CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One good day of friends and amazing weather ended not too well today...
Saw a deer slightly too late, and instead of risking hitting it, I dumped the bike onto its left side.

Damage is pretty much all cosmetic though, shift pedal is broken, left mirror missing (just the glass), decent bit of broken plastic in the front, and scuffing on the exhaust. Saddle bag is also scraped quite a bit.

As for me, I'm out of commission from riding for a while (partially cause I don't have $$ to fix the bike right now). My left knee and ankle are the worst of my injuries. Knee isn't too bad, but my ankle is pretty difficult to walk on. My thumb is the worst on my hand, good chunk of skin peeled back by the nail.

Overall, I'm good, I was able to drive her home, rode perfectly, no wobble and rode extremely smooth, nothing rattling or falling off.

I'm not going to post photos, as I already have personal issues, thinking about this more is just dragging me down...

My outlook is still positive, and I hope to have many more miles on the bike once I get her fixed up :)

· Premium Member
264 Posts
Wow!!! That is some bad news, but good thing is your not hurt any worse than you are. Glad to hear your okay. Hand in there and keep your head up. Your bike can be fixed back as good as new again. I hate deer! They're pretty thick around here where I love too. I think we should have open deer season for hunters for about 5 years straight or so to get the over population down.

· Registered
82 Posts
Well, that's the worst of my fears right there; the unexpected. Hang in there, it could have been worse. I'm just grateful you are able to tell us about it. The bike can be fixed. The other, not always so. Glad to hear you're okay - aside from some bumps & bruises...

Reactions: Reidion

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Ditto- glad you are relatively OK. The bike is just hardware. Sorry to hear of it anyway, but...

Hope all is fixed up good soon and you are ready to ride again sooner.

It always spooks me when I see those forest rats. Been close more times than I like. So far I've avoided such a direct interaction with them... so far.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
@Reidion,
Although it hurts, as long as you can walk away on your own, it is ok.
Glad you are ok. Just remember that place, the deer is going to have a 2nd chance at you.
I know you worked it out, but how did you shift with the pedal broken? or enough of it left to use?
Also glad you not letting it get you down. It will make you more careful and watching the sides of the road more in the future, or at least it has me.

· Registered
432 Posts
The very best to you on your physical and emotional recovery!

I can empathize, having once threaded a Yamaha Special II through a gathering of elk on WA Hwy 3 in the fog...at night. Always been amazed I lived.

...then again...maybe I didn't and this is all a dream....:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

But keep on ducking. Here in NW Iowa I respect deer, but during Spring planting and Fall harvest, I'm more concerned with not impacting something big and green and becoming a "Hon-Deere":(

In any case, do see a doctor to ensure all your integral parts are still in close formation:wink:

Best regards and wishes for a speedy recovery.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
As others said, good on you for surviving your crash relatively intact. You first, motorcycle later.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Reidion
I know you worked it out, but how did you shift with the pedal broken? or enough of it left to use?
There was enough of it left, barely. It broke at the pedal part of it, so pretty much just the metal under the rubber broke off. Clutch lever got bent too, that was more difficult to use than the broken shifter XD

· Registered
229 Posts
Sorry hear of your misfortune,luckily we here in Cornwall (South West of England)are not usually bothered too much with deer.Probably wil be a bit nervous the next time you ride the same highway.
Are you not able to claim from your insurance?
All the best Melv

· Premium Member
221 Posts
Reidion;

Don't worry about the bike, take care of yourself. I'm glad, as others have said that you are OK. Hang in there, and focus on what's important right now.

keep us up on your progress.

· Premium Member
97 Posts
Glad to hear that you are in relatively good shape following your deer encounter. As others have said, the bike can be fixed. Hopefully your healing will be rapid and complete. Best of luck.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone... Physically, I could be worse. My ankle is sprained pretty bad, it's very difficult to walk... (I got ice and pain killers until doc appointment Monday). My knee feels a lot better this morning, so not really concerned about that.

My thumb on the other hand (hah...) still hurts, a lot... but I think it's stopped most of its bleeding, so should be ok.

As far as insurance goes, most likely no, or I'm not entirely sure... I will probably have to call them, or stop by their office at some point.

My mental health as it stands, is still a bit shooken up... I'm really thankful everyone here sends their best wishes, it means a lot.

Photos of the damage, taken after I got home.

· Registered
797 Posts
I'm glad you're doing well.

I think we need to kill off about 80% of the deer in this country. We have more now than at any time in recorded history. Way more.

We killed off the wolves and the mountain lions. Most of the bears are gone. Humans are left to do all the deer killing by themselves. We can't get 'em all with guns so we end up getting them with our vehicles. That hurts.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad you're doing well.

I think we need to kill off about 80% of the deer in this country. We have more now than at any time in recorded history. Way more.

We killed off the wolves and the mountain lions. Most of the bears are gone. Humans are left to do all the deer killing by themselves. We can't get 'em all with guns so we end up getting them with our vehicles. That hurts.
I like the animals though... I'd rather see more things to prevent them from crossing into the roads than getting rid of them...

· Premium Member
907 Posts
Glad you are still with us, Reidion. This could have been much worse, although I'm sure you would be quick to point out (correctly) that it could have been better, too. Good luck and speedy recovery. The flesh will be the easy part. Don't let it keep you from throwing a leg over again.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad you are still with us, Reidion. This could have been much worse, although I'm sure you would be quick to point out (correctly) that it could have been better, too. Good luck and speedy recovery. The flesh will be the easy part. Don't let it keep you from throwing a leg over again.
Oh believe me, it won't!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.