CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies, I probably should have said Hi in the introduction sections first, but ...
I currently have a Honda ST1100 with @94K on it and think it's pretty much the cat's meow. The only improvement I could think of making on it would be fuel injection and that's not really an option. I already have a trunk and extra lights, working on installing a trailer hitch, building a trailer (pretty much done), and adding cruise control. Anyway, Given my current ride, why would I want to change over to a CTX1300? :ty:

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Now why would you want a CTX1300 .... First question I would ask is, are you looking to replace your ST1100? Have you looked at similar modernized sport tourers, like the ST1300, Concourse, FJR, or any of several BMWs?

My opinion, the CTX1300 is more what I would have wanted honda to follow up the ST1100 with -- but that's just me. I loved my ST1100, but never could get used to the riding position on the ST1300. The CTX is more cruiser-like and less sport bike-like -- I.e., it's a much more relaxed ride, though it still handles better than most cruisers. If that's what you're looking for, then it would be worth your while to try to get a test ride. On the other hand, if you prefer a sportier ride, you'd be better off looking for one of the sport bike alternatives.

As for what I like about this bike, it's simple -- it's Honda's renown V-4 in that longitudinal configuration in a platform that I can actually ride all day without a steady diet of Advil. One word of caution -- if you do some research and see any of the many reviews, you'll see many reviewers pan it for the drop in power from the ST1300 application. Don't be fooled by the numbers; it may not make the same max horsepower, but it hits max torque and hp at a full 2000 rpm lower than the ST, and the torque curve is wider and flatter, all of which translates to more usable power where you're more likely to use it under normal riding conditions. In other words, you don't have to ride it like you hate it to have some serious fun with it.

I'm sure we'll have several other owners jump in here with their opinions as well. You may even get a few telling you why you should look at something else. Either way, feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to agree with SleepingBear...... I prefer a "cruiser style" of motorcycle with a more neutral riding position. The CTX 1300 delivers on that and also keeps some of the sport handling in the mix. It's not a sport bike but has a much more sporty feel and handling than other cruisers.

It really comes down to what type of position you like to be in while riding and what your expectations are when it comes to handling........if you are looking for a cruiser bike type of experience with good handling then this may be a bike you should consider.....try to get a test ride and decide for yourself. I have no regrets on my switch to this motorcycle.......

Reactions: GermanMike

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've owned two ST1100s and now I have two CTX1300s. I prefer the comfort of the CTX. As I've gotten older I've slowed down and moved from Sport/Touring to proper Touring. The CTX is a much better Touring bike than the ST1100.

The ST1100 was far better in the twisties. But on longer highway rides I got tired of hunkering forward over the handle bars. That was not a great seating position for sight seeing either.

I actually preferred the smooth response of the carburetor.

The ST1100s got pushed around quite a bit by cross winds and trucks on the interstates. The CTX is the most stable, wind-friendly bike I've ever ridden.

I've gone from the ST1100 to the GL1800 to the Trophy to the CTX. I believe the CTX is the best Tourer of the bunch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the overall perspective guys. Your past and present experience is valuable to me to get a real feel for the CTX 1300 and honestly the more I look into it the easier this decision is becoming.
Silverwinger

·
Registered
92 Posts
A problem that I have had with Many of the bikes I have owned since i was in my teens.

When I ride a bike with the pegs directly below and slightly back i develop hip cramps.

That has happened to me since I was a young rider.

The cruiser riding position does not do that to me at all, No more hip cramps.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
283 Posts
Let me pick up where westgl left off. My two previous bikes, Triumph Bonneville and BMW GS were not by any means radical sport bikes. However, they both did the same things to my arms and legs. The slight lean forward put enough pressure on my wrists that my hands went numb. And the slight bend in my legs produced cramps in my legs and feet. Chalk this up to aging, inflammation and bike ergos. The CTX 1300 solved all of these problems. Add a tall windshield, tuck your legs close to the engine and you are fully out of the wind. As mentioned previously this bike has longs legs and is rock stable. You can also push it around the garage or a parking lot with ease. Those Honda engineers clearly designed this for my current state of affairs. Oh...did I mention 3000 miles and not so much as a hiccup or a drop of oil used or leaked.....?? It just goes.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Let me pick up where westgl left off. My two previous bikes, Triumph Bonneville and BMW GS were not by any means radical sport bikes. However, they both did the same things to my arms and legs. The slight lean forward put enough pressure on my wrists that my hands went numb. And the slight bend in my legs produced cramps in my legs and feet. Chalk this up to aging, inflammation and bike ergos. The CTX 1300 solved all of these problems. Add a tall windshield, tuck your legs close to the engine and you are fully out of the wind. As mentioned previously this bike has longs legs and is rock stable. You can also push it around the garage or a parking lot with ease. Those Honda engineers clearly designed this for my current state of affairs. Oh...did I mention 3000 miles and not so much as a hiccup or a drop of oil used or leaked.....?? It just goes.
I also came from a Bonneville. I used to say I wanted a bike with the same ergos, just bigger, but after about 1500 miles I can say I prefer the CTX ergos with the feet just slightly forward instead of tucked beneath/back a bit. The fatigue I'd get from riding the Bonneville on longer stretches just doesn't happen anymore...or at least I haven't yet hit my threshold for longer rides. ;-)

I'm 38 and in pretty good shape...but I guess I just appreciate a bike that I don't have to adapt to so much as it's well-designed for my comfort. I didn't feel like any other cruiser or sport-tourer I tried was going to give that to me.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I'm 38 and in pretty good shape...but I guess I just appreciate a bike that I don't have to adapt to so much as it's well-designed for my comfort. I didn't feel like any other cruiser or sport-tourer I tried was going to give that to me.

Jeff
I've had cruisers and sport tourers, and I have to say I completely concur. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've owned a CTX 1300 for about three months and 5000 km. I loved the confort, the style so original but the 85 HP and 10 torque was frankly not enough, forcing me to ride at the same speed than the cars on the highway and IMO it's dangerous because you can't really speed up a little when you feel a risky situation coming. The fork on the CTX is way too fragile (43 mm but it seems you can change for a better oil with drastic improvements) and the rear dumpers are cruel. I couldn't stand to grin on EACH bump on the road.
So I traded my CTX for a Valkyrie F6C and all of these problems have disappeared :smileygarden_de_ban

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I've owned a CTX 1300 for about three months and 5000 km. I loved the confort, the style so original but the 85 HP and 10 torque was frankly not enough, forcing me to ride at the same speed than the cars on the highway and IMO it's dangerous because you can't really speed up a little when you feel a risky situation coming. The fork on the CTX is way too fragile (43 mm but it seems you can change for a better oil with drastic improvements) and the rear dumpers are cruel. I couldn't stand to grin on EACH bump on the road.
So I traded my CTX for a Valkyrie F6C and all of these problems have disappeared :smileygarden_de_ban
Ride what you love, and love what you ride, that's what I say. :smiley-happy0034:

Best of luck with the new scoot. :wink:

Funny story here that may or may not have a moral -- way back in the almost before time, around when I decided I could deal with the ST1300's riding position no more, I was drooling over the then new VTX's. The VTX1800 was out first, followed shortly thereafter by the VTX1300. All the scuttlebutt among people not in the know was that the VTX1800 was over-powered, top-heavy, jerky-throttled, and generally not a well-mannered machine. Unfortunately those were the ones I listened to; so I barely gave it a look when I 'settled' on a very pretty VTX1300C. Substantial, but not monstrous; just right, I thought at the time. Two years later, money was better, and that old itch for something new came a-calling, so I test-rode a VTX1800C. First corner and a flick of the throttle told those people in the know didn't know crap. About 30 minutes later I was signing the papers. That 1800 ended up being my most favorite bike at the time, which I kept for 5 years -- still a record for me.

Fast forward to about a year ago, when I first laid eyes on the F6B. Something about it just didn't quite tick, something between it looking too much like a chopped Wing and it being just plain huge. I've sat on one a few times, and it sure is comfortable (at least in the showroom), but I was never big on the Wing's footpeg position. And it's just plain huge. Then the CTX1300 came out and just swept me off my feet. The rest is history.

Or is it. Without question, the CTX has quickly risen up the ladder to replace the big VTX as my favoritest ride of all time. And while I do not foresee wanting for anything else any time soon, never say never, as they also say ... 1300, 1800 ... history could always repeat itself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I saw a crap ton of Gold Wings and a few F6Bs on my trip down to North Carolina this past week. They are really massive. Watched a guy parking an F6B in the slightly inclined parking lot at Deal's Gap at the entrance to the Dragon and it was quite a struggle -- I gathered he was new to the machine.

Though I do have to say that it's always struck me that the majority of Gold Wing riders out there make managing those machines look like a pleasure. But still, they look like cruise ships when you see one appear around the next corner.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
But still, they look like cruise ships when you see one appear around the next corner.

Jeff
I saw a big red Goldwing trike towing a trailer into the parking lot of a wayside store on Skyline Drive on Saturday, loaded with two passengers and all the lights and chrome and antennas and extra farkles that money can buy. You could almost hear the lookout yelling "ICEBERG! RIGHT AHEAD!!"

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with this post to some degree, But I do not need a Lot of extra power, the F6C has a Lot of extra power.
At least my GL1800 Goldwing does,

But i will be going for a test ride on the CTX1300, and on the F6C Valk and see which one i like best.

I may have to buy both.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My apologies, I probably should have said Hi in the introduction sections first, but ...
I currently have a Honda ST1100 with @94K on it and think it's pretty much the cat's meow. The only improvement I could think of making on it would be fuel injection and that's not really an option. I already have a trunk and extra lights, working on installing a trailer hitch, building a trailer (pretty much done), and adding cruise control. Anyway, Given my current ride, why would I want to change over to a CTX1300? :ty:
I had an ST1100 the first year it came out, a couple of Bandits (dont cringe, they're pretty nice!) a couple R1200's , give or take a Yamaha throw in a duck and a goose, and now a CTX1300 ( for a week and 600 miles ) after <mumble> hundred thousand miles and 30+ years , if its got two wheels and a handlebar I will make it work somehow.
My remorse comes with the awful specs on this bike and a learning curve on the position and attitude. But I have to say, as much as I cringe at the numbers, I smile at the ride. Its plenty torqy! I could swear that front wheel wants to leave the ground on first shift. Past 80 MPH is a little disappointing on the pickup. Im eying a power commander to help with that. I look at the specs and think "why did I buy this???" but my remorse fades when I look for an excuse to get back on it! Its just fun , and reminds me of my ST1100 back in the days when a "sport-tourer" meant a hitchhiker with a tie :)
Im getting alot of looky loui's on my tail and that pisses me off.
Its the quintessential velvet hammer with a new twist.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
You can't buy a bike on specs alone. There are so many different factors that come into play that can make a lower spec bike more enjoyable and a higher spec bike less. Numbers alone can be very misleading, and in my experience they are frequently good for nothing more than bragging rights. I'll admit I was a bit concerned when I first saw the numbers for this bike. That concern vanished the moment I got one out on the road.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought this bike without looking at the specs at all. The demo ride was enough to convince me it would be all I needed for the touring I wanted to do this year. Still happy after 20 total days of touring, numerous long day rides, and many commutes.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I bought this bike without looking at the specs at all.
I didn't even look at the specs til I had owned it for a week, haha. I had gone bike shopping with every intention of coming home with a new Valkyrie, but then the wife said she wanted to ride with me sometimes, and with the better seat and the integrated saddlebags, I looked hard at the CTX1300. When we both went to the showroom and sat on them together it was no contest. I remember riding it around in the parking lot before riding it home, and how easy and natural it felt. This bike is just awesome... but I admit that I thought the exact same thing for my previous two bikes. :)

Reactions: sleepngbear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting comments on the specs. I have issues with having little power or acceleration at certain speeds. What are the RPMs at say 75/80 in 5th gear?
One thing I really like about my ST1100 is the fact that if I need to put someone in my mirror at 75 I can (very) easily, and may even have to downshift to do it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts