CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just took my bike out for a spin and had to turn around as soon as I got out of my driveway because there is a pronounced wobble in the front wheel. I don't have time for a lengthy post now because I'm literally on my way out the door to visit family. Here's what I know: The tires are inflated to exactly factory spec. I haven't noticed any wobble before, and the bike has over 11,000 miles on it. Tires do not appear to be due for replacement yet, however they do show marked wear (as expected). I will look at it more closely tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had any specific insights that might help me figure out the issue. The steering characteristics of the bike have changed dramatically, with the bike's front "flopping" when I give it any steering input. Extremely aggavating, since this kind of thing only happens when I'm in a hurry, haha. Please bear in mind that "take it to the shop" was my first reaction too, but the nearest Honda dealership is 100 miles away and I don't have a trailer so... I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. I have a center stand that I have not installed yet. Naturally, sigh. Anyway, thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Not sure what to say here but the first that comes to my mind is to check the steering head for loose nuts/bolts and make sure all is as it should be. Also verify the tire all around, again, just to be sure no issues with the tread or balance (something hitching a ride on the rim?).

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might have thrown a balance weight off the rim?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires are inflated to exactly factory spec.
Well now I feel like an idjit. I went out to take a look this morning, and the back tire was completely flat. I should have said "TIRE is inflated to factory spec." Singular. As in, I only checked the front because, hey... it was the front that wobbled. I should have noticed that I was lower in the saddle than usual, but I guess I was too distracted. The rim wasn't sitting on the floor, and there was just a little air left in the tire, but yeah. Flatsville. I checked the tire, and it only took me a minute to find the problem. There was a small, jagged slit in the tread. It looks like I ran over a piece of metal. I was hoping for a nail at least (with a nice, round hole), but at least it was pretty small. I used a plug kit on it, and checked the plug with soapy water after I inflated the tire. I'm going to let it sit for a little while, and if I don't lose any air, I think I will be OK to ride it to the dealership (with wifey trailing in the car) to have them give me a new pair of tires. I'm almost due for a set anyway.
Live and learn, folks! :D

Reactions: GermanMike

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Well now I feel like an idjit. I went out to take a look this morning, and the back tire was completely flat. I should have said "TIRE is inflated to factory spec." Singular. As in, I only checked the front because, hey... it was the front that wobbled. I should have noticed that I was lower in the saddle than usual, but I guess I was too distracted. The rim wasn't sitting on the floor, and there was just a little air left in the tire, but yeah. Flatsville. I checked the tire, and it only took me a minute to find the problem. There was a small, jagged slit in the tread. It looks like I ran over a piece of metal. I was hoping for a nail at least (with a nice, round hole), but at least it was pretty small. I used a plug kit on it, and checked the plug with soapy water after I inflated the tire. I'm going to let it sit for a little while, and if I don't lose any air, I think I will be OK to ride it to the dealership (with wifey trailing in the car) to have them give me a new pair of tires. I'm almost due for a set anyway.
Live and learn, folks! :D
Damm. Hole in the tire sucks. But if it's holding air and passing the bubbly test, you should definitely be ok to ride to the dealer. I had a Magna a few years back that the bead on the front tire got corroded enough that it leaked slow. I thought it felt a little funny, but for some reason didn't check the tires (one push would have told the story). Then I almost dumped it turning out the end of my street, which was my first hint that something might be amiss. I nursed it back home and pumped it back up, and it was fine for the (very careful) one-way trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
... I think I will be OK to ride it to the dealership (with wifey trailing in the car) to have them give me a new pair of tires. ...
where's the adventure in that? Oh, and they ain't gonna GIVE you anything(cept maybe a lighter wallet).....

Ok, I'm glad it was somethin simple, even tho a bit pricey to fix.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
What brand of tires are you gonna go with?

The tires are inflated to exactly factory spec.
Live and learn, folks!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you didn't loose faith like Rogerdodger285 did! :rolleyes:
I'd take the bike back for full refund for running over an object that sliced your rear tire.
Yeah...I would too! :rotfl9:
Y'know, I bet the dealer would give me a full refund of my purchase price. I might have to knock off a mirror housing, but I bet they would go for it. If they did, I would take that $18,000 and go out and buy TWO new CTX1300s, to take advantage of the awesome current prices. :)

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What brand of tires are you gonna go with?
That's the question that's going to eat up most of my free time this weekend, haha. Respect to the guys pushing envelopes, but I'm definitely not going all Dark-Sidey. Regular motocycle tires for me. I'm not particularly in love with the stock tires, nor do I particularly dislike them. I have felt them slip once or twice, but it's not something that has really made me worry. Howbout it, everyone? What's the best/worst tires for our bike that you know of?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Been there done that with a big screw right in the middle of the rear tire. I think the stock tires stick really well so I bought another....but very expensive. FYI. I took the rear wheel off myself. When I reassembled the rear brake caliper I lubricated the pins with caliper grease. Brakes applied more smoothly. Should probably do that to the front ones but I'm too lazy.

Reactions: shane

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I am glad you figured it out.... even if it might have been an obvious fix. Sometimes I go into 'tunnel vision' when an issue arises when I am busy. Get a new tire ASAP. Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Do you have the Bridgestones or the Dunlops? I think willajabir went with the Michelin Commander II for his ride. I've done a little research on them and they look like they're a pretty good tire. I like the looks of them too! I think they would and do look good on the bike. :cool: I think when it's time to replace mine that's probably what I'm gonna go with.

That's the question that's going to eat up most of my free time this weekend, haha. Respect to the guys pushing envelopes, but I'm definitely not going all Dark-Sidey. Regular motocycle tires for me. I'm not particularly in love with the stock tires, nor do I particularly dislike them. I have felt them slip once or twice, but it's not something that has really made me worry. Howbout it, everyone? What's the best/worst tires for our bike that you know of?

·
Registered
229 Posts
New CTXs

Y'know, I bet the dealer would give me a full refund of my purchase price. I might have to knock off a mirror housing, but I bet they would go for it. If they did, I would take that $18,000 and go out and buy TWO new CTX1300s, to take advantage of the awesome current prices. :)
Try buying 2 CTXs for the equivilant over here,they are priced anywhere between £10,000 and £14,000

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I've said it b4, but I feel a little whiny.

I got 400 miles out of my first rear tire. Screwed with a screw.

Feel better now? :tongue:

PS I have 5000 on that new rear tire. Middle tread almost down to the wear bars already. Almost all pavement riding. Not happy.

Reactions: shane

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Got screwed by the screw. :)

What brand of tires do you have?

I've said it b4, but I feel a little whiny.

I got 400 miles out of my first rear tire. Screwed with a screw.

Feel better now?

PS I have 5000 on that new rear tire. Middle tread almost down to the wear bars already. Almost all pavement riding. Not happy.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I replaced the Dunlop tires that came with the bike with the Bridgestone. The price they quoted me on the Dunlops was at least $100 more per tire. I spent forever shopping around, but the dealership couldn't find another match that seemed better to me. On the 100-mile ride home, I have to say that I didn't feel any difference in the Bridgestone vs. the Dunlop. I admit that I was riding more conservatively than I normally would have, both because of the film of tire preservative that had not worn off yet and the fact that I was riding in and out of rain storms. I will know more once I can get out on my normal riding roads in dry conditions. Having said that, the Dunlops were never disappointing to me, so I'm not sure what I'm expecting. Now if I can just keep pointy things from harshing my mellow. :)
Oh! I was worried about not being able to fix my tire if I *did* manage to pick up a nail, so I bought this SAE to 12-volt adapter to hook up to my Battery Tender pigtail:
This works great with my little Slime tire inflator, and combined with the tire plug kit, takes up very little room in my saddlebag. I lucked out by finding my tire flat right there in my shed as opposed to on the side of the road hours from home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts