CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized for the first time the other day how wimpy the ctx horn is when a typical jerk cut me off in traffic. We need a manlier horn! I think Bob has written about this before. Any
more ideas?

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thats about the 2nd thing I noticed and I was like "Really?"....

I wanted to look into a GW horn for this bike but haven't investigated how hard or easy it might be to install one.

This dam bike's horn sounds like a FKN scooter !

:mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
HEY! my wife rides a scooter!...

And you're right. The CTX stock horn, and the stock horn on my ST1100 for that matter, sound very similar to her scooter :eek:
I also didn't like my GW horn either so added dual trumpet air horns to that. I added a Stebel Nautilus air horn to my ST1100. Both of those worked great!
On the CTX I couldn't find a good place to fit my Nautilus under the body work and didn't want it hanging on the outside Like I did with my GW so opted to go with a much better disc horn. Just a little disappointed since I've not heard anything for a bike as loud as my Nautilus. My first attempt failed since I didn't go with the official Fiamm Freeway Blaster but the older version. Turned out to be a dud. I remember seeing the local Auto Zone had an off brand of these horns that advertised 132dB, just what I was looking for so I picked up a low tone, since the low tone will travel farther and penetrate more into the sound deadening cages around me. Decided to buy local since I could try it out while I was still at the store to ensure it was working. Works as advertised! CLICK HERE to see the install. I saw the packaging yesterday sitting around the garage still and realized the horn I bought was not a Blaster brand but is a Blazer International Highway Blaster. But it is loud and catches the attention of even some big trucks :D :smiley-happy0034:

I mounted both the stock and Blazer horns since that is how I've always done (keep the stock horn connected for a back up just in case). Found even the stock horn is just a little louder when on a dedicated circuit just for the horn. But not as loud as the Blazer.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Thats about the 2nd thing I noticed and I was like "Really?"....

I wanted to look into a GW horn for this bike but haven't investigated how hard or easy it might be to install one.

This dam bike's horn sounds like a FKN scooter !

:mad:
It's pretty easy to replace the stock horn. You can find one that's plenty loud and more 'serious' sounding almost anywhere that won't require a new relay and all the wiring headache that goes with it. The horn itself is mounted with just one bolt under the triple tree clamp, it's accessible, and there's a fair bit of room under there to fit alternatives.

I was lucky enough to have a spare left over from a swap I had to do on the Triumph. It's more car like is size, sound and volume, and uses the same connectors as stock. I had to bend its mounting bracket a bit to position it where it would point in the right direction without rattling against anything else. I'll bet you can find something similar in any auto parts store -- any basic replacement car horn will be louder than out stock beep-beep, and should be a mostly direct swap.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty easy to replace the stock horn. You can find one that's plenty loud and more 'serious' sounding almost anywhere that won't require a new relay and all the wiring headache that goes with it. The horn itself is mounted with just one bolt under the triple tree clamp, it's accessible, and there's a fair bit of room under there to fit alternatives.

I was lucky enough to have a spare left over from a swap I had to do on the Triumph. It's more car like is size, sound and volume, and uses the same connectors as stock. I had to bend its mounting bracket a bit to position it where it would point in the right direction without rattling against anything else. I'll bet you can find something similar in any auto parts store -- any basic replacement car horn will be louder than out stock beep-beep, and should be a mostly direct swap.
That sounds like the winning idea sleeping bear. I just went out my garage to look for the horn for the first time - you are right on all counts. Simple job. I'll be looking for a new horn pronto. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
My only issue with just replacing with a beefier horn is that the horn circuit is shared with at least 2 other electrical components for the engine. This may not be an issue since the fuse is 10 amps and it is designed this way, but when I connected the factory horn to my dedicated wires from the battery (only the horn on the circuit and nothing else) it did seem louder. Not enough to settle for just the factory horn but still louder than the way Honda has it wired. Of course I was using slightly bigger gauge wires (18ga instead of the 20ga Honda uses). Maybe it was just my impression but it did seem like it. As Ed said, it is a very easy replacement with the mount located easy to get to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts