CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to install hyperlites on the back of my bags, giving me additional running and brake lights. But how to run the wire from the body to each bag watertight without making extra work when I want to remove the bag?

I figure to run the two #20 wires in red wire flex conduit and clips with adhesive backing cable inside the bags. Could run the conduit all the way from under the seat to the light. But I want to install quick disconnectors for each pair for removing the bag. And if I pull the wire out of the conduit, can I easily push it back through, maybe by pulling a string thru as I pull out? And how do I seal the holes in the bags and body, yet still pull out the wires? Grommets?

I dunno how the water flows around those areas at speed, as I'm always busy at the time. I'm sure there's a standard way to do this. In fact Honda puts a 12v connector in a bag. I just want to do this the right and proven way.

I await your kind and generous instruction. :ty:

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Check out the third photo in my thread on installing the 12v socket in my right saddlebag. I used a 16ga wire pair from under the seat to inside the saddlebag going through a small grommet. I sheathed the wire pair with heat shrink tubing from behind the plastic under the seat into where you can see it with an extra layer just where it passes through the grommet. I have a connector under the seat (actually in the space for the OEM 12v option mount) where I disconnect when I remove the saddlebag so I don't have to pull the wire pair out at all. I added the connectors on the inside end of the wires after threading through the grommet, but you can do that at the other end as well. Just make connections at one end and then thread the wires and add connections at the other end. 20ga wire works well for LED lights and allows for a smaller grommet. I made the hole in the saddlebag only a little bigger than one wire and then made it oval since there would be a pair of wires. I adjusted from there until the grommet JUST fit in tightly. That made the grommet into an oval that fits very close to the wires. I've never had any water get past this (and I've been in some real gully washers since putting that in). Just one of many possible ideas.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got the rear hyperlites and also purchased the license plate bracket. I snaked the wires through the rear fender and tapped in to the cluster under the rear part of the seat. These things really shoot visibility when you hit the brakes. Just make sure you program them to flash continuously when on the brakes rather than a single flash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts