CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to start my CTX while it was on the center stand and it wouldn't start. Took it off the center stand and put it on the side stand and it started right up. Put it back of the center stand and tried to start it and it didn't start. So I figured this must be a safety feature of some kind. You more experienced riders already knew this I'm sure, but it was a new learning for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine starts up just fine on the center stand and will go into gear too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I start mine on the center stand every morning, then get on, pop it off the stand and off I go.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@revdan,
When you are putting it up on the centerstand, you may have hit the kill switch on the right handle bar. Or hit the sidestand down while in gear?
I don't have the centerstand, so I'm just guessing.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I was wondering the same as Larry in post 5. I also don't have the center stand so cannot give any good reason for this. Honda has not prohibited their bikes from starting while on a center stand before so I'd be surprised if they added that "feature" to this bike... Then again, I just found that the bars only lock while turned left and not right which is different on various models of Honda bikes (the ST1300 will lock both turned left and right).

Just make sure the bike is in neutral to start it whether on the side or center stand. Oh, and the kill switch is not tripped. btdt :eek:

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is no switch connected to the centerstand. Only switch is on the sidestand that kills the engine if it is put down when the bike is in gear. If you are trying to start it while in gear with the sidestand down it won't send juice to the starter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, what I've really learned is how dumb I can be. I was turning the key all the way over to the Accessory position (don't know why). After reading all your responses I went to the garage and tried again and it started. Maybe my CTX was playing an April Fool's joke on me!

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
That's ok.
I once took my wife's scooter to fill the gas tank and while there saw a friend from a few years ago riding a Kaw Nomad. After filling the tank it wouldn't start! My friend rode off since I told him it must be the battery and I only live a few blocks away. Actually I didn't think that since this scooter has a kick starter also and wouldn't start that way either (no battery needed). Tore it apart down to the bare frame before I found out the kill switch was tripped. That's all it was. :eek:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@revdan,
The only difference between you and us is:
You posted.
I have seen more than one biker kill a battery with the kill switch on.
I have seen bikers look all around for the key when it was in the ignition or top box.
The list goes on. Of course, it never happened to me!!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
On my Thunderbird, the computer display switch was right above the starter switch on the throttle assembly. I can't tell you how many times I scratched my head wondering why it wouldn't even turn over when everything seemed to be normal -- key in the right position, lights on bright, trans in neutral, no crank. I'd stand the bike up off the side stand, turn the key on and off, jiggle the shifter to make sure it was really in neutral, grab the clutch a few times, that kind of meaningless stuff, and then all of a sudden it would start just fine.
It's because I was punching the computer display switch instead of the starter; but because the bike wasn't running yet, nothing changed on the display. It happens. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d :515:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@sleepngbear,
Ed, now you posted for all to see. When I post, I try to say it was a friend or another rider.
You'd be surprised at what your so called "buddies" will do to make you earn the monthly "Jack A*s" award in your riding group too.
I don't need help to look bad:

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
@sleepngbear,
Ed, now you posted for all to see. When I post, I try to say it was a friend or another rider.
You'd be surprised at what your so called "buddies" will do to make you earn the monthly "Jack A*s" award in your riding group too.
I don't need help to look bad:
Isn't that what I said? My friend's Thunderbird?! :rotfl9:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Strange.
I'd go by the book and try
FINE-C: fuel (don't have to because electronic fuel), ignition, neutral (not always necessary), engine cut-off switch, and lastly clutch.

If you are already in neutral two things: the engine cutoff switch can be a bugger for some people in humid weather.
The side stand may be sticking. Push it off more forcefully.

Good luck, and please report back with what worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
384 Posts
So had my first ride yesterday. Great but bike won't start in gear. Yes, kick stand is up. Thoughts???
If it starts in neutral I would say it could be your sidestand switch but then it would die as soon as you put it in gear. Maybe you clutch switch is out of adjustment?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm going with @Blutoyz , (for first/most likely guess)
As first guess, clutch lever. While in gear, holding in the clutch, push the starter switch and then wiggle the clutch lever a little up/down to see if it engages.
Wiggle the clutch lever can sometimes engage the switch when it is just a hair out of adjustment. If a lot, that won't work.

Have you (or someone else) replaced the levers? IF so the tabs may engage the switch differently also.

Edit: May have changed/moved something if you adjusted the handlebars.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
FYI so no loose thread hanging.....<patting self on back for intended pun>
It was the clutch lever not functioning correctly after install of heated grips. She has it going now.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was in amusement when a friend kicked over his Harley for almost ten minutes trying various choking and throttle positions. I then noticed after the first few kicks,( yes I know I'm a jackass) but my Honda had an electric start soooooo. Anyhow I finally asked him if he thought he had primed it enough? He looked at me funny, I said he might want to turn his ignition switch to the run position. Boy did that Harley belch smoke. It was almost 90 degrees and humid to boot. At least he got to cool off during the ride.:smiley-party0005:
Another rider had also recognized his error and said nothing:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

Reactions: Willmarth
1 - 19 of 19 Posts