CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had reason to dig out an older video for the link, thought you might like it.
As it shows, you never know what's around the bend which is a good reason for caution when riding!

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Deep in sheep!

Ewwwe!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh wow the sound of that engine. . Its been months since I went on a ride. The weather here is just not friendly enough.
@djrose007 you are absolutely right. Last spring I was riding with a buddy out in the country. We had coms so we can communicate. He likes to ride more aggressively so naturally he is sometimes out of sight around the bends. I was about to give more throttle to catch up when he calls out, "sheep, sheep, sheep." I thought we was actually trying to say a different 4 letter word but still being a gentleman. Just incase I backed off the throttle and sure enough as I came around a corner, there were 6 massive sheep on the road. I was able to swerve around them and thankfully no sheep were harmed. . You just never know.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the video cuts as you shut off the bike... what happened next did you become a shepherd ?
:520::rotfl9::rotfl9::rotfl9:
No, I just stopped to take a still photo of the sheep for my 'Blipfoto of the day'. I do a daily photo journal at www.blipfoto.com/djrose007 but at the moment it is pretty much dominated by grandchildren.
Granchildren are 14, 11, 16 months, 7 months, and identical twins that are nearly 2 weeks old!
However, when I do get out and about I do blip the bike or a still from the journey.
Also blip the dogs but we lost one on 23rd December, still miss the little bugger. https://www.blipfoto.com/entry/2523534298447873349

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a serious accident on a blind curve back in 1982. A rocky hillside slope extended down to a narrow road creating a sharp curve. The road is called "River Road" and as the name suggests it winds around following the river for the most part. At times of high traffic canoe shuttling vans with trailers and buses hauling "weekend river rat tourists" require reductions of speed to 5-10 mph to ease around tubers walking along the road.

I was off from working on a road striping crew at the time and visiting friends I had worked with prior to going on the road. It was during the week and I was taking a ride as they were all working during the day, the road was quiet and had it pretty much to myself.

I was on the inside of the curve maybe doing 15-20 mph. Enough curve and speed to have a lean on the bike. As I was halfway into the curve I was presented with a dumb-ass making a 6 point u-turn completely blocking the road about thirty feet in front of me. Don't remember a thing after that.

Later found out the bike ended up under the passenger side of the car, caught fire, and the driver repeatedly crunch my bike getting off it. Some girl dragged me away from the vehicles and I woke up in the hospital with the 3" gash sewed up in my forehead just above the hairline, some nasty road rash, a small fracture on my foot, and a head concussion that left me somewhat bewildered upon waking up for a few mornings. It was a weird feeling waking up and not knowing who you are, or where you are, for a five or ten minutes until it all comes back to you in bits and pieces. Took about 3 months for all the aches and pains to be gone, road rash and head laceration left scars I carry to this day but not disfiguring in any way. Very lucky that day ...especially since being young & dumb. I had no gear on, no insurance, and no MC license.

The driver was taking his family on a tubing trip, no insurance, didn't speak English, and in a borrowed car. And as far as I know never tried to contact me after the accident. Got all this from a friend whose husband worked for the Sheriff's dept. Did meet the girl who may have saved my life, or at least more severe injuries in a local bar later and we had a few beers together. She refused any kind of gesture of appreciation and that was it.

For years I was constantly reminded of the incident by the 3' round black spot in the middle of the asphalt road. Never saw the bike again, or had another bike until I but bought it's spitting image thirty years later. Took it out yesterday for a spin, and then the CTX.

Definitely a "School of Hard Knocks" lesson I'll never forget.

The blind curve is no longer there. The hill side has been dynamited back for enough to expose the whole curve on approach, when, I do not know, but only hope there hasn't been another accident worse than mine that led to the road work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts