CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my 11-year-old daughter out for a ride today and it occured to me that maybe people had different perspectives on what makes a kid "ready" to be a passenger on a motorcycle. Here's my experiences:
My daughter grew up riding horses, and of course can ride a bicycle. It might not seem important, but she knows about balancing and leaning into corners.
She can easily reach the pedals (she's taller than my wife), and she's an athletic swimmer, so she has some upper arm strength.
She listens attentively and follows directions closely, and is very serious on the motorcycle.
She has her own armored jacket that fits, and will have boots later on this week. She can wear my wife's helmet, but her own helmet will be in this week too.
Most of all: she WANTS to ride with me.
Howbout it, everyone? Do you take younger passengers? If so, who? And what age?
Here's a pic of my daughter pretending to ride Dorothy in a parking lot today:

Reactions: +seventy

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,054 Posts
I see no issue. In NC there aren't any laws that restrict passenger age. I have been taking my son on trips up and down our street as well as around the block since he was able to reach the passenger pegs (5 years old).

It sounds to me like your daughter is prepared and mature enough to ride.

By the way, great looking bike!! I got one just like it!!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, great looking bike!! I got one just like it!!
My daughter punches my arm every time I get off the bike, take three steps, and turn around and say "that sure is a pretty bike, isn't it?"

... I got hit three times just today. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
As long as their feets can reach the pegs and they're comfortable on the back, there's no problem. Of course you ought not go scraping pegs or doing wheelies their first time on board; as long as they're securely in the seat, they should be fine if you ride as you would with any other passenger. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My grand kids, 10 & 12, both enjoy riding with me. I took them on back roads at the speed limit. They especially liked the "wing" with the helmet speakers, but they didn't care for my music.
Just getting on the bikes is a risk, no matter who is handler or passenger. Depends on the responsibility you want to assume.
Enjoy the time with your daughter and teach her safety!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just getting on the bikes is a risk, no matter who is handler or passenger.
Wise words! I do my best to make the ride as safe as possible, but the only way to be 100% sure of not being in a crash is to stay home and watch a movie. :) I try to teach her how to be safe, and to minimize risks, but ultimately it comes down to how confident I am that she will come home with me unscathed and smiling.

Reactions: +seventy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts