CTX 1300 Forum banner

Who Knew???

7K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  sleepngbear 
#1 ·
Well this morning my dealer (in ~ central CT) called me to say his first delivery (black standard) arrived this morning. Though not mine, he knew I wanted to see this one ASAP and see specifically see how shipped as I wanted the crate from mine if available. Took a quick shower and headed there ASAP.

Turns out the crate they come in, though metal and bagged (looks like Tyvek) , are not the pricey re"CYCLE"able ones (Had to point that out ;)) Those are heavy metal and orange where as the CTXs is thin gauge and gray. The others have to go back to Honda else dealer pays $500. SO I'm be taking this crate home (after breakdown) as well as mine later on.

Moving on, I did take some good pix as the crate cover/bag was off as were the metal ends. So it was fairly open and you could see a lot. If I ever figure out how to load pix on this site :confused::( I can try to later on.
The bike is very well secured in the crate with rear tire (boy is that FAT) boxed in, Front forks axle (or just a rod) is slightly elevated and secured well to crates floor/base. Both Grips are sleeved with what looks like thick clear hose (heavy duty tygon?) and they are strapped&bolted to standoffs connected to crate top frame members. And lastly the foot pegs are also secure to base fame base. IT AIN"T MOVIN! a good thing.

OK, now to my point of all this and the above title. As I took a bunch of pix, I noticed something which really surprised me. I say that because I have never seen this before on any bike, or just wasn't aware of it having been done. And I have not heard anyone mention it yet on this site, or elsewhere. We all know Honda did a lot to keep a low C of G low on this machine. BUT guess where the Battery is? :confused: All I can say is Good Thing this bike uses all LEDs which enables a smaller Battery for such a good sized bike.:rolleyes: It is in the top left area of the fairing :eek: ...just below and toward rear relative to the left speaker!!! This area was uncovered (panel removed) so I noticed it by accident when taking pix of dash space. Since the bike only had its end panels removed just before I got there, NO set up efforts had even started. So this is how they are shipped - with battery in place there vs boxed and secured remotely in the crate. It was disconnected with cables to the side of course. Now knowing that, I'm guessing there may be some other somewhat heavy item(s) on right side in fairing :rolleyes: for proper balance. Else the left side is gonna want to preferentially lean. May be good for the side stand :p?

OK
That's all I got for now.

Oh Wait, there is more!!!
The sales manager had another surprise for me. He said he got a message from Honda this morning asking him if he wanted the Blue Gray Deluxe orderd some time ago shipped next week vs two weeks later as original told. Of course he said yes as that is my ordered one and he knows I'm getting anxious.:D He was even able to make is next order early so I don't understand why some dealers are saying they can't get or place orders for potential buyers and putting off sales they can make?

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting stuff, gadgetman.

If you have pics on your phone, you should be able to browse to the Gallery, create a new album for yourself, and load them directly to your phone. If your phone doesn't have a good browser, copy them off to your PC, and repeat the above steps from your pc. Once you have pics in a gallery album, you can link to them here in a post by right-clicking and copying the photo location.

#6 ·
Pix and stuff

I took good quality pix with a my better (though non SLR) Canon camera vs a phone. So they are fairly high data count. I'll try to do some downloads as guided above via PC in future...maybe tomorrow else later. Too many "balls in the air" right now - many personally induced priorites- plus I'm trying to complete overdue and laborious Tax stuff so I get that behind me and can concentrate on more fun stuff.

As for my delivery, he said they will ship next week (but he didn;t say what day) so maybe arrive here next Friday +/-. I'm going back (maybe Monday) to see the one from today once set up in showroom (and take the crate pieces and hardware...why is a long story ... I'll pass on for now. When there I hope to get better info on mine.

Plus the guy buying my '88 GL1500 is picking it up on 6'th and I said he can drive it home (~ 100 miles) on my plate and then mail it back. I need that plate to move to the CTX.

#8 ·
Plus the guy buying my '88 GL1500 is picking it up on 6'th and I said he can drive it home (~ 100 miles) on my plate and then mail it back. I need that plate to move to the CTX.
CAUTION: I wouldn't do that. Print or write him a bill of sale or sign the registration over to him. That should be a good "bill of sale" and that is all he needs to legally drive it home while pending his own plate. I never let anyone take my plate since I am liable for anything that happens while others may be driving with it. If he totals the bike on the way home and damages other property or people... or worse, YOU are liable at least in part for those damages and open yourself up to law suites as a result. :eek:

#7 ·
Also if you start a thread (like you did) or if you reply be sure to go to "go advanced" and you should see at the top panel a paper clip looking icon like in the screen clip I am attaching. That is the attachments option where you can browse your computer or phone photo gallery and attach photos that way right in the post. They will show up like the screen clip I attached in this post. You can attach a whole bunch in one post. Of course if your not a premium or lifetime user here you don't have as much space for attachments but there is still plenty for a lot of pics if they're not too big (file size, mb or gb).

You will have to remember to select to "upload" after choosing the file to attach... I circled the paper clippy icon in red on the screen capture. Looking forward to seeing those photos! :D

Attachments

#10 ·
This forum seems to have a short limit on space allowed for attachments compared with other forums I am on. It seems to be almost unlimited, or very large on others sites but only 50 mb here for regular members and only 100 mb for lifetime members!
Must be a cost thing.

#12 ·
The Triumph Trophy battery is very large and it is in the fairing just under the throttle grip on the right side.

That bike is very top heavy when I push it around the garage. But once it starts moving, it's the lightest and most responsive bike I've ever ridden.

#13 ·
I think the HD V-Rod battery is also in the top next to the airbox.
It seems in order to lower the seat as much as they did they couldn't put the battery behind the gas tank under the seat like on the ST1100 (which can be a bit top heavy BTW). Doesn't matter to me. I was thinking this battery was up there. I'll bet the airbox and filter are on the right side under the top shelter also. There should still be some room under there for a fuse box.

Reactions: ShadowRider
#14 ·
There should still be some room under there for a fuse box.
I hope you're right. I've been poring over what photos I have so far looking for places to mount things. As it is I will have 4 modules to install somewhere, in addition to the fuse block and relay. Two of those modules have antennas and can't be located under metal. I think I can squeeze at least one of them into the tail section behind the passenger seat. This will be an interesting challenge. I had a lot of experience disassembling the GL1200, but now will have to start all over again. And of course I want to be EXTREMELY careful not to mess up the looks of this bike in any way! :eek:

#15 ·
I understand the risks I'm taking and appreciate the advice/warnings. I've spent enough time with the buyer to feel comfortable with him (like a new friend) borrowing my plate since he's in a bind for getting it home. You can't legally ride an unregistered or uninsured vehicle in CT or MA(new buyers state) . Riding w/o a plate makes you a target to get pulled over for checking Reg. and ins card. I have informed my Ins agent of my plans. When I bought my newer Wing last fall, I drove it home (70 miles) on sellers plate PLUS he let me drive for a few weeks on his plate and ins. to become familiar with it. I was not ready to move the plate from my older wing till sold. So I appreciated the gesture , maybe I am now paying it forward a bit?

Reactions: sleepngbear
#16 ·
As deliverd Pix

Here are a few reduced pix (I hope) which I took at dealers earlier before the bike was fully uncrated for assembly & set up. The crate end plates are shown leaning on the ATV. You can see how bike is secured well and where battery is:eek:.
Hope this gets through OK as I'm just learning this stuff. This is his 1'st delivery for showroom... and is not sold yet... :rolleyes:.
Mine may get there in a week or so.:confused::cool:

Attachments

#17 ·
Those are awesome pics and in them one awesome bike -- the attention to detail in packing the bike securely in the crate is amazing!. Dammit, I still have a few months' time to way for mine :(
I guess I'll have to keep on drooling over other people's pics until then.

#19 ·
Thanks for doing the work to post those--we really appreciate it! The most useful one for me was the one showing the battery size and location. I don't know if it will make it more difficult to do the electrical installations I'm planning, but it might change the locations of some of the items I install.

As much as I would like to have some of that stuff already installed, I think I'll wait a week or two before I start tearing apart the bike. I need some time to enjoy it first!

#20 ·
Thanks for posting those pics. that explains a lot to me and gives me a few ideas. Looks like the airbox is centered since the battery is actually in the "cheek" on the left side. Wonder what is in the "cheek" on the right?
I do think there is a little room in there outboard or above the battery for a fuse box like the ones I home build... depending how that top panel sits on there. I've been able to find some really crazy places to put things in faired bikes.
Seeing how the handle bars are secured I can see why they are set so high. I still think it's Honda's spec setting for shipment and the dealers just don't understand to set them down for better view of the mirrors. That crate top does have to clear the windscreen with a little room to spare in case something penetrated past the top crate frame a little and if the bars were lower it wouldn't.

#21 ·
Due to warantee coverage,ya might wanna wait til ya get a few miles on it before adding anything,especailly involving the electrical system.The STEALERS are famous for blaming somethin you did or added to the machine that may NOT be factory equipment,claiming you caused the problem,hence no warantee.Follow me?? I've seen this a few times over the years which is why I'm mentioning it.Most of the time,the owner knows what he's doing.However,there are guys out there who I wouldn't let wash my machine.lol lol Dave!!!

#22 ·
I do agree with you Dave!!!
I prefer to ride it as it is for a while before totally settling on what I think I need to add for sure. I even do this with used bikes I buy just to be sure what I want to add and where.

#23 ·
Glad to hear some are gaining useful info or ideas from the pix. The metal frame/crate is only covered with a tyvek like cover. NO cardboard box at all. It (fabric cover) is folded up and resting on the cardboard box of another product behind the bike which you can see I pix... and now the cover it is my garage... still folded up. Dealer called a short time ago today telling me the bike is all together now and on the showroom to see. And I can sit on it to check more out ... like the mirrors. I'm going there Monday (AM or PM) to see , sit on , maybe take more pix, and load the metal packing crate pieces/sections & loose members plus fastener hardware into my truck. Mine (Blue Gray Deluxe) will ship sometime next week, but probably not be ready for pick up till early-mid following week. I'm OK with that as I have a few things to align first, plus get my older Wing Plate back form the buyer. And maybe by then we'll see more actual spring like weather here in CT. After this weekends rains I'm hoping roads will be washed and a bit cleaner as well. Hate those winter chemicals and excess sand!

#25 ·
Rain wash away chemicals and other bad stuff, but leaves lots of sand in inconvenient places for riders. One thing I do not like about this time of year. :mad:

Gadgetman, I am definitely hoping mother nature is getting all the rain out of her system this weekend -- because I should have mine by next weekend. :)

#26 ·
I hear THAT Ed.I think this is the first time in over 50 years that I have NOT been out on a two wheeler in March due to the snow,ice,and cold temps we've had this year.It's been one snow storm after the other,little melting,and a lot of ice.Plus according to records,this winter has been the coldest winter we've had here in 100 years.So we're off to a bad start.I just hope this isn't a preview of coming attractions for the rest of the year,or next,and so on. Dave!!!

#27 ·
Yeah, they stopped calling it Global Warming for obvious reasons. Now they call it Climate Change. Still a scam. But the weather this year is not normal.
I did get to ride to work 4 days this week. Mornings in the 20s most of those days and highs from 40-60+ when going home. Sure there has been some sand spread across some intersections on the side streets but I just go slow and careful through those. Highway is dry as a bone with nothing but concrete. :D
Hope it keeps getting better :D :D :D

#28 ·
No Dave, I know what's going to happen here. We're gonna go from 30's to 90's in a matter of minutes. Except for the weekends when it's gonna rain like Noah's ark. Just like the winter I bought my new snowblower and it barely snowed. I just know it.

Good Lord, that was depressing.

#29 ·
Ya Ed,I know whatcha mean.But a snowblower is like an insurance policy or a "just in case". A motorcycle,especially a new one,is like a new speed boat or a new Corvette Roadster, and all ya wanna do is drive it.So naturally,you'll have blizzards,rain storms,hurricanes,typhoons,floods,fog,below zero temps,super high heat waves,etc.etc.Ya know the routine.Now if ya had an old **IT box that ya could care less about,the weather would be perfect.I think they call it " Murphy's Law"!! lol lol Dave!!!

#30 ·
Ed, just what size snow blower did you get? I just bought a bigger one (bigger than my bold one) and we kept being dumped on every 3-4 days until a few weeks ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.