CTX 1300 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks RIdefast, that's one heck of a deal, I just don't have the cash available right now. Like I mentioned in my last post, I'll have to wait until the spring, unless by some miracle I sell my bike before then.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’ll offer my review as a former owner of a CTX1300 Deluxe. I purchased it new as a hold over in 2015 so I didn’t pay anywhere near list price. Had I paid the full rent I think I would have been disappointed. At the price I paid, it was satisfied.

negatives:
1) single production year in the US, so not as much aftermarket support
2) that darn broken tab. Honda could have done better
3) suspension truely is terrible in stock form on anything other than smooth roads
4) if Honda thought it should have hard cases from the factory, then it would make sense to have tall windscreen standard as well
5) why detune the ST engine?
6) fit and finish could have been better. The side cases rattled on the rough roads around here (highway and smooth roads they did not)) and the storage bins in the dash were kind of chintzy.

pluses:
1) shafty
2) with the tall windscreen, this had the best wind protection of any bike I’ve owned
3) Best braking bike I’ve ever owned. The linked braking system was flawless in every way
4) that engine. What’s not to like about a V4. Smooth as silk
5) although it did have a unique engine whine, the exhaust note really is nice. Deep and throaty but not annoying. The perfect exhaust note in my book
6) take the side cases off, and it really looks like a brute. Almost like a muscle bike with that huge rear tire
7) has good low end grunt
8) takes regular unleaded gas. High octane not required (may be the reason for detuning the ST engine)
9) LED lights really made it look upscale
10) signal cancelling. I miss that feature and still find myself running down the road with my blinker on over the past half mile.
11) audio system was nice to have at this price point

Some complain about only having 5 cogs, but I never found myself wanting for more. A 6 speed would have been better maybe, but it was a non- issue for me. The gears were spaced out pretty well from my recollection

Some complain about the mirrors. Again, I had no problems with them. I really think this has to do with seating position, and every rider is built differently

The stock seat isn’t any better or worse than other bikes

I did have issue with the stock suspension. In my area we have some pretty poor roads, and I couldn’t stand the stock setup. It was the worst I’ve ever had. After a race tech front and new rears (forgot the name of the company who supplied the rears but I recall they were from Germany I think) the suspension issue was fixed and to my liking

The bike is not what I consider fast as far as bikes go, but it does okay. It never felt underpowered when needing to get on it to pull ahead of traffic. Its definitely not going to keep up with a vmax, but it won’t have a problems doing what’s asked of it

I would still have the bike if I did any distance riding. Wife didn’t want to ride as much as I had planned so most of my riding was local and solo. Its a big heavy bike for the short trips I was doing, so I moved to an adventure bike instead. 230 lbs lighter and not as much heft made it better suited to the riding I am doing 80% of the time. I wanted to keep the CTX because I had it set up the way I wanted, and it was enjoyable. Funds were not an issue either. It was the garage space. If the situation were different and I had a shop or a larger garage I would probably still have the bike. A two car garage is just a little cramped. I think I put about 9k miles on the bike over three years, and overall it was a pretty decent bike.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was tring to decide between three bikes, the Vaquero & Cross Country & the CTX before I bought my CTX in late 2015, but the choice of of shaft drive vs belt, the performance #s, fuel mileage, Honda V4, the price of a new CTX, $9999.00 was still less than a used version of the other bikes. Now 5 years later and 37,588 miles later, I still love the bike! Yes I have added countless options which I would have done no matter what bike I have owned. I would definitely buy another one if something happened to this one!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey, @Lazelod !!! Good to see you post here again.
Your response above was well-said. Agree with it all. Haven’t adjusted the HyperPro shocks at all from your setting. Ride is more than acceptable. You had 8,844 miles on it when I picked it up in April ‘18. Today, it has 34,882. Great bike. Thanx for “breaking it in” for me!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey, @Lazelod !!! Good to see you post here again.
Your response above was well-said. Agree with it all. Haven’t adjusted the HyperPro shocks at all from your setting. Ride is more than acceptable. You had 8,844 miles on it when I picked it up in April ‘18. Today, it has 34,882. Great bike. Thanx for “breaking it in” for me!!!!! View attachment 46344
Hey hey, bike looks sharp! I lIke the accent stripes. Glad you are enjoying it. You’ve put some miles on it in less than 3 years. One thing i meant to get and I see you have is the back rest. How is that working out?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Love the backrest. Got it for $50 from a local friend off a BMW touring bike. Have ridden the bike on many 400+ mile days, and 3 IronButt distance rides (two 1000-mile, one 1500-mile). Hope to ride it back to NC/Virginia again this year for my third Meetup in the Mountains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love the backrest. Got it for $50 from a local friend off a BMW touring bike. Have ridden the bike on many 400+ mile days, and 3 IronButt distance rides (two 1000-mile, one 1500-mile). Hope to ride it back to NC/Virginia again this year for my third Meetup in the Mountains.
Did you have to cut into the seat for that backrest? I haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
No. It’s a Corbin seat with the flap and the hardware/springs pre-installed for the backrest. My friend bought a used Beemer w/ Corbin and Corbin backrest - and hated the backrest. I (tongue-in-cheek!) offered him 50 bucks to take it off his hands. He said, “Sure”!!!! Great price and local pick-up - a win/win for me!

I believe Utopia makes a backrest that’ll fit the stock seat. I believe there is a small amount of cutting/modding, but several here have them, so must not be terribly involved. A backrest of any form makes a HUGE difference on long rides.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you have to cut into the seat for that backrest? I haven't found one yet.
I have pictures documenting the Utopia seat install, is actually easy with instructions. Contact me if you want the notes & pics. I believe I uploaded them to my profile or somewhere on the forum. The upright position of the CTX made the Utopia an essential upgrade. It is a superb product, quite ingenuous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
I really wish I could take one out on a test ride, but there's only one for sale within 500 miles of me.
I to could not go the $19,000.00 hit the original owner of my CTX took, he bought it with every dealer option installed plus a Cee Bailey tall windshield. ( God bless him) He only put 2700 miles on it and I bought it 18 months old for $9300.00 In like new condition. I’ve only installed the menosabe saddlebag guards and forward mounts with foot pegs and a few farkles
I’ve rode two up for days at a time and the wife had no complaints I did the Devil’s triangle and the Dragon two up on the same day. Also this bike eats up highway miles very well at 80+ mph. And still gets over 40 mpg. I was afraid that with that wide rear tie it would not handle well, but you really don’t notice it at all. It just looks cool. You can now probably buy a low mileage deluxe like mine for 6-7000 and is a bargain at that price. I would highly recommend the deluxe for the money difference. The ABS brakes, traction control and self canceling turn signals are really good safety items and the blue tooth is great also. I had to drive from SW Ohio to Chicago to pic mine up and was worth the five hour trip. Just my two cents. I also owned an early GW and wanted something with less weight and the CTX fit the Bill. I ride my 94 Honda Magna 750 locally and used to take it on longer trips. The wife wanted to start riding again and I wanted a larger bike with bags. The CTX also came with a V4 like my Magna and the look was cool to me.i love the look of those pipes and the engine heads sticking out the sides and the shaft drive for less maintenance. Try to ride one and then you will know weather it fits your needs and likes. Good luck buddy with your search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all, I'd like to start by apologizing for my first post being a little on the negative side, however, I'm hoping you all can remedy that. I've been riding for 39 years, and I'm currently looking for my next bike, which needs to meet a rather specific set of requirements that don't seem to follow the most common motorcycles. In fact I've been a little frustrated in my search, with so few options, so Imagine my surprise when yesterday someone suggested I check out the CTX1300. My first thought was, "Wow! How is it I've never heard of this bike before?" Which I'm sure comes as little surprise to any of you.

I was really liking the bike's design, features, and price point. I obviously found out about the one year run, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Not if it's a good bike. I was pleasantly surprised at how many of my needs the CTX1300 met. I was actually getting excited, so I watched some pro review videos and I began thinking this could be the one! It appears to handle the twisties well, sounds good with stock exhaust...Then ...I made the mistake of watching several CTX owner's videos. Wow... What gives? Why so negative?

I'm serious, after 10 mins of listening to the first guy complain about the mirrors, the suspension, Honda "screwing the owners", the power band, the nonfunctional Bluetooth, the "subpar Honda build quality", the corner cutting and bargain bin bike build, based on a detuned old reliable motor, with "an over weight steel frame that really should have been aluminum". I'd just about had enough, and clicked on the next video, only to find pretty much the same thing. And other one who also mentioned their disappointment with the ala carte tour trunk, and so on. It was a real buzzkill.

After getting my hopes up, I wanted to..I WANT to like the bike. So what gives? Why do CTX owners apologize for their bikes? Because oddly, for all their supposed short commings, they all seemed to have them for a long while. They look great, seem comfortable, did I just click on the only three negative owners videos on the web? I'd like this to be the bike, but first I need to address these concerns. I'd much rather know the truth up front, warts and all, so please help me to better understand the CTX, please be honest, and if possible, maybe help me feel a little better about ignoring those damn videos.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

JL222
BTDT more than once. Picking up a downed bike that is. Once each with my ST1100 and Burgman 650 and twice, or was that 3 times, with my Gold Wing. A few times with bike on left side and few times on the right side. Back/squat method is by far the easiest (proven to me picking up the Gold Wing). In practice, both facing the bike and back to the bike have equal chances of it falling onto the other side. Which is really a very small chance since you never get so much momentum going on the way up that you can't stop before getting it straight up. And that's the trick. You never really pick a bike up all the way straight until the side stand is down. So if you are picking it up from laying on the left side you only lift it far enough to get the side stand down so you never get to, let alone pass, being straight up. If picking it up from the right side you put out the side stand before you start and you will have plenty of control to ease it onto the side stand. It really does work.
I'm 6'6" 285lbs and don't fit well on most bikes. I bought the CTX1300 (not deluxe) with 2800 miles on it for $6,000. I knew from this forum what to expect in regards to potential issues I might have to address. I've addressed everything I didn't like and added much to it for comfort/pleasure. Today, I absolutely love my CTX 1300!!
The shockwaves coming through the handlebars were my biggest issue, but found this easily resolved. I changed to 5 weight fork oil, added hyperpro progressive fork springs, added progressive rear shocks, Rox anti-vibe 2" handlebar risers and kuryaken isogrips and throttle boss. A $1200 investment completely changed the bike, making it an absolute dream to ride. It's smooth as can be over any road.
I've included the listings for all of the items I used. Buy the CTX, you won't regret it once you address the suspension. Considering how inexpensive the bike is, you won't find a better value.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts