CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, and just recently discovered the CTX.

I have come to find several CTX 1300s on an on-line motorcycle sales site.
One dealer in the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex has (still does as of this AM) 3 with slightly different mileage & features.
During one of our phone conversations I asked the sales rep, who appeared to quite knowledgeable, about any issues, parts etc, of buying an out of production model. His statement was that Honda continues to sell a Police version of the motorcycle so parts are not an issue.

I have two questions for this august body,

Pandemic, supply chain considerations aside, has anyone had any parts availability issues?

As best I am able to determine this model was available from 2014-2019, with various yearly differences. Yet the 7-8 units I have come across in TX & CO are all 2014 year models. Have I missed something here?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,067 Posts
Welcome here.
And NOPE. The CTX1300 was only in production in 2014. A ONE year motorcycle. Not the first one year bike ever made. And not the first one year bike HONDA made either. There are no Police versions that I am aware of. That salesman is not as knowledgeable as he may seem. The CTX1300 uses the very same engine and transmission, and some other bits, right out of the ST1300 which was in production from 2002-2012 and does have a Police version that was produced after that... possibly through 2019, though I'm not 100% certain of that. The engine of the CTX was "adjusted" to have a better power output at lower RPM than the ST but that cut into the upper RPM range. It uses regular gas now instead of premium like on the ST. But the transmission is unchanged between the two.

I cannot answer to any possible current parts supply issues, though parts are available somewhere and all the important bits are available still. Due to having so much of it like the ST there are some farkles, and even stock parts, that are marked as compatible for the ST that fit just the same on the CTX.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Welcome here.
And NOPE. The CTX1300 was only in production in 2014. A ONE year motorcycle. Not the first one year bike ever made. And not the first one year bike HONDA made either. There are no Police versions that I am aware of. That salesman is not as knowledgeable as he may seem. The CTX1300 uses the very same engine and transmission, and some other bits, right out of the ST1300 which was in production from 2002-2012 and does have a Police version that was produced after that... possibly through 2019, though I'm not 100% certain of that. The engine of the CTX was "adjusted" to have a better power output at lower RPM than the ST but that cut into the upper RPM range. It uses regular gas now instead of premium like on the ST. But the transmission is unchanged between the two.

I cannot answer to any possible current parts supply issues, though parts are available somewhere and all the important bits are available still. Due to having so much of it like the ST there are some farkles, and even stock parts, that are marked as compatible for the ST that fit just the same on the CTX.
I believe the ST1300 police was available even after 2019. There was a kind of obscure link on the Honda web site but it has been removed. I'm sure I saw it after 2019. It basically read, if you wanted to purchase the ST police model to contact Honda.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
On the years of production, just 2014. But looking for accessories I noticed some other countries would list it for three years, to 2016. One person told me it's something to do with the difference in the laws. Even though it might be manufactured in 2014, it would be sold as a 2016 in that year if it was a new bike sale. That seems crazy to me. A 2014 mfg date is still a 2014 in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Welcome aboard. As stated its a one year bike, 2014. And I believe Gregory is correct that in some other countries they do title a new bike in the year it was purchased. So I guess you could conceivably buy a 2022 CTX1300 if ya found one squirreled away at a dealer in those countries. Maybe one of our European members can clarify that for us?
I had a water pump leak and of all things waited nearly a month for a OEM formed "O" ring for the cover.
I think you'll like the bike, go for it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I poked a hole in my radiator earlier this year. It only took the local Honda shop a few days to get a replacement part.

I've heard that saddle bag lids can be hard to find.

My experience has been that Honda tries to keep parts for bikes for at least ten years after the final production run. Our CTX1300s are getting close to that time. But the ST1300 sold well for many years. Engine parts should be readily available for quite a while.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would like to clear up some of this conversation on the CTX1300 production years and service parts policies. As an American Honda retiree, I am a bit closer to the internal workings but not an expert and I was not in the Motorcycle (Powersports) group. First, the CTX1300 in the USA was only sold as a 2014 model year. Two trims being the standard and the deluxe in three colors each. Canada sold the CTX1300 as a 2014 and 2015 and it was only sold in the deluxe trim. The center stand and heated grips where both standard. Europe had three years, 2014, 15 and 16 as well as some Asian markets. As far as I know, there has been no production since 2016. Second, as far as a police model, it was only in the ST1100 an ST1300 but not as a CTX. Second, Honda as no policy of keeping service parts for 10 years. Some think that this is law, it is not. American Honda keeps parts based on demand and the availability of the suppliers for those items that are not made by Honda. I have seen Honda buy tooling from a supplier that goes under, and I have seen Honda move tooling from one supplier to another when needed. My final point, parts that are referred to as obsolete are sold off to an outside retailer that is in the business of buying warehousing these items and selling to those looking for these parts. So, it is possible to buy parts for a 30-year-old product but not an item for a 2014 CTX1300. Because the CTX1300 shares many parts with the ST1300, these should be no issue for many more years. I hope this helps. I put 17k miles on my CTX1300A and loved every mile of it.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I would like to clear up some of this conversation on the CTX1300 production years and service parts policies. As an American Honda retiree, I am a bit closer to the internal workings but not an expert and I was not in the Motorcycle (Powersports) group. First, the CTX1300 in the USA was only sold as a 2014 model year. Two trims being the standard and the deluxe in three colors each. Canada sold the CTX1300 as a 2014 and 2015 and it was only sold in the deluxe trim. The center stand and heated grips where both standard. Europe had three years, 2014, 15 and 16 as well as some Asian markets. As far as I know, there has been no production since 2016. Second, as far as a police model, it was only in the ST1100 an ST1300 but not as a CTX. Second, Honda as no policy of keeping service parts for 10 years. Some think that this is law, it is not. American Honda keeps parts based on demand and the availability of the suppliers for those items that are not made by Honda. I have seen Honda buy tooling from a supplier that goes under, and I have seen Honda move tooling from one supplier to another when needed. My final point, parts that are referred to as obsolete are sold off to an outside retailer that is in the business of buying warehousing these items and selling to those looking for these parts. So, it is possible to buy parts for a 30-year-old product but not an item for a 2014 CTX1300. Because the CTX1300 shares many parts with the ST1300, these should be no issue for many more years. I hope this helps. I put 17k miles on my CTX1300A and loved every mile of it.
Thanks for clearing up the years issue. I was wondering why I would sometimes see multiple years listed when searching for parts/accessories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts