CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Just brought home my new to me CTX today. Had a 80mi highway ride to my place and the bike ran fine but the wind buffeting was worse than any bike I have ever been on. This bike is equipped with the tall Honda windshield. Is this common for this bike? Bike was being pushed all over the lane and the wind noise was crazy loud....even with a full face helmet! I have had 3 Harley touring bikes and a Yamaha FZ1 and never seen anything like this. Possibly need a taller windshield? I don't know but if this is how it handles the highway I may be looking for a different bike:(

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tall Honda shield puts wind at the top of the face shield on my helmet at 70-80mph. I’m 6’1”. Lots of buffeting. But good protection in the rain. I ended up putting the factory shorty back on a couple summers ago. That was sufficient to keep wind off my chest but have my full head in clean air. Have since bought a Puig windscreen, which again keeps air off my chest and shoulders, and the blast hits me kinda in the low to middle part of the helmet. Helps keep me cooler in our scorching south Texas heat. For me, it’s a good compromise between comfort and protection. And it looks freakin’ awesome, IMHO !!!

Now, as for you stating you were getting pushed all over the lane ... all I can say is this is*by far* the most stable bike on the highway that I have ever ridden. Much less affected by semi-truck wind blasts - either in passing opposite directions or while overtaking / trailing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had the honda tall and had the same problem , I am 5'7" 30"inseam and switched to the givi ( after reading some posts) the givi is only 1.5" taller a litte wider. Solved my problem love it now.
pete

·
Registered
53 Posts
@greger9213 - I never had buffeting problems with the tall Honda shield. I'm 5'11" with a riding style that had me closer to the tank, perhaps a bit more tucked in than some others. I like to ride with my face shield open, which was comfy on that bike due to the clean air over the windshield. With my face shield up, I could listen to the radio over the stock speakers at 60 -65 mph. I never had a reason to even think of changing shields. And it was super stable. Something is not right with yours perhaps

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glen Chapman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had the honda tall and had the same problem , I am 5'7" 30"inseam and switched to the givi ( after reading some posts) the givi is only 1.5" taller a litte wider. Solved my problem love it now.
pete
I'm 5'9 with 30 in inseam so maybe I should try going to that windshield....Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@greger9213 - I never had buffeting problems with the tall Honda shield. I'm 5'11" with a riding style that had me closer to the tank, perhaps a bit more tucked in than some others. I like to ride with my face shield open, which was comfy on that bike due to the clean air over the windshield. With my face shield up, I could listen to the radio over the stock speakers at 60 -65 mph. I never had a reason to even think of changing shields. And it was super stable. Something is not right with yours perhaps

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk
I don't know maybe...but it was not a very pleasant ride home 😒

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
82 Posts
but the wind buffeting was worse than any bike I have ever been on
When I got my CTX 1300 a couple months back I found the same issue. My head and helmet were being buffeted far too much for my comfort. Some on this forum suggested getting a windscreen spoiler to deflect the wind a bit better. I ended up getting a cheaper one on Amazon and it has worked very well for me and has greatly reduced the buffeting.

This is the one I ended up getting and it has worked well so far. Amazon LINK

Thanks,
James

·
Super Moderator
5,641 Posts
My own experience is that this bike was the absolute best at wind management. I've never had any "buffeting" as it is defined (like being in a boxing match being hit alternately left then right with over sized puffy padded boxing gloves). But I did have a very strong straight line wind STREAM coming off the shorty windscreen that I originally had on mine. This was the ONLY bike I've every had that. With that shorty screen a very strong but very smooth wind stream hit me right in the chest. I really wasn't uncomfortable with it but didn't want to have that for a long distance ride. I'm about 5'9" with 32" inseam (short waisted) so didn't sit all that tall off the saddle. When I first brought my CTX home I rode 145 miles due south with a 35 mph constant wind out of the east and 45 mph gusts. The bike seemed to ignore the wind completely as far as THE BIKE being blown around. Even passing 18 wheelers didn't effect the bike anything like I was expecting. I'm not saying I didn't feel the wind. I did. But the bike handled like there was a dead calm. The tall shield put the slip stream just over my visor at the top of my helmet... just where I wanted it to make the top vents work right.

I've felt severe buffeting on a bike before and this wasn't anything like that. I've also owned a Gold Wing GL1500 that I had outfitted to provide an almost dead calm for the rider. The problem I had with the GW was that I ended up looking through the windshield. I vowed I would never again own a bike where I had to do that. Putting on a wing/spoiler is the way to go to bump the breeze up over the helmet on a tall shield. It should be able to be adjusted with an angle to elevate the slip stream yet still allow you to look over it.

You must have been riding on a particularly windy day. Wind noise is usually more about the helmet than any wind management of the bike. Having been in the military working right next to running jets, as in being close enough to warm my hands in the jet exhaust (yeah, I did that with A7 jets) while it was at idle. I want to eliminate as much excess noise as possible. Most of what I noted on any bike I've ridden is the road noise way more than wind noise. So I found what ear plugs work best for me and use them almost every ride. Besides, my BT headset sounds way better with the ear plugs in and the sound turned up just a little.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I agree with Bob. The CTX is the best bike I ever rode in wind ! Some of the winds we've had this spring will move any bike around. The CTX was the most stable bike I can remember.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My own experience is that this bike was the absolute best at wind management. I've never had any "buffeting" as it is defined (like being in a boxing match being hit alternately left then right with over sized puffy padded boxing gloves). But I did have a very strong straight line wind STREAM coming off the shorty windscreen that I originally had on mine. This was the ONLY bike I've every had that. With that shorty screen a very strong but very smooth wind stream hit me right in the chest. I really wasn't uncomfortable with it but didn't want to have that for a long distance ride. I'm about 5'9" with 32" inseam (short waisted) so didn't sit all that tall off the saddle. When I first brought my CTX home I rode 145 miles due south with a 35 mph constant wind out of the east and 45 mph gusts. The bike seemed to ignore the wind completely as far as THE BIKE being blown around. Even passing 18 wheelers didn't effect the bike anything like I was expecting. I'm not saying I didn't feel the wind. I did. But the bike handled like there was a dead calm. The tall shield put the slip stream just over my visor at the top of my helmet... just where I wanted it to make the top vents work right.

I've felt severe buffeting on a bike before and this wasn't anything like that. I've also owned a Gold Wing GL1500 that I had outfitted to provide an almost dead calm for the rider. The problem I had with the GW was that I ended up looking through the windshield. I vowed I would never again own a bike where I had to do that. Putting on a wing/spoiler is the way to go to bump the breeze up over the helmet on a tall shield. It should be able to be adjusted with an angle to elevate the slip stream yet still allow you to look over it.

You must have been riding on a particularly windy day. Wind noise is usually more about the helmet than any wind management of the bike. Having been in the military working right next to running jets, as in being close enough to warm my hands in the jet exhaust (yeah, I did that with A7 jets) while it was at idle. I want to eliminate as much excess noise as possible. Most of what I noted on any bike I've ridden is the road noise way more than wind noise. So I found what ear plugs work best for me and use them almost every ride. Besides, my BT headset sounds way better with the ear plugs in and the sound turned up just a little.
Thanks for your reply Bob! On my ride yesterday it was somewhat windy....17mph with maybe 25mph gusts....not near what you experienced. I'll just have to get more miles on it and see how it goes. Possibly try taller windshield or deflector.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Second vote for these spoilers... This is what has worked for me on different bikes - inexpensive an adjustable.

View attachment 46689
I've been riding with this X-creen on a tall windshield for years now. Once I adjusted the X to a few inches below my line of sight, I've had not any problems with buffeting. Like others say, my machine rides smooth through all but the worst wind. Hardly notice passing a semi...other than those huge singing tires. :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been riding with this X-creen on a tall windshield for years now. Once I adjusted the X to a few inches below my line of sight, I've had not any problems with buffeting. Like others say, my machine rides smooth through all but the worst wind. Hardly notice passing a semi...other than those huge singing tires. :eek:
Honda tall windshield and the X-creen works great for me also. I'm 5'9" 30 " inseam too.
Honda tall windshield and the X-creen works great for me also. I'm 5'9" 30 " inseam too.
Are you using the x-creen sport or the x-creen touring?...Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wind buffeting with the tall windscreen or wind battering with the short windscreen. Both are solved with a Madstad windscreen. You can set the angle of the screen for a clean bubble of air or angle it back for more air on your face for cooling or blowing raindrops off your face shield. It not only works flawlessly but it also gives you a clean view over the windscreen, not through, without the clutter of a deflector. I've toured all over the western states with this windscreen and have been very relaxed while doing so. I, too, had wind issues with this bike initially, but this windscreen transformed the bike for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
Just brought home my new to me CTX today. Had a 80mi highway ride to my place and the bike ran fine but the wind buffeting was worse than any bike I have ever been on. This bike is equipped with the tall Honda windshield. Is this common for this bike? Bike was being pushed all over the lane and the wind noise was crazy loud....even with a full face helmet! I have had 3 Harley touring bikes and a Yamaha FZ1 and never seen anything like this. Possibly need a taller windshield? I don't know but if this is how it handles the highway I may be looking for a different bike:(
Low tire pressure perhaps? I've had no complaints about mine since I went back to full-face helmet. The stock windshield is a bad joke.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts