CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to think this is Honda's biggest Folly ... rear tire that nobody likes the tire size very rare could leave you possibly hanging on the side of the highway somewhere with a 3 day wait for a overnight Shipment..... A useless windshield that you have to buy a OEM replacement for.....No center stand on a bike that absolutely needs one for maintenance...... mirrors that are absolutely useless and probably the poorest design I've ever seen not to mention dangerous.... for a $15,999 price tag base model not even a gearshift indicator how expensive would of that been ...please.... no heated grips on a long distance cruiser are you kidding me....One key that came with my bike and they want to charge you $60 bucks for a new blank...... a frontend that chatters like **** when you go over any bump that in my mind is considered average..... no tail rack of any kind no way to strap down anything without purchasing a $200 OEM tail rack all these options should have been standard on a 15 or $16,000 dollar bike shame on you Honda ...Honda has been making motorcycles for ever if it wasn't for this motor and drivetrain I would've never considered this bike from the beginning I had a ST 1300 ....I can see why these bikes are selling for six grand now new leftovers ....they are definitely hondas White Elephant wake up Honda you're better than this...... did I mention I like the riding position on this bike and that sweet motor ...have a great day OK bring on the criticism I have big shoulders I am a ex marine

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, to recap...

Bike for $15k = nope.
Bike for $6k = Heck yeah!

Reactions: LilRed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had to make a point ...Honda needs to know they totally screwed up and whoever signed off on this particular model I hope he got the boot

·
Registered
343 Posts
No criticism from me on your critique. I have been stranded overnight waiting for a ridiculous sized rear tire, I changed out the windscreen (only slightly taller), no center stand just like the grossly expensive HD softail I had, and mirrors are like what my Aprilia had. The only bike I had with a gear indicator was the worst bike I ever owned. I never had heated grips and don't need them where I am, but yes, the front suspension is jarring sometimes, but the beast will fling into a corner and hold a line like no other "tubby" bike I know.

I love this bike. It has quirks, and who the heck knows who it was designed for anyway. I think Honda always wants tour bike riders to buy wings...a 1300 tourer is too close for comfort and weould canabalize that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
OK @ Ridefast99, where can I find one "new"? ;)
2400 miles on the ODO.. but "like new"

I was actually at this dealer looking at a different motorcyle. It was very clean and I didn't see any obvious signs of abuse / drops. Non factory grips and a cramp buster installed. Non OEM windscreen. I say offer them 7K OTD and see what they say. Get it shipped to you ~$350.00.

the point is there is still plenty of extra low mile examples to be found nationwide. Could you find a new in crate one? Perhaps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My second CTX1300 is my favorite bike I've ever owned. It is very comfortable. I love the smooth power. Even though my Gold Wing is clearly a better bike, I still prefer to ride the CTX.

I ruined a rear tire once while touring and found a tire that fit at the first open shop I found. The story is on this forum somewhere. That CTX had a centerstand. Someday I'll get around to putting one on this CTX.

The jarring of the front end can be bad at times. But it's very rare that I find it uncomfortable. I live in an area with great asphalt. That makes a difference.

I rode a few thousand miles on the short screen and found it to be more than acceptable for normal riding. For longer tours, a taller shield is an improvement on any bagger. I put a taller shield on my Gold Wing as well.

I've found the bike to be capable of doing nearly everything I have asked it to do. The only time I'm uncomfortable on the bike is when I'm rapidly descending a twisty, steep mountain road. The main issue in that scenario is the abrupt off/on throttle response. The ST1300 has the same issue. For all other riding, I prefer this bike over any other bike I've ever owned.

Fit and finish are not great on this bike. But this does not inhibit the performance of the bike. It's more than fast enough. And it's more than nimble enough in the twisties. And it's awesome on the highway.

If you can get a new one for $6000, go for it. It's quite a bargain. I paid list for the first one in March of 2014 and $1000 under list for the second one four months later. I don't regret a penny of it.

Reactions: cjm76

·
Registered
45 Posts
Imagine really how much money Honda lost on this one bike, I don't really know of any other bike that was produced for only one model year.
When I bought mine I knew of the shortcomings but I also knew that it's not that expensive to fix.
But I wish there were more accessories.
And yes, I would had not bought it at the original MSRP but I bought it at a much reduced price.
When I compared against other with similar prices I thought it's a good compromise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Track N Trail Spring Mills Pa.... 814-364-2453....has a 2014 with 5k miles on it ....Base model asking $6900...guy says bike is mint cond go offer him 5K see if it flys....winter is coming fast good luck .....ridefast

·
Registered
7 Posts
Imagine really how much money Honda lost on this one bike, I don't really know of any other bike that was produced for only one model year.
When I bought mine I knew of the shortcomings but I also knew that it's not that expensive to fix.
But I wish there were more accessories.
And yes, I would had not bought it at the original MSRP but I bought it at a much reduced price.
When I compared against other with similar prices I thought it's a good compromise.
1983 Honda CX650 Custom is another example of a one year wonder. It was my first bike. Bought one last year and refurbed it to teach my wife to ride.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Ridefast99 I must agree with just about everything you said but one thing. Once a Marine always a Marine. There are no ex Marines, at least that's what my Marine friends tell this Navy guy. Ride safe Marine.😊

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well in the early 70s when I got discharged that's what we were called I was a marine when it wasn't fashionable and there were real heroes not people who save a kitten in a tree and are on the news that night being Called heroes it always blows my mind that term is being so loosely used no disrespect to anybody in the service I believe everyone should serve in the military before they have the right to vote to see what the world is really like unlike these young kids these daysWith their rose-colored glasses on we live in the greatest country in the world bar none wake up America sorry for the rant but it always strikes a nerve with me my political views start coming out ride safe........ridefast

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
To each, his own. I have ridden this machine almost 50k. Gone on several 2k-3k trips. Great for one up touring, or just a 200 mile day jaunt. [I've been lucky. Two rear flats, both in my garage.]

Sell it then. Life is too short.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The CTX could use a few improvements but in my opinion it's the nicest bike I have ever owned!
I would like to have had a higher gear for highway, cruise control and yes, functional mirrors.
I wonder sometimes why my US friends didn't come to Canada and buy the bike here...(all CTX;'s here are deluxe) and gain 40% on the dollar? Just my thoughts. Too bad anyone finds their bike a disappointment :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am beginning to think this is Honda's biggest Folly ... rear tire that nobody likes the tire size very rare could leave you possibly hanging on the side of the highway somewhere with a 3 day wait for a overnight Shipment..... A useless windshield that you have to buy a OEM replacement for.....No center stand on a bike that absolutely needs one for maintenance...... mirrors that are absolutely useless and probably the poorest design I've ever seen not to mention dangerous.... for a $15,999 price tag base model not even a gearshift indicator how expensive would of that been ...please.... no heated grips on a long distance cruiser are you kidding me....One key that came with my bike and they want to charge you $60 bucks for a new blank...... a frontend that chatters like **** when you go over any bump that in my mind is considered average..... no tail rack of any kind no way to strap down anything without purchasing a $200 OEM tail rack all these options should have been standard on a 15 or $16,000 dollar bike shame on you Honda ...Honda has been making motorcycles for ever if it wasn't for this motor and drivetrain I would've never considered this bike from the beginning I had a ST 1300 ....I can see why these bikes are selling for six grand now new leftovers ....they are definitely hondas White Elephant wake up Honda you're better than this...... did I mention I like the riding position on this bike and that sweet motor ...have a great day OK bring on the criticism I have big shoulders I am a ex marine
Personally I love the bike.
Tires: go to the Darkside, you can find a 205/50/17 almost anywhere cheap. Add a center stand and carry enough tools to change a tire if you need to. Inconvenient I know but I've done it for years because I ride a lot in remote areas.
Windshield: A lot of bikes come with short shields, the CTX is probably the most effective of them IME. I agree it isn't ideal for touring but it looks awesome. Spend a couple or 3 hundred on one that suits you.
Center stand: Not many modern bikes come with one. Though it seems the CTX is shipped with it in most world markets. Americans like to buy accessories and Honda knows this, hence the lack of a stand and a tall shield.
Mirrors: I don't have this issue, but I get that other people do. For me the mirrors although partially obscured are the best of any bike I've owned. The key for most people seems to be adjusting the handle bar position properly. If that fails you can buy a suitable set of mirrors from $20 to several hundred dollars a pair. The mounting points are already there just unscrew the plugs, screw in amd adjust the mirrors.
Gear shift indicator: LOL a useless addition at best IMO and an item that isn't very common on modern bikes. It has a huge tachometer, learn the bike and the gear is easily determined by road speed and RPM. Also it's not that difficult to determine if you are in the correct gear by the feel and sound of the bike, no tachometer needed. If it bugs you that much add one they're fairly cheap.
Heated grips: Personally I've never needed them and I commute 68 miles daily, at times in single digit temps. To be fair they would be nice, but even on a GL you don't get them on the base model. Some world market bikes do come with them, I think the Canadian bikes have them. Back to that whole Americans like accessories thing. From what I've always heard heated gloves are more effective anyway. That's just hearsay though because I don't use those either.
Front suspension: Easily fixed by removing the bar end weights, it isn't actually a suspension issue IMO. It is caused by the internal portion of the bar end weights slapping the inside of the bar and the shock transferring thru the grip to your hand. I also changed the fork oil, I don't recall what wieght oil I used now. I have the left over fluid at home I cam let you know in a few days if you're interested.I changed it more to verify the level than anything else. Something I do to all my bikes at purchase, dealers never check that as it isn't mentioned in the Set up and PDI documentation.
Rear rack/lack of tie down points: Few bikes come with a rear rack.
There are 4 tie down points. 2 studs in the rear and 2 integrated into the saddle bags in the front. So I just don't see the issue there, unless you are hauling a passenger in which case you should have a trunk with a back pad or at minimum a rack and back rest anyway. Also items most bikes don't come with.
Keys: I spent almost 8 years running the set up shop of (at that time) the largest volume Honda dealer East of the Mississippi. ALL HONDA MOTOR CYCLES, SCOOTER, ATV's, PWC, POWER EQUIPMENT and SIDE BY SIDES COME WITH 2 KEYS, AT LEAST IN THE US. IF YOURS DIDN'T YOU GOT SCREWED. GO BACK AND DEMAND YOUR SECOND KEY FROM THE DEALER. If they tell you otherwise call American Honda and report it. To the best of my knowledge ALL the manufacturers provide 2 keys. We sold Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, American Iron Horse and for a short while Kinroad. They ALL came with 2 keys even the Chinese built Kinroad's came with 2.
All that being said it comes down to personal preference. if you just don't like the bike, sell or trade it and move on to the next one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There's lots to complain about with this bike, I'll give you that but, I got mine as a three year left over it was taken out of the creat and put in the back of my truck with .7 miles on it for $7,500.
And that was for the "deluxe" so do I have complaints, absolutely but, that price I have difficulty doing it

·
Super Moderator
5,470 Posts
I find it interesting how every bike I've known about has those who complain about its shortcomings. EVERY BIKE. The issue seems to be more that if a bike is not what a person is looking for in a bike then there are more shortcomings. If it is suited to them then there are less... if any. I've known riders of BMW who gripe about a lot of things on that bike. Same with HD, and every other brand or model. I know riders of even the venerable ST1300 who have complaints. So they move on to something else. I was very happy with my CTX1300. Much much better IMO than my previous ST1100. And way better to me than my GW was. I just found I liked the Burgman 650 just a little more and when a great deal showed up I went for it. No big deal if anyone finds the CTX1300 is not for them. Just keep looking and something will be found that is better for THAT rider. Every bike has something that is just not perfect.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Im just here to say the title of "white elephant" has been rubbing me wrong: White elephant - Wikipedia

"A white elephant is a possession which its owner cannot dispose of and whose cost, particularly that of maintenance, is out of proportion to its usefulness. In modern usage, it is an object, building project, scheme, business venture, facility, etc., considered expensive but without use or value."

possible correct title "honda unicorn"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts