far as the discounts, go Honda. I paid 10300 plus tax for the standard model. This bike has alot of potential and a good group of accessories. If anyone feels them got a bad deal then trade on, and get the bike of your dreams. The grass is always greener somewhere else. Right?? Mine is a keeper.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree on the trade in part. I asked hypothetically to a salesman the other day. I saw they had a Valkyrie for sale for 13k. I asked what my trade would be ( bought it 3 weeks ago for 13,8 OTD plus have the factory trunk) . The manager quoted my $7000. I almost threw my helmet at him.... Yep.
But this is a great bike. It just doesn't fit a niche. It's a neo cruiser. Nothing retro really about it. It's not a v twin. Nuff said. Then it's a ST1300 motor tuned for torque and less power so those guys don't like them. I just got a stare down by a ST1300 today. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d. I thought it was funny.
Even Guzzi guys ( I know this . I am one) don't even know what to make of them... And we are pretty eclectic..
But this "lacking of a niche" is what drew me to it. A good bike that doesn't try to be like another bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I agree on the trade in part. I asked hypothetically to a salesman the other day. I saw they had a Valkyrie for sale for 13k. I asked what my trade would be ( bought it 3 weeks ago for 13,8 OTD plus have the factory trunk) . The manager quoted my $7000. I almost threw my helmet at him.... Yep.
But this is a great bike. It just doesn't fit a niche. It's a neo cruiser. Nothing retro really about it. It's not a v twin. Nuff said. Then it's a ST1300 motor tuned for torque and less power so those guys don't like them. I just got a stare down by a ST1300 today. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d. I thought it was funny.
Even Guzzi guys ( I know this . I am one) don't even know what to make of them... And we are pretty eclectic..
But this "lacking of a niche" is what drew me to it. A good bike that doesn't try to be like another bike.
Kinda fits in with a comment in one of the early reviews of this bike: it answers a question that no one ever asked.

I guess they didn't hear me, because I'd been asking it for years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always loved Honda's styling, and this bike fit my view of how I think a Honda should look. I love this bike, the look, the feel, the power. Last year when I got it, I went on a ride back up to Albany and had stopped at a service station. There were a bunch of Harley riders, they were ALL OVER my bike, commenting on its looks and how cool it was. Later in the year I went on a veterans run from the local vet hall, I had the biggest engine (next was an old 1200 gold wing), and even with a passenger, I could coast along in 5th gear in towns, as well as keep up with everyone else accelerating out of the town WITHOUT DOWNSHIFTING. There really is very little to complain about this bike (for me at least).

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Well...the CTX 1300 IS a polarizing bike, it seems some people like it, some people don't and the in-between isn't that many :)

Hmm, seems that I am drawn to polarizing bikes, like when I bought my Victory Vision. At least Victory acknowledges that the Vision styling is a love it or hate it affair.

:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
This bike doesn't really compare but fills gaps in the Honda Lineup. The ST 1300 gets discontinued and Honda needs a Goldwing Jr. A bigger tamer Sport Touring Cruiser. Then they have the F6B.. They did it low and long... Sounds crazy but makes sense.
It doesn't realy compare. Just completes..
It can explain how it's a great bike that didn't hold its own in a lot of comparisons. It was make to fill voids in Honda's own lineup.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
So many keep talking about trade in. I never buy anything with trade in value considered. Trade in value can only be used to indicate if it's been popular or not to others in the past. I bought this bike for ME. If I ever do need to sell it I'll take what ever it brings, but I don't hold my breath for any particular trade in value. I paid what I was willing to pay to get it. If I sell it, I'll take what I am willing to take for it. If I don't get that, then I don't sell. Simple as that. Being concerned about trade in value is a contrivance of commercial business to encourage people to buy something based on perceived value later... ending up spending more up front so some executives can get rich faster. Same as making home improvements that are geared for increasing resale value... I make home improvements for me, not some buyer who I really don't care about and I don't know what they want and they likely don't like what I like anyway.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
The CTX is a good bike. Solid and proven powerplant. When comparing the ride of the CTX1300 to the ST1300, I really wished Honda had spent a bit more time on the suspension for the CTX.

Overall, I'm thrilled to have two Honda V-4's parked in my garage now, each perfectly suited to its purpose.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts