CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while we're all patiently waiting for the arrival of the CTX1300, what is everybody riding now? What do you like/not like about it? What was your favorite bike you ever owned/rode/wanted?

I've got the Thunderbird right now, but it's kind of a toss-up between it and the VTX1800 I had a few years before. While the 'Bird is a great bike, I was able to tweak the VTX exactly to my liking. Bars with a shorter reach, tornado intake, nice moderately rumbly exhaust, and all kinds of other stuff and chrome bits that I can't even get for the 'Bird. One of those few that I almost regretted getting rid of. Sometimes that desire for something different wins out over common sense. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a great idea for a thread on this forum since the 1300 is so new and different.

I live in downtown Boston and have always gravitated towards smaller bikes for the ease of use in the city. Recently I have been thinking of getting something more comfy for longer rides though. I currently ride a Sportster SuperLow that's good for the city and nice looking but terrible on the highway, the vibes are just too much to take after about an hour. My favorite bike I've owned was a Bonneville T100. Cool looking as **** with some extra cafe touches and fast enough to be fun, but not too fast to ruin my driving record. It was just a little too tall for me for city use or I would have hung onto it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My main ride at the moment is a 2013 Triumph Trophy. This is quite clearly the best bike I've ever owned. It's as if the British engineers designed the bike specifically for me. Now they just need to fully exorcise the ghosts of Lucas electrics.

My current second ride is a 2014 Honda CTX700D. Like any Honda, it's not very exciting. But it always works. When the Trophy battery died after just six weeks, the little Honda got me to work and the grocery store just fine.

The long-term best bike I ever owned was my first Honda ST1100. I put 145,000 miles on it before I traded it for a Wee Strom. Unlike my only American bike and my only British bike, none of my many Japanese bikes have ever left me stranded.

The 2012 Suzuki Wee Strom was the most fun bike I ever had. The bike that really got me started as a serious rider was a 1976 Honda GL1000. The first bike I ever had was the old Honda CB450 with the chrome tank panels.

I'm looking to trade the CTX700 for a CTX1300. The Triumph dealer is 90 miles away. The Honda dealer is only five miles away and he took great care of me when the deer killed my GL1800. I will always try to keep at least one bike that can be serviced locally.

I got the CTX700 with the DCT because I wanted ABS. It turns out that I really like the DCT. I'll miss that when I trade up. Chain maintenance isn't the big nuisance is was 35 years ago, but I'd still prefer a shaft drive. I'm expecting the fit and finish to be much better on the 1300 as well. A close look at the 700 brings up many obvious examples of Honda building a bike to a specific entry-level price point.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the CTX700 with the DCT because I wanted ABS. It turns out that I really like the DCT. I'll miss that when I trade up. Chain maintenance isn't the big nuisance is was 35 years ago, but I'd still prefer a shaft drive.
That's interesting ... most of the bikes I've owned have been shaft drive, and with every one of them I thought I wished they were belt drive. But now that I've got a belt-drive bike, I now have this constant concern that at some point it's going to need adjusting, and how will I know when. On top of that, word around the community is that the factory spec for belt tension on that bike is too tight, and if the dealer's mechanic doesn't know what they're doing when they set it up, they can easily over-tighten it, leading to premature rear axle bearing failure and an assortment of other possible maladies. Actual issues are rare, and it's probably just neurosis on my part, but it's always there in the back of my mind from the time I take off to the time I get back home. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm kinda longing for a worry-free, maintenance-free shaft drive again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently ride a 2008 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad. Fit's me great lots of leg room, this is important to my 35 inch inseam legs.

Hopefully the CTX1300 will have enough leg room for me or I'll really be disappointed.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently ride a 2008 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad. Fit's me great lots of leg room, this is important to my 35 inch inseam legs.

Hopefully the CTX1300 will have enough leg room for me or I'll really be disappointed.

Bob
im riding a 2004 goldwing...looking to add smaller, lighter bike with similar features

·
Registered
23 Posts
My current rides are all Hondas. A 2002 st1100, 2005 Rune, 2006 st1300 and a 2013 F6B. I tend to gravitate towards long distance bikes, but have a love for many different kinds of bikes. I suppose if I had to choose a favorite it would be the st1300. It does a lot of things very well and just fits me perfectly. I have taken a shine to both the ctx1300 and 2014 valkyrie. Unfortunately, I only have room in the garage (and time) for 4 bikes at a time. If I really like what I read about these 2 bikes in the next few months I will have some very tough decisions to make. I thought I would be blissfully content with the 4 bikes I have for many years. Darn you Honda!

·
Registered
33 Posts
2004 VTX1800R with hard bags, apes, cruise control, some chrome goodies, Ultimate Big Boy seat, etc. Also have a 1999 Honda Magna 750 that I stripped the passenger seat and pegs off of, has no bags, small windscreen, just a good fun blast-around bike.

Might have to sell these to get the CTX1300, provided I like that bike enough to make such a change. It would be a tough decision, but I'm pretty stoked about seeing this new invention from Honda.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, I only have room in the garage (and time) for 4 bikes at a time. If I really like what I read about these 2 bikes in the next few months I will have some very tough decisions to make.
As a Honda aficionado, that's a nice dilemma to have for a change. :)
I'm loving it. For so many years they had absolutely nothing new and really likable in the cruiser market. Now all of a sudden they're going nuts.

I thought I would be blissfully content with the 4 bikes I have for many years. Darn you Honda!
Ha -- they got you!! :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Currently have:

A late model Honda Magna with Mustang seat, Memphis Shades windshield, and saddle bags. (My "sleeper" that loves to "catchup" to just about anything on the road!) "Go V4 power"

A Honda DN-01 with Corbin seat and Givi windshield. (A "true automatic" hydraulic "all the way," no gears!) This has to be my favorite because of the simplicity and uniqueness of the ride/bike. (And NOT that I'm getting old or anything)

And now you know WHY I was hoping that Honda would have married the 2 concepts, (V4 with an automatic), when they create the CTX 1300. Time will tell, it just might happen!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Currently have:

A late model Honda Magna with Mustang seat, Memphis Shades windshield, and saddle bags. (My "sleeper" that loves to "catchup" to just about anything on the road!) "Go V4 power"

A Honda DN-01 with Corbin seat and Givi windshield. (A "true automatic" hydraulic "all the way," no gears!) This has to be my favorite because of the simplicity and uniqueness of the ride/bike. (And NOT that I'm getting old or anything)

And now you know WHY I was hoping that Honda would have married the 2 concepts, (V4 with an automatic), when they create the CTX 1300. Time will tell, it just might happen!
I have high hopes it will happen, how can they possibly pass up on an opportunity to do something like this, it would be a shame

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've got an '88 CBR1000, you know the ol' slab sides, that I usually take out bombing on the weekends but I'm looking for something modern and comfy. Probably will keep the CBR as well just to have 2 flavors...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm riding an '07 ST 1300 while in Ohio and an '06 Yamaha FJR 1300A while in Florida. The FJR has to be replaced with another ST 1300 or the CTX 1300. My favorite bike of all was my '05 ST 1300, which had 54K miles when we crashed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts