CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to my local dealer last week ,, After going in numerous times to see if they will be getting them in , there answer was always not to sure . Anyway a month or so ago I was told that the owner was at an interstate convention ,where he was looking at the new models and he may order some in .

I gave him a bit of time and rang , he knew who i was straight away , not hard because apparantly i am the ONLY person who has enquired about them ,

End result was he said , if i want one he will take a deposit and order one in , but he himself is not going to order one , so he will not have a demo and none on the floor . Reasons he gave is he and other dealers he spoke to do not think it will sell , and the policy with Honda is buy it , sell it , if you get stuck with it , STIFF .

Like he said he has bought before, only for Honda, to then drop prices to below what he bought for, and he loses money trying to sell a bike he bought for more .

He does'nt think it will be a good seller , in fact he even questioned why i would want to buy it , stating that personaly he thought it was too little bike for too much money , , he said that there now even giving you the choice of tall windscreen or short screen , with a new purchase , relising it was a stuff up ,, But has he pointed out himself , where is the cruise control , heated grips , electric screen , all the goodies that come with other ESTABLISHED bikes for similar money .

Basicly he himself thinks itsgoing to be a bad seller and will be sold off at huge reductions shortly .

I feel sorry for the guy , buisness is hard enough and he seems like a genuine bloke , but i do know for a fact that the St 1300 the last models were $23000 and considered to much they could'nt sell them , so overnight they dropped them to $17000 and sold them all straight away ,, Also the gold wings , a couple of years ago overnight they knocked 10 grand of the price , to sell all the unwanted stock ,

Hence pissing of all the buyers who had paid the top dollar weeks and months before ,, not to mention guys like this dealer who got caught out with stock on the vfr , the goldwing , and the st 1300 , and he says he's not getting caught again ,

Funny enough , i asked him are you not bothered about honda penalising you for what you say , his attitude was i sell other brands they can please themselves ,

End result for me , is there is a dealer on the other side of town who has one , but i don't want to deal with that fella , and months later he still has the same bike , i can go interstate , but i'm not going to , because i do not want to buy a bike for $18 000 when i know soon they will drop the price and devalue mine even more than what happens naturaly . Plus if there own dealers do not have confidence and think its over priced , why would i buy one

The dealer i'm not going to mention who he is because i don't want to risk stirring the pot for an honest guy , they are too rare these days .

Shame really beause i did like the look of them , but without a test ride i'm just not going to do it .

Looks like i keep my rocket , or maybee go back to a thunderbird ,, who knows might even look at a fjr

Or just wait until they offer the ctx at a ridiculous price i cannot refuse .

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Oh well. Dealer is giving you all the reasons to justify doing what he did by not carrying this bike. His choice. But as you can see on this forum, there are plenty of satisfied owners -- the the bike can't be that much of a total loser. It certainly isn't the first bike Honda or anyone else has put out that's been initially received as not enough bike for the money, yet they're all out there (although I've yet to see a DN-01 on the street in actual use, but I hear they're out there too). Ultimately you're the one who needs to make the choice for yourself, not the dealer with a sad story.

If you ever get a test ride and happen to change your mind, you know where to come for more info and help. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
you also need to realize that a Deluxe CTX1300 can be had between $14,500-$14,900 dollars from volume dealers and now there is a flat $1500 in bonus cash to use for "whatever" you want (accessories, extended warranty, gear) at the dealer.

In my case, I bought at $14,897 and for that got a silky V4 fully warrantied for 5 years, with 5 years tire/wheel coverage, tall screen, center stand and 12v accessory port. I didn't do a tremendous amount of research comparing bikes at the sub $15k price range that offered electric windscreens, and cruise control, but I know that the CTX1300 can be had with OEM heated grips, so the only "real" miss in my opinion is the cruise control.

It may be true "your" dealer can't make money on them, but like I said, there are volume dealers who do, and have a large inventory of them. Southern Honda Powersports is the largest Honda dealer in America and are located in Chattanooga. Might want to give them a call.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Kind of hard to test ride at any dealer in the States when @coneye is from Australia.
I do understand the frustration... and the reluctance to work with a bum dealer too.
Different market areas have different emphasis on what will sell or won't sell. Sometimes that's perceived by the dealer, true or not, sometimes valid per prior results. Over here there are areas where buyers are really picky and need all the newest electrical fancy gizmos on the bike before they'll even consider, and other areas where a basic bike with 2 wheels and a motor is all that's needed to sell. I am one who wanted the ABS. Not because I've ever had it before and really know I need it but it does seem to bring a bit of peace of mind should I ever mess up emergency braking. All the other gizmos on the Deluxe are bonus to me and I would have bought my model even without them. I guess you, coneye, will be left to wonder if this is worth the price from any dealer or find someone who finally gets one on hand to allow you test it. Other bikes are good too, and if you're happy with your Rocket then it should do well for you for now anyway. Wish the environment over there was more friendly with Honda dealerships and Honda Corp., or at least that this model would be seen as more popular by the dealers there.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
reminder to tell coneye to put his location in his profile :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm also in Australia, and had to hunt around to find a demo bike, but was worth the trouble.
I don't know what dealer you went to, but as far as I know the base model isn't being imported to Australia and the $18,000 you where quoted is for what is being sold in the US as the Deluxe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your loss...great bike....enough said....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also in Australia, and had to hunt around to find a demo bike, but was worth the trouble.
I don't know what dealer you went to, but as far as I know the base model isn't being imported to Australia and the $18,000 you where quoted is for what is being sold in the US as the Deluxe.
Hunter Valley thats NSW is'nt it ,,, I'm in south Aust ,, If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the bike plus orc

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's ok. Quote was $19000 on road and they took another $1000 of because mine was used as the display bike at the Sydney bike show.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your dealer sounds like the one I talked with in Fayetteville. So I went to Lumberton, NC to purchase mine. They gave me a great deal and I have been happy with it. The dealer in Fayetteville said the same thing to me as your dealer said to you. The bike is riding great, I love it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best way around this it to see where the closest

"Honda Powerhouse Dealer" is to you.

Google; Honda PowerHouse dealer locations

as they usually have every model in every color on the floor ready to go, or at least one in the back, ready for assembly, call them first to see what the have available.

If they are a little ways away from you make an appointment.

Best way to get the model and color you want.

Also best way to test ride what you are looking for, they can be a little more flexible as there volume is MUCH Higher than the local mom & pop honda dealer

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My wife had a vtx1300 and liked it. Her friend got a CTX1300 and raved about the performance. So my wife got a CTX1300 based on her friends review. She loves her bike so much that we will definitely be riding on the weekends when its 30+ degrees outside. Weather is not a factor when you are in love. I have a FJR1300 and we love to go curve riding every weekend. 80 mph in a 45mph curve is like being on a roller coaster for both bikes. She loves her CTX1300

·
Registered
764 Posts
I hope it's a good bike because I just bought a slightly used one sight unseen on the internet without getting to ever test ride one.
I bought my first CTX1300 over the phone from a dealer a couple hundred miles away. I had never even laid eyes on one. I was happy enough with the bike that I bought another one.

It's a good bike. Congratulations on your new bike!

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I hope it's a good bike because I just bought a slightly used one sight unseen on the internet without getting to ever test ride one.
I'm wishing you as much happiness as I've had with it. I can't have two because the wife already talks about "My Girl" like she is the other woman.

Did you find out the reason the other owner is selling?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. At least I got to see and sit on one before I bought it over the phone. Don't really know the full story behind this one, but someone bought it and wanted to get rid of it. The dealer took it on consignment. Didn't get the color I preferred, but I think I got a good deal. I can't wait to go get it in May. In the meantime, I am figuring out what tailbox I want to put on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts