CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I know this must seem like an odd thing to bring up, but the saying, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" came to mind yesterday while thinking about all of your responses. By comparison, the whole cruiser thing does attract a certain type, and it's not really my thing. I like styling of cruisers, obviously, I own a Roadstar, but I could do without the "baggage". Again, just thinking out loud here, but maybe this is something I should be giving more consideration to.

Thanks again for all your continued input. It is much appreciated.

LR222

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
@Brian Kleinberg

Can you elaborate on your mounting the Unigo to the CTX?
A one wheeled trailer rotates on a different axis than a two wheeled one. By that I mean, the one wheeled trailer, as in a UniGo, must rotate side to side (x-axis) and up and down (Y-axis). The XY movement allows the UniGo to track the bike exactly. The rider does not feel the movement of the trailer, unlike a two wheel trailer. A two wheeled trailer mounts on a ball allowing a narrow range of movement (90 degrees) - 45 left of ball center and 45 right. In my opinion, a two wheeled trailer is "more" dangerous (relative term) as in very tight corners, the trailer will tend to twist the bike.

Fortunately, the CTX has a hollow rear axle. By machining another axle that slides within the stock axle. End spools allow easy on and off. So I can trailer the UniGo to a ride, pull the trailer off and into my hotel room (prevents theft) all within a couple of minutes.

IMG_1625 (600 x 450).jpg

This is how it looks!

small.jpg

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I know this must seem like an odd thing to bring up, but the saying, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" came to mind yesterday while thinking about all of your responses. By comparison, the whole cruiser thing does attract a certain type, and it's not really my thing. I like styling of cruisers, obviously, I own a Roadstar, but I could do without the "baggage". Again, just thinking out loud here, but maybe this is something I should be giving more consideration to.
This is exactly what I meant in my previous post. Every rider is different. Two riders on the same bike will come away with two different opinions. I have ridden my buddy's bike (2014 GoldWing) and I don't like it. He loves it as I love my CTX.

I am sensitive to the CTX being a tad over your price point. I would suggest that you take your time in finding one. I did and I got a brand new spanking CTX1300 Deluxe that was overlooked at a dealership in Maryland (I live in NY) that was still in its original crate. This was in 2017. I paid $7500 out the door!

Take your time, see what is at your dealership (they might be able to bring one in for you) and check out Craigslist. Whatever bike you decide to get, just make sure that it suits your primary riding style. Don't get a thumper if you wish to travel cross country! Even then... I met a 74 year old man last year on the Blue Ridge Parkway. He loved riding motorcycles but physically coundn't. So he outfitted a Vespa moped and only travelled secondary roads. He also had a one wheeled trailer that he made. He would ride only during the day. If he made it to a town he would stay in a motel. Otherwise, he would camp in his tent along the roadside (safely of course). I was amazed at his spirit and I hope I have his determination when I reach his age.

20180623_222133.jpg

Don't apologize for buying the bike that you do. Bikes are very personal and riders tend to get attached to them. Native Americans attributed non-living objects with a Manitou - a life force. Have you ever talked to your bike during a ride? How about when you are 30 miles from the nearest gas station and your bike is telling you that only 25 miles of fuel remain?

I digress but the point being, get whatever suits you and never apologize for doing so!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I always wanted the ctx1300 after coming back into riding. I started off with the ctx700 for a year and then bought the 1300 a year later. I test road the 2018 gold wing dct before I bought the ctx1300 and was impressed with the gadgets and things but the price just wasn't in my budget. After buying the 1300, yes the mirrors were not ideal but the bike to a person like me and what I use it for .... it is perfect. The handling, the power, after I got a Corbin seat... the comfort for me and my wife...is all I need in a bike. I'm a backroad traveler and it does everything I need for it to do.
I don't plan on selling it and if this one breaks I think I would just buy another one.

So the answer is everyone likes what they like and if you don't......sell it.
Hello all, I'd like to start by apologizing for my first post being a little on the negative side, however, I'm hoping you all can remedy that. I've been riding for 39 years, and I'm currently looking for my next bike, which needs to meet a rather specific set of requirements that don't seem to follow the most common motorcycles. In fact I've been a little frustrated in my search, with so few options, so Imagine my surprise when yesterday someone suggested I check out the CTX1300. My first thought was, "Wow! How is it I've never heard of this bike before?" Which I'm sure comes as little surprise to any of you.

I was really liking the bike's design, features, and price point. I obviously found out about the one year run, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Not if it's a good bike. I was pleasantly surprised at how many of my needs the CTX1300 met. I was actually getting excited, so I watched some pro review videos and I began thinking this could be the one! It appears to handle the twisties well, sounds good with stock exhaust...Then ...I made the mistake of watching several CTX owner's videos. Wow... What gives? Why so negative?

I'm serious, after 10 mins of listening to the first guy complain about the mirrors, the suspension, Honda "screwing the owners", the power band, the nonfunctional Bluetooth, the "subpar Honda build quality", the corner cutting and bargain bin bike build, based on a detuned old reliable motor, with "an over weight steel frame that really should have been aluminum". I'd just about had enough, and clicked on the next video, only to find pretty much the same thing. And other one who also mentioned their disappointment with the ala carte tour trunk, and so on. It was a real buzzkill.

After getting my hopes up, I wanted to..I WANT to like the bike. So what gives? Why do CTX owners apologize for their bikes? Because oddly, for all their supposed short commings, they all seemed to have them for a long while. They look great, seem comfortable, did I just click on the only three negative owners videos on the web? I'd like this to be the bike, but first I need to address these concerns. I'd much rather know the truth up front, warts and all, so please help me to better understand the CTX, please be honest, and if possible, maybe help me feel a little better about ignoring those damn videos.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

JL222
I purchased my CTX 1300 in September 2020. I had my 2017 Yamaha FJ-09 in for service when I noticed the used CTX on my dealer’s showroom floor, in “like new” condition, with less than 16,000 km. on the clock. Long story short, I took the CTX for a test ride and fell in love with it, so I traded in my Yamaha for this new ride. Before putting it in storage for the winter, I put about 3000 km. on it.
My riding history goes back 50 years, when I started out on old school Triumphs. Since then, I have owned a succession of marques, including BMW, Harley-Davidson, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Moto Guzzi. I have had touring bikes, sport-touring bikes, and adventure bikes. This is my first Honda, and I have not been disappointed.
The CTX ticks off all the right boxes for me. I am 5’9” with a 30” inseam, so the low seat height makes mounting and dismounting a snap. It is superbly comfortable, both solo and two-up. I like everything about it, from its appearance to the torquey V4 motor. It handles really well, and even the oft-criticized mirrors work fine for me.
The CTX will not be everyone’s cup of tea, but as the lovestruck Andrew Lincoln told Keira Knightley in the movie “Love Actually,” “to me, you are perfect.”
I can hardly wait for spring to get reacquainted with my CTX!
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Side question: I just saw on another thread, where some owners added regular mirrors. So does the CTX1300 already have threaded holes for the mirrors like every other bike?

Update: A saw a video where someone mentioned they do. That's good to hear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes the holes are on the bike. Nice standard holes. Easy to add aftermarket mirrors.
But the mirror issue is fixed by lowering the handlebars a bit.
And yes i can still see the bars in the mirrors. Got used to it. It took few weeks to retrain the brain.
On other bikes the handlebars mirrors all I could see were my elbows.
The CTX is kinda better. Not 100%.
You can see the holes covered by the screw on cap / flat head slot/ at the corner of the levers.
143170541596-2_1024x1024@2x.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes the holes are on the bike. Nice standard holes. Easy to add aftermarket mirrors.
But the mirror issue is fixed by lowering the handlebars a bit.
And yes i can still see the bars in the mirrors. Got used to it. It took few weeks to retrain the brain.
On other bikes the handlebars mirrors all I could see were my elbows.
The CTX is kinda better. Not 100%.
You can see the holes covered by the screw on cap / flat head slot/ at the corner of the levers.
View attachment 46300 View attachment 46299

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought one of these loads a few months back with 400 miles on it for $6300 ....yes the mirrors suck (junk) ...no center stand that is very much needed for a big load like this bike....any rough pavement the frontend shakes like a banchee ...I had to construck a stabilizer bar acrossed the handle bars to stop most of the shaking (junk)...ridiculous rear tire size that is hard to find out on the road if needed....I fixed this silly issue went with a car tire perfect solution .... luggage latches rattle makes you think something is falling off the bike .....Engine is a bear love it thats why i even considered this bike having a ST1300 years ago ......and the great price i got it for .....this load was $17,000 new I would have shot myself if i paid that price tag.....small gas tank seems like i am alway getting gas..(junk).....5 speed tranny ...the bike needs a 6th gear ...come on honda you did it on the ST1300...Goldwing....and know this junk.....bike looks cool I'll give it that alot of looks at the gas pump....stupid windscreen you have to go out and get the tall one right away if you live were it gets down to 40 or more....for $17,000 you would have thought they would have givin you a gear shift indicator.....Listen i bought this bike to take a trip to Colorado June 2021 it should have about 8k on it at that time and someone else can own it for $5000....OBO any takers e-mail me i will keep your contacts ([email protected] ) Connecticut

·
Registered
21 Posts
Living here in Texas, I am fortunate to pretty much ride my CTX daily. I love this bike! Yes, I’ve done some modifications with it (mine is a standard 1300) but I’ve done that with any bike I’ve had. Long trips, short trips - it doesn’t matter. It’s comfortable and smooth riding. Anything negative about the bike is minor to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I'd like to start by apologizing for my first post being a little on the negative side, however, I'm hoping you all can remedy that. I've been riding for 39 years, and I'm currently looking for my next bike, which needs to meet a rather specific set of requirements that don't seem to follow the most common motorcycles. In fact I've been a little frustrated in my search, with so few options, so Imagine my surprise when yesterday someone suggested I check out the CTX1300. My first thought was, "Wow! How is it I've never heard of this bike before?" Which I'm sure comes as little surprise to any of you.

I was really liking the bike's design, features, and price point. I obviously found out about the one year run, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Not if it's a good bike. I was pleasantly surprised at how many of my needs the CTX1300 met. I was actually getting excited, so I watched some pro review videos and I began thinking this could be the one! It appears to handle the twisties well, sounds good with stock exhaust...Then ...I made the mistake of watching several CTX owner's videos. Wow... What gives? Why so negative?

I'm serious, after 10 mins of listening to the first guy complain about the mirrors, the suspension, Honda "screwing the owners", the power band, the nonfunctional Bluetooth, the "subpar Honda build quality", the corner cutting and bargain bin bike build, based on a detuned old reliable motor, with "an over weight steel frame that really should have been aluminum". I'd just about had enough, and clicked on the next video, only to find pretty much the same thing. And other one who also mentioned their disappointment with the ala carte tour trunk, and so on. It was a real buzzkill.

After getting my hopes up, I wanted to..I WANT to like the bike. So what gives? Why do CTX owners apologize for their bikes? Because oddly, for all their supposed short commings, they all seemed to have them for a long while. They look great, seem comfortable, did I just click on the only three negative owners videos on the web? I'd like this to be the bike, but first I need to address these concerns. I'd much rather know the truth up front, warts and all, so please help me to better understand the CTX, please be honest, and if possible, maybe help me feel a little better about ignoring those damn videos.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

JL222
Good Luck in your search and final decision.

I have 45 years experience and the CTX1300 (Red) Deluxe is my 11th and best motorcycle I have owned.

I purchased the bike only from speaking to the owner and seeing photos, the bike was 800 miles away. My first ride was after it was deliver to my home.

I also I watched the same videos you mentioned. I paid $7500 for a perfect bike with only 1000 miles and extras included.

The mirrors are fine once you adjust it for yourself. The mirrors can be adjusted by finger tip and the handle bar also can be adjusted to give you the correct clearance for your height. The bolts holding the handle bar can be loosen and then adjust for your height and rear view. Once you adjust and get use to the mirrors I think their better.

The videos mention the handle bars vibrate if you hit holes in the street, yes this is true but you can get use to it.

The other complains come from individuals that paid the original price or near it. Yes the bike was overpriced but that is no longer the case. Very nice bikes can be had for under 9K. I also have found there are still brand new bikes never ridden
for sale.

The previous owner had a problem with the weight of the bike, which is a concern for anyone at 750 pounds.

With the weight of the bike you need to be careful especially in parking lots. My main concern of the weight is that the balance of bike is different then the previous 10 bikes I owned. You need to get use to the balance of this bike, engine is top heavy.

The weight of the bike works in your favor on the ride, the bike is very solid on the road. The wide back tire also allows the bike to hold the turns.

The stock seat with the handle bars contoured back allows comfortable riding.

I added an attachment where I can place my phone and play sirius xm radio thru the blue tooth speakers.

The CTX1300 being a 4cyl allows for the power to handle the mountain climbs, great power.

If you decide to purchase one, go for the Deluxe with ABS and traction control that gives you that safety factor. The braking on this bike is excellent.

Its also worth searching the entire country for the best bike. Mine was 800 miles away but for $500 delivery charge it was worth it.

I believe only about 1500 or less CTX1300s were produced, I based this on the highest serial number I have found was in the 1300s. I believe there is a section on the forum with serial numbers.

In the manual there is reference that the models produced for Canada have some slightly different features.

Last month as I was coming out of my garage a woman approached me and said, "I known nothing about motorcycles but that is one good looking bike".

I wish you the best and I am sure everyone who responded would like to know your decision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My post reply was based on 53 years of riding motorcycles and after owing over 40 bikes of every kind .....I am a collector of BMW Airheads

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
Actually no ST1300 had a 6th gear... except maybe the newer police only models that I hear are still in production in some places (I don't know how different the police editions of the ST are other than that they have some special kit added and the passenger seat removed). The CTX1300 has the very same engine and tranny as the latest production consumer ST... with some tuning to bring more torque in the lower RPM range where it is more useful for most riders (Actually higher than the ST at below 5000 RPM). And don't forget that the serial numbers do not reflect how many total have been produced or sold. Every different color and country and model in the USA (Deluxe or Standard) repeat the same serial number run. Must take the entire VIN into account and not just the SN part. There are over 3200 members in this forum and the vast majority still own their CTX1300. And there are many many more owners who are not on this forum.

I don't fault Honda for not including the center stand in the USA, but it should have been included since it was on models sold in other countries. Many years ago I looked at cruisers like the Kaw Nomad and a few others. Those did not have a center stand either.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most of the new bikes I see now come without a center stand. I added one to my first CTX1300, but I never bothered to put one on my second CTX1300. It was nice to have the stand when I had a flat rear tire. My Niken GT is the first bike I've bought with a pre-fitted center stand in a long time. I added one to the Gold Wing. But my Wee did not have one, my little CTX did not have one, nor did my Scout have one. Center stands were essential back in the day when you had to do chain maintenance almost daily. They are only occasionally useful now.

Mirrors are such an easy fix that I don't understand why people complain. A quick search of this forum will find at least a dozen solutions for the mirrors. The same goes for windshields. Neither of these items are "one size fits all". Each rider has a different body shape, different riding position, and different riding style.

I recommend that anyone looking for a new bike should join the forum for that model before making the final decision on the purchase. Read about what works and doesn't work for other riders. Then you'll have a head start on making the bike work for you.

Any time you buy a new bike, you need to allow extra money in your budget for adjusting the bike to your body and your riding style. Don't be cheap. Life is short. Spend your money wisely on the things you enjoy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you read my post carefully i reads Honda should have put a 6 speed in these bikes.........And the reason why American motorcycle models don't come with Center stands is because we dont demand it like Europe does ....they do because of all the street parking they do ....Anywhere Japanese manufactures can cut costs they will....come on America demand it we have the power....(LETS MAKE MOTORCYCING GREAT AGAIN) MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
If you read my post carefully i reads Honda should have put a 6 speed in these bikes.........And the reason why American motorcycle models don't come with Center stands is because we dont demand it like Europe does ....they do because of all the street parking they do ....Anywhere Japanese manufactures can cut costs they will....come on America demand it we have the power....(LETS MAKE MOTORCYCING GREAT AGAIN) MERRY CHRISTMAS
Dare I suggest that if we wanted something that badly, we’d have demanded it. Then somebody somewhere would have made it standard, and if the market supported it, everybody else would be clamoring to follow suit (well, everyone except BMW). I think if you asked everybody who might have bought a bike over the last 20 years but didn’t because of whatever reason, missing a center stand would be very low on the list.

Center stands, mirrors and a 6th gear would have been nice, but they are not what held back sales of the CTX1300. Honda made a lot of marketing boo-boos with this bike that simply kept it from finding a target audience. Or were they boo-boos? A lot of people think the CTX1300 was always intended to be a styling test bed for the soon-to-be-released next gen Gold Wing, and never intended to be a long-term replacement or solution for anything, in which case it did its job. Many of us who actually own/owned one felt it had a role to fill as a light tourer; but none if us are the ones studying global market data or counting Honda’s beans. The last thing they need is another model cannibalizing their flagship Wing.

I myself don’t understand a lot of the decisions Honda has made in their motorcycle business. But there are people making a whole lot more money and know a whole lot more about the global market than I do making those decisions. Last time I looked, Honda is still around and doing pretty well all things considered, despite my questioning some of their strategies. Bottom line is, it’s all in the numbers. If you like what they’re selling, then buy it; if you don’t, buy something else.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

JL222
Hmm, understanding your post completely. I am a newer owner, just had the bike for about 6 mos, bought it used. I rode several bikes before settling on the CTX-1300D. I compared it to Goldwing, Interstate and the Kawasaki version of it. The Goldwing felt cramped and my long legs were constantly bent, the seat was also lower which is why. The CTX lets me stretch them out a bit and it is higher with a higher center of gravity. With me being taller, that works for me. I added a few tweaks that were needed, like aftermarket cruise, blind spot mirrors and highway pegs, yes you can do it with Kuryakyn pegs and passenger extensions. I would have to say that the only things I don't like are the way the V-twin heads stick out a bit and get HOT, which is tricky with highway pegs and the lack of a backrest for either driver or passenger. I would also love for it to have one more gear to lower RPMs at high speed. Overall, I love the bike and how smooth it is even at high speeds. As for power, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it doesn't have enough. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agreed. It needs one more gear, I am constantly looking for it at high speeds...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Ridefast99 I may take you up on that, any chance you'll be further west than CO?

Clmcbride9 It probably won't be until the spring, but I'll be sure to let you guys know. You've all been a tremendous help. On a related note, as I'd mentioned, I'm also considering two other bikes, and both of their user communities are ghost towns. Having a group of informed and helpful owners is a big plus in my book.

As far as the center stand thing, in the past 25 years, none of my bikes have had them, not even my 900 lb. Roadstar. I do have a motorcycle floor jack though, I couldn't live without it. Sure, it's a PITA to drag out if I'm just washing the bike, in that case, a center stand would be nice, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me. As for emergencies, I run RideOn Tire Sealant and Balancer and carry a 12v pump, along with a plug kit for bigger holes. After getting stranded in the Sierras for 10 hours, I don't leave home wihtout'em. Having good towing coverage is a must as well. AAA Premier offers 250 mile tows.

My left saddlebag is like the spare tire well in the trunk of my car; it's primarily filled with tools, the "what if" emergency stuff, spray cleaner, rags and other things I might use on occasion. An AirHawk is an absolute must to carry. I don't use it 99% of the time, but when I need it , I'm damn glad I've got it! I also carry a spare face shield, dark for day, clear for night, an emergency fuel bottle, a bungee net, etc. The right side gets the daily use, which is why having a removable massive Harley tourpak is a big luxury.

I live in Northern California, and I hate driving a car in traffic or fighting to find a parking space, so I even do most of my shopping on my bike. Lane sharing is also legal here and there's always some spot right up front to park a bike. On the streets, I park between cars. If I have to go to San Francisco, I wont drive the car for those exact reasons. So all these things are something I have to take into consideration. That said, I'm sure the CTX1300 would be better for lane sharing on the freeway than my wide-arsed Roadstar.

As for the 6th gear thing, my Roadstar is the exact same way. I often go to shift gears when I'm already in 5th, then figure, OK, it's fine and ride on. At least I know I'm not in 4th.. Ha...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will sell this bike to you for $5500 right now...you pay shipping bike is mint condition i can send video....moving on to a dr650 going to do the NEBDR this summer instead.if your serious send me a contact number and phone number....Just put a new tall windscreen and center stand on

21 - 40 of 54 Posts