CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Photos HERE.

Was a great trip. Total miles = 789. One way there = 290 miles and back = 280 miles. Rode a few trips around the area while there, 98 miles Friday and 121 miles Saturday (I know it's not as many miles as some here go in one 4 day trip but I enjoy just hanging at the camp too). Steve (@ShadowRider) and Todd (@CheesyRider) showed up. Todd went on the group ride Saturday. Forgot to grab some photos while they were there. I'm not all that good about photos and miss many good shots. Was very cool each morning but also very dry Friday and Saturday mornings. Just a burst of rain as I started setting up my tent and then no rain the rest of the weekend! VERY foggy Sunday morning so delayed departure until it cleared. I know from other times at this campground any fog is usually limited to just around the river so getting 3-4 miles away and it would be clear. Waited anyway. Saw one large doe jump across a curvy road on Saturday maybe 60 ft in front of me. I was leading one other rider who missed the photo op. I did brake for the forest rat but really wasn't a close call due to tight curves slowing me down before that. Was still just a little pucker factor since it was suddenly there as I came around the curve and I was looking for its friends to follow. On the way home a medium sized bird buzzed in from the right, missed my shield and smacked into me just below my right shoulder. Felt a significant punch and the dark object flew past my helmet after the strike. I imagine the foul didn't live to tell the story since it was a head on collision for it. The Driftless area is great for riding (north eastern Iowa, north western Illinois, southern Wisconsin, south eastern Minnesota). Half way home we run out of the curvy roads and find lots and lots of central Iowa roads laid out in the typical plains farm grid pattern... go straight south for some miles, then turn right and go straight west for some miles... repeat. Have to travel away from the middle of the state to get to the really interesting roads on the west or east along the big rivers. Loess Hills area is also great riding in western Iowa. Maybe a camp trip out there in May :D

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I discovered that the road between Spring Green and Dodgeville (where House on the Rock and Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin are located) is the best stretch of road I have ever ridden--at least in daylight. Smooth, decent speed limit, sections with some fun curves that are not too challenging, just right. I loved it.

Coming back to my motel at night was not nearly as much fun. Pitch black, no lights on the side of the road for 95% of the distance. But I was really glad for the amazing headlights on the CTX, which let me see for a long way ahead of me. And the road was well-marked. I'm glad I remembered which road my motel was on, because data service in that area was practically non-existent and my GPS was useless.

The weather both days was PERFECT (once the rain in Chicago stopped around 9:00 AM on Saturday). I don't think I've enjoyed a ride so much in years. Thanks to Bob for letting us know about this event. It was great to meet everyone there, especially Bob, who has done so much for this forum.

Reactions: bob

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are too kind. If you thought that road was good you should head west on 60 from Spring Green. I take that going home. Between Spring Green and Prairie du Chien that road is fantastic and mostly follows the Wisconsin River. There are also many other great roads in the area if you keep to only county highways. Some not so smooth but lots of curves and beautiful views. Easy to be distracted by the view to make it difficult to run the curves very fast so I usually slow down. I like to look around. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like a fun ride. Someday I will get into touring and enjoy the open road. Right now we are only taking short day trips. We are planning a weekend ride along the coast next year but we will be staying in hotels!

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HERE is a video taken by the rider who bought my old ST showing how foggy it was Sunday morning... day of departure. This was the only fog encountered during the entire trip. All other mornings were clear and dry.

HERE is another video showing a bit of the ride home on a very straight central Iowa highway (no traffic in sight for miles and miles of course).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I thought about coming, but it would have taken me 22 hours of constant driving to get there. Looked like a good time though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts