CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Still hunting for the ideal CTX1300 for me. Going to look at one later today that has the Honda touring windshield.

I really want a Goldwing-like bubble if at all possible and suspect at 6'1" even this tall Touring screen isnt going to offer it. I know there aren't a plethora of options for this one year wonder so I am thinking that an MRA X-Creen deflector might get me where I want to be.....Anyone been down this path?

Craig

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,996 Posts
Welcome @craigmrict
There are several here who have used that very thing on the Honda tall screen who are also as tall as you. It is reported to do just what you want. I would recommend the touring version vs the sport (those are the two kinds available). I was tempted to get one to put on the shorty screen as at least one member has done but went with the Honda tall screen instead.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Am 6' 0". Have Honda Tall windshield plus X-creen tour. Goldwing-like bubble achieved for 53,000 miles and six years now. Couldn't be better.

Search for X-creen on this site to learn more about this equipment and other alternatives.

·
Registered
143 Posts
6 foot with Honda tall and a knock off copy of clip on screen that is working so far haven't had it a long time only short highway runs under an hour. It's debatable to need it or not, definitely less helmet buff but wasn't horrible without. If you plan on doing 6+ hours on the highway it might help a little.

Here is my take, don't worry about the screen, I would buy a cleaner bike with the short windshield if price was right the tall is cheap enough. If you like the engine trans and the ergonomics in general buy you the color you like, the deluxe can be had for a price not much over standard. I bought standard with oem sound system added. Probably and old guy thing but liked the silver wheels just as much as black and never had abs.

Get the bike adjusted to fit what feels good to you. That starts with seat change by adding a backrest, or full custom of your choice that part will get your knees right. Adjust handle bars to get your back in a comfortable spot. Now worry about what you feel across the windshield, certainly cheapest change.

·
Registered
23 Posts
6 foot with Honda tall and a knock off copy of clip on screen that is working so far haven't had it a long time only short highway runs under an hour. It's debatable to need it or not, definitely less helmet buff but wasn't horrible without. If you plan on doing 6+ hours on the highway it might help a little.

Here is my take, don't worry about the screen, I would buy a cleaner bike with the short windshield if price was right the tall is cheap enough. If you like the engine trans and the ergonomics in general buy you the color you like, the deluxe can be had for a price not much over standard. I bought standard with oem sound system added. Probably and old guy thing but liked the silver wheels just as much as black and never had abs.

Get the bike adjusted to fit what feels good to you. That starts with seat change by adding a backrest, or full custom of your choice that part will get your knees right. Adjust handle bars to get your back in a comfortable spot. Now worry about what you feel across the windshield, certainly cheapest change.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am 6 foot tall. I tried the tall Honda factory windshield, and found it inadequate for my preferences. I tried a Puig windshield and thought it sloped back to much. I went to the Gustafsson Plastics windshield, which they cut to a height of 22 inches for me. It works great. I recommend it.
How does the Gus do in the wind, passing a truck @90mph. My Puig is rock solid, but the wind hits the face shield. Bad for cruising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Gustafsson Plastics is effective and solid on my CTX 1300 at all speeds. I only rode with my Puig for one trip of a couple of hours. I found the Puig not to keep the wind from my face at any speed, again because of the way it sloped back. I found the tall Honda OEM to afford better wind protection than the Puig. My preferential riding is cruising....travelling for several days and weeks, and the 22" tall Gustafsson Plastics works for me quiet well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Gustafsson Plastics is effective and solid on my CTX 1300 at all speeds. I only rode with my Puig for one trip of a couple of hours. I found the Puig not to keep the wind from my face at any speed, again because of the way it sloped back. I found the tall Honda OEM to afford better wind protection than the Puig. My preferential riding is cruising....travelling for several days and weeks, and the 22" tall Gustafsson Plastics works for me quiet well.
You are correct about the Puig. I road up to St.Augustine to check out the Gustafsson, but they were closed. I had a 96GW with the tall windshield. Under powered and the cross wind and trucks blew me all over. May have to check on the one linked. Looked like it had a small flip to miss face shield. Can you see over the 22" @ 6'0"?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It does have a flip, but it would probably provide enough wind break without it. Mostly I am !ooking through the wind screen in my most comfortable sitting/riding position on the bike. I can stretch and look over it with ease. I think they will cut to as low as 14 inches as a special order, but I am not sure. If you decide to speak.with them I would be curious to know what heights they will custom build so I can pass along that information if asked. Post again if you find out. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For what it's worth, my bike came with the Puig and because of the (unnecessary) rake it has, it was not tall enough. I just replaced it with the Honda touring screen, which is still too short for what I like, (I'm 6'2"), so I use one of those extenders and it works great, no wind noise. It's cheaper one I bought on Amazon but had it on my BMW GS1200 and it's been great for over two years.

By the way, I'll be posting the Puig, Dark Smoke Screen for sale soon, but let me know if you have any interest, (Shipping will be from Las Vegas).
Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Puig is definitely not what most would consider a “touring” shield. Does a better job at taking wind off the upper chest/neck area than the factory shorty, but not as good as the Honda tall (BTW - I am 6’1”). The Puig is more of a “sport” shield. Less pressure in the chest area, head mostly still in clean air. Offers decent protection from rain, etc. Mostly, the bike looks dam*ed good with it on! Rode a week-long, 3,000+ mile trip with the Honda tall, and this last year with the Puig. Both were acceptable to me - because I realize the pros and cons of each shield. But, of the three, I keep the Puig on 100% of the time now. Just my choice. Others, such as original poster here, want pretty much out of the wind, which will require a different shield. As for me - if I wanted to ride behind a bubble out of the wind, the electric blue F150 will do that marvelously! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: t star and Stlburd2

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Puig is definitely not what most would consider a “touring” shield. Does a better job at taking wind off the upper chest/neck area than the factory shorty, but not as good as the Honda tall (BTW - I am 6’1”). The Puig is more of a “sport” shield. Less pressure in the chest area, head mostly still in clean air. Offers decent protection from rain, etc. Mostly, the bike looks dam*ed good with it on! Rode a week-long, 3,000+ mile trip with the Honda tall, and this last year with the Puig. Both were acceptable to me - because I realize the pros and cons of each shield. But, of the three, I keep the Puig on 100% of the time now. Just my choice. Others, such as original poster here, want pretty much out of the wind, which will require a different shield. As for me - if I wanted to ride behind a bubble out of the wind, the electric blue F150 will do that marvelously! :giggle:
Yeah, that’s a fair assessment of both screens. The Puig does look good.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 1300
12 Posts
I just recently purchased a CTX 1300 (also have a 07 VTX 1300) and have been looking at replacing my tall Honda windshield with a wider and taller aftermarket one. I am 5'8" and find that despite the OEM windshield doing well at deflecting the air, I would like more of the Gold Wing "air bubble" effect. I'm getting too old for the wind noise and buffeting on longer rides, which is one reason I bought the CTX. I've seen on older posts a Cee Bailey windshield and the recent posts on the Puig and the Gustafsson windshields. These all appear wider and taller that the tall OEM Honda one I have, and recent comments on the Puig have steered me towards the Gustafsson option. I was wondering if anyone knows if Cee Bailey still makes windshields for the CTX or if anyone has compared the two.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Ken

Cee Bailey quit making anything for motorcycles or any other vehicle. They only make stuff for airplanes now.

Another option to consider is the MRA X-creen Tour. They make a Tour model and a Sport model. The Tour model is the right one for the CTX1300. It's a deflector/wing that mounts on the top edge of the shield and will deflect wind over your helmet. You can get them with the clamp attachment option or bolt-on option or both. Many owners here have them and also many owners of other bike's I am associated with have them. If you have the Honda tall shield, instead of the shorty 4 inch shield, this would be ideal. I've found with my Gold Wing and several other bikes I've owned that it's not so much wind from the sides as it is wind over the top. I can't stand to look through any shield and the X-creen would deflect the air more than high enough and yet still allow you to look over it. The slots/vents in the Honda tall shield prevent back wash of the air so your back doesn't get beat up. I actually did have that issue with my Gold Wing until I got the right screen for it.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 1300
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Ken

Cee Bailey quit making anything for motorcycles or any other vehicle. They only make stuff for airplanes now.

Another option to consider is the MRA X-creen Tour. They make a Tour model and a Sport model. The Tour model is the right one for the CTX1300. It's a deflector/wing that mounts on the top edge of the shield and will deflect wind over your helmet. You can get them with the clamp attachment option or bolt-on option or both. Many owners here have them and also many owners of other bike's I am associated with have them. If you have the Honda tall shield, instead of the shorty 4 inch shield, this would be ideal. I've found with my Gold Wing and several other bikes I've owned that it's not so much wind from the sides as it is wind over the top. I can't stand to look through any shield and the X-creen would deflect the air more than high enough and yet still allow you to look over it. The slots/vents in the Honda tall shield prevent back wash of the air so your back doesn't get beat up. I actually did have that issue with my Gold Wing until I got the right screen for it.
The MRA X-creen Tour definitely looks like a sturdy, well made option. I looked at some reviews of knock-offs on Amazon and other sites and see frequent complaints of the plastic attachments breaking and wobbling of the shield at highway speed. That said, the MRA is quite pricey, especially compared to a full windshield Gustafsson replacement. I am considering one of the Amazon knock-offs for $50 just to see what the air flow change will be.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 1300
12 Posts
For what it's worth, my bike came with the Puig and because of the (unnecessary) rake it has, it was not tall enough. I just replaced it with the Honda touring screen, which is still too short for what I like, (I'm 6'2"), so I use one of those extenders and it works great, no wind noise. It's cheaper one I bought on Amazon but had it on my BMW GS1200 and it's been great for over two years.

By the way, I'll be posting the Puig, Dark Smoke Screen for sale soon, but let me know if you have any interest, (Shipping will be from Las Vegas).
View attachment 47831 View attachment 47832
What knock-off brand of the extender did you try?

·
Registered
2014 CTX 1300
12 Posts
Is the 22" the standard model on their website with an exposed windshield height of 15", or do you have a 22" exposed height which would have been a special order I am assuming?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts